Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
momlovk77

Betta bloated or eggbound?

20 posts in this topic

Hi. I know this is a common topic for betta but I can not figure out if she is egg bound or bloated. It's been almost two weeks and her tummy has not gone down. She only had 2 peas to eat within that time. Otherwise she has not eaten anything. Shes been hanging around the bottom of the tank for weeks as well. There is a cat in the house who has been preying on her tank off and on and that is when she started hiding more. 

People from petco are telling me she may be egg bound or she may be constipated so I still dont know. What is the time frame for them to absorb their eggs if she is egg bound? 

Hi please help me. My betta has been bloated for almost two weeks. Petco is saying shes bloated and preganat depending on who I talk to... 

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank)last time I got the water tested at Petco all levels were normal. Minus hard water for az

Nitrite Level(Tank)

Nitrate level(Tank)

Ammonia Level(Tap)

Nitrite Level(Tap)

Nitrate level(Tap)

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) hard water..normal for arizona.

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Strips. Petco did it. 

Water temperature? 78f

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?2 gal. Over a year

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Top fin. 2.1 in la 1.9in wx 3.7in h

How often do you change the water and how much? 25% once a month

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

50% water change less than a week ago. 

How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish. Small betta

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Top fin betta conditioner

What do you feed your fish and how often? Usually 2-4 dry pellets once a day. 

Any new fish added to the tank? Never. A cat has been preying around her tank recently causing her to hide often. 

Any medications added to the tank? No

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Shes been without food for atleast a week and a half. Only recieving 2 half peas in that time. No pellets. 

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Not that I can tell

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? shes at the bottom of the tank 80% of the time. This started when the cat was harassing her. 

Any information will help. Thank you

20190129_223847.jpg.6631490939576e86d77518f39a56f753.jpg

Hi :)

if you can get a photo from top view,  that would be great.  Also if you could get your water tested again, and ask them for the numbers since stores version of fine can be different than what is actually fine.

Right now, I would start by increasing water changes,  since it's a small tank I would do 25% twice a week

You could also try adding Epsom salt to see if that helps to decrease the bloating, if my calculations are correct, you would only need 1/16 of a teaspoon for the tank 

I can go get the water tested again today and get back to you . I have eucalyptus and spearmint epsomsalt is that ok to use? 

20190130_103827.jpg

20190130_103818.jpg

No, you'll need the plain Epsom:)

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20

Ph 7.8

Alkalinity 120

Hardness 100

Chlorine and chloramine 0

Hi, sorry for the delay.

Its hard to tell in your photo, is she pineconed (are her scales sticking out?) at all?

If not I would fast her and treat with plain epsom salt.

If so, I'm afraid I've never had any luck treating a betta once they get to that stage, but if you wanted to try we can

No they aren't from what I can tell. I was going to try daphnia too bc her stomach has not gone down at all. It's been 2 weeks now.

You could try the daphnia as well, that along with the epsom salt. 

Ok,  Will do. Do you have an estimated time frame of with both of these efforts that her stomach should decrease in size? And how often do I use Epsom salt?

I would keep the epsom in the tank for at least a week to start with, and we can see how she responds to that. Hopefully things will improve for her.

Thank u so much!!! I will update any changes. You've been more help than the pet stores and I really appreciate it.

Hi again. I have only seen my fish eat the Daphnia one time. I've tried feeding it to her several times but she doesnt come up to the top to grab food anymore like she use too. I put her in a small bowl since I've tried Daphnia and it doesnt look like shes pooped at all either. 

I feel like theres nothing left to do unless I take her to an exotic vet. 

Hi, I'm asking the other mods for any suggestions 

Hi, I'm afraid all I can suggest is continuing the epsom salt.  You could try bringing it up to 1/8 of a teaspoon in the 2g.

Honestly, and sadly, I've never seen a betta survive getting this bloated :(

Euthanizing is an option if you feel she is badly suffering and nothing is helping. Otherwise you can try the exotic vet who may be able to do tests to find out what is causing the bloating and go from there.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for all your help. How often do I add the Epsom salt?

It stays in the water, so you just need to add it when you do a water change.

Good Luck

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2019 at 7:11 PM, momlovk77 said:

Thank you very much for all your help. How often do I add the Epsom salt?

How is the fish? 

Hi there. Sadly, we put her down a couple weeks ago:(. Her stomach never went down and even looked like it was getting bigger. She began eating the Daphnia regularly but I saw no effect on her. Assuming she wasnt going to survive I felt it was best to let her go so she wasnt so uncomfortable.  I really appreciate all your help. You did more then the Petstores offered!

3 hours ago, koko said: