Kokos Goldfish Forum
Caretta Rose

That clementine was NOT seedless...

I fudged up. Now I'm paranoid.

Today is a lazy Sunday afternoon, so I figured I would give my fish a little treat. They are huge fans of clementines, so not being out of the norm, I take a few wedges and attach them to the suction-cupped clips and put them in the tank. I walked back around about half an hour later and noticed my orange goldie (which looks a lot like a clementine...) doing the "oh-my-god-get-this-thing-out-of-my-mouth" motions. I assumed it was a bit of rind and she would work it out, so I am watching for a few more minutes and nothing is coming out. She's just gasping. She's worrying me now and also ignoring me coming up to the tank (instead of wiggling towards me) and trying to work it out while sitting at the bottom of the tank. I wipe my hands down with some Prime and go in there to pick her up, no struggle. I look down the hatch and I'm not seeing much of anything in her mouth. I let her swim around some more, I walk out of the room to wipe my hands. The few seconds I was gone, I come back and see a big old seed about the size of a fingernail sitting at the bottom of the tank. She started darting around and being very skittish, which I have never seen her do. I've taken the rest of the wedges out ASAP, check them, and all the wedges except for one had no seeds - I found one more within a wedge. These were sold as seedless but I guess you can never be too careful. I will definitely be double, no, triple checking whatever treats I put in there in the future.  She seems to be back swimming normally and foraging, poking around.... I've turned the lights down to give them some peace but I'm still watching like a hawk.

Not sure if anyone is an expert on goldfish anatomy, but I'm REALLY HOPING that she didn't swallow more than just the one and it will later become a future obstruction and certain death. Do you think this is a possibility? Would she still try to 'work it out'? Can a seed go down farther than the throat? I hope she's ok.. guess I'll be watching out for some poop? 😩😩

I think she will be fine. I don't feed my fish things like oranges or anything with large seeds. It just sorta seems like it would be bad for them. Not because of the seeds, but just I can't see fruit doing a goldfish any good. I think she can digest the seed if she was able to swallow it. I think she will be fine. 

There are benifits to feeding fresh fruits and veggies. Vitamin C being the first that comes to mind. Most fish don't manufacture it for themselves and need it from their diet. Plus offering foods of different flavors and textures is a way of enriching their environment. Aside from the gelfood I use as a staple, my guys get a quality pellet, cut up market shrimp, oranges, bananas, apples, pealed grapes, shelled peas, broccoli, zucchini, spinach in rotation. Not because the staple isn't good enough. Its a fantastic food. But variety is the spice of life lol. 

Plus all those veggie offerings keeps them less likely to eat my live plants. Benifit number two atleast.

Edited by Go_redfish

I am all for feeding them certain kinds of veggies. Of course I agree with fresh fish and shrimp sometimes as well. It's fruits that I am on the fence about. Citrus and just fruit in general seems so unnatural when I look at their natural habitat and diet. 

Pellets are dry and somewhat unnatural but the ones with solid ingredients are fine as they contain much of what the fish would eat in a natural pond. Gel food is good, I feed it as well. And I feed bloodworms, shrimp, etc. 

Anything fishy or "seafood" smelling, they go for instantly. Some veggies they aren't thrilled about. So I guess to some extent, they like some foods better than others, but they're not picky eaters. 

My goldfish all live outside and I wouldn't ever attempt a planted tank with them (lesson learned). I don't have a large enough indoor tank for goldfish (also lesson learned) and they get tons of algae outside so I don't feed many veggies anymore. They do enjoy seaweed though. 

We all do what we find works for us and our fish. No criticism from me. When my fancies go out in the spring and summer i provide very little food. Might only feed them once a week because they get all they need from the pond for the most part. But it gets too cold to leave fancies out here in winter. The way I choose to feed is intended to have them well conditioned to go back out after a winter spent in a bleak holding tank. My desire is the biggest, healthiest and most vibrant fish I can get. Its worked well for us in the past so its just how we do it. 

If your way is producing big beautiful happy healthy GF for you where you are then carry on with the great work. ^_^ nothin but love dear.