Kokos Goldfish Forum
Aylarose

URGENT SICK FISH HELP NEEDED!!

Please help! We cleaned my 15 year old goldfish’s 30 gallon tank and then added two new goldfish. We noticed a yellow film on one of his eyes. A couple days later a little red mark appeared. It has grown and now red marks cover his whole body. He often goes up to the surface to gulp for air and his top fin is usually clamped. His gills are red and swollen.What’s wrong with him? Please please please please help :( https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1024988851019547&id=100005253245583&set=a.104630649722043&source=48

Hi, I cannot see your picture.

a 30g tank is really only enough for 1, or at the most 2 fish, but if you fill out this form it will help us to help you :)

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank)

Nitrite Level(Tank)

Nitrate level(Tank)

Ammonia Level(Tap)

Nitrite Level(Tap)

Nitrate level(Tap)

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Water temperature?

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

How often do you change the water and how much?

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

How many fish in the tank and their size?

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

What do you feed your fish and how often?

Any new fish added to the tank?

Any medications added to the tank?

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

"If copy and paste doesn't work for you, quote this post and put your answers after each question."

Please fill out the form.  We can't determine the problem without information. 

Perhaps the new fish carried a disease and/or parasites which infected the old fish.  Perhaps when you cleaned the tank you destroyed the beneficial bacteria which remove toxic  ammonia and nitrite from the water.  

The one action I can recommend is to fill a container of about 10 gallons (a plastic storage tote works fine) with clean water, adding water conditioner to remove chlorine/chloramine from the water.  Move old fish to the container and change 50% of the water daily.  We strongly recommend Seachem Prime as a water conditioner.

I can’t see the fish either, but the other ladies are spot on.  More information and linking the image here will help us help you better :)

I highly recommend the plastic tote method of quarantine. I have used them many times with my own fish and it’s cheap and effective.

Hello, I have filled out as much of the form as I currently can. Please let me know if there’s any other information you need. I will try to link the photo again. 

All water levels are good, PH was high but we added a conditioner to the tank to settle it. We use well water. 

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?: strips

Water temperature: not sure exactly right now, but we moved him from a dark corner to near a sunny window which is also slightly colder since it’s winter 

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?: 30, moved into a smaller quarantine tank. tank has been running for years. 

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?:

How often do you change the water and how much?: every couple of weeks, 50% 

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?: we’ve changed in frequently since he was sick but before he was, the last tank change was about a week prior

How many fish in the tank and their size?: one large fish, got sick after two very small fish were added

What kind of water additives or conditioners?: we used a ph balancer

What do you feed your fish and how often?: regular goldfish flakes, twice daily

Any new fish added to the tank?: two new, small goldfish 

Any medications added to the tank?: since he’s been sick we’ve added a bacterial medication and now we’re using a general illness medication as well as salt bath in a quarantine tank

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?: covered in red splotches, a yellow film over one eye

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?: eating less but still eating, stays at bottom of tank with fin clamped, sometimes sits at top gulping a lot of air

I attached the last clear photo I took. He looks worse now, more red splotches are covering his body. I’m very worried. 

17E99C51-DE67-43FC-A77E-EBC0578D17A0.png

So I am understanding the existing tank had only the single goldfish, and the new guys showed no symptoms? This is your older fish who got sick?

Were the new fish quarantined separately from the older fish prior to introduction?  What did you treat for in quarantine, if anything, and how long was it?

Edited by Arctic Mama

Yes that’s correct, the older one is showing symptoms and neither of the new ones are. We did not quarantine the new ones before adding them. 

17 minutes ago, Aylarose said:

Yes that’s correct, the older one is showing symptoms and neither of the new ones are. We did not quarantine the new ones before adding them. 

Okay then, this very likely is parasitic or viral. I do recommend getting the API liquid test kit instead of strips, though, so we can get more accurate numbers and make sure you aren’t having ammonia spikes from the increased bioload and the like.

Please explain - you said you had done some general treatment and salt.  Can you give me more details?  Which product was your general treatment and how long?  How much salt and how long?  Did you do these two at once?

We are going to need to treat all three fish at once because the lack of quarantine of the new fish exposed all three to the same pathogen that’s causing the symptoms in your older fish, and we risk re-infecting the older fish or the newer fish beginning to show symptoms if we don’t treat them all.

The main tank will need a very thorough cleaning too, if you do treatment in the quarantine instead of the main tank (your choice).

On 1/22/2019 at 9:36 PM, FishyMandy said:

Hi please help me. My betta has been bloated for almost two weeks. Petco is saying shes bloated and preganat depending on who I talk to... 

Ammonia Level(Tank)last time I got the water tested at Petco all levels were normal. Minus hard water for az

Nitrite Level(Tank)

Nitrate level(Tank)

Ammonia Level(Tap)

Nitrite Level(Tap)

Nitrate level(Tap)

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) hard water..normal for arizona.

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Strips. Petco did it. 

Water temperature? 78f

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?2 gal. Over a year

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Top fin. 2.1 in la 1.9in wx 3.7in h

How often do you change the water and how much? 25% once a month

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

50% water change less than a week ago. 

How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish. Small betta

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Top fin betta conditioner

What do you feed your fish and how often? Usually 2-4 dry pellets once a day. 

Any new fish added to the tank? Never. A cat has been preying around her tank recently causing her to hide often. 

Any medications added to the tank? No

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Shes been without food for atleast a week and a half. Only recieving 2 half peas in that time. No pellets. 

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Not that I can tell

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? shes at the bottom of the tank 80% of the time. This started when the cat was harassing her. 

"If copy and paste doesn't work for you, quote this post and put your answers after each question."

Sorry to impose on ur chat. I added my own story earlier and cant find it now. So sorry. 

20190129_223740.jpg

20190129_223847.jpg

6 hours ago, momlovk77 said:

Sorry to impose on ur chat. I added my own story earlier and cant find it now. So sorry. 

20190129_223740.jpg

20190129_223847.jpg

Hi, I copied your information over to your other thread, which is here :)

https://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/topic/127314-betta-bloated-or-eggbound/

On 1/29/2019 at 9:34 PM, momlovk77 said:

Did you mean something bigger than a 2 gallon tank?

If you can I would get the water tested and ask them to write the numbers down.