Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TangerineSpedo

Just Wondering...

i actually mix up several brands and types. i use tetra sinking pellets, tetra staple flakes, tetra sun dried baby shrimp, wardley flakes, wardley crumbles, krill, and tubiflex. also every evening feeding involves vegitables, and occasionally fruit.

maybe they were just out last time, but my last trip to vvvv i wanted to get either sinking pellets or tubiflex worms or something so they could have more than flakes. the only thing i saw were floating pellets. are these ok?

Guest Ssotek

I am also wondering hehe. I was planning on when i get fish to feed them peas and progold food. How often should i feed peas? I gave my old fish shrimp pellets are they good for goldfish?, they sure likes them hehe

shrimp are almost all protien, so when they are young and growing, thats an excellent food. krill are excellent too. they appear to be a larger type shrimp. i have to cut up the tubiflex cubes, because my fish are small, and i think a little bit spoiled.

the flakes will sustain them, but they dont really meet all of thier dietary requirements. supplementing with fresh or frozen vegitables will help them with *ahem* regularity. different brands of foods and different textures will keep them interested in eating. they are much like us in the regard, that if you had to eat the same thing, everyday, for every meal, sooner or later, you wouldnt really want to eat.

i feed the peas a couple of times a week, because they like them so well, but most people say, peas once a week.

Edited by fantailfan

Guest alex

the only thing about floating pellets is that the fish can sometimes gulp in a little air when they're eating, which i think isn't very good for fancy fish especially. i use nishi-aquaria growth pellets, golden sinkers pellets, tetra veggie flakes, bloodworms in gel (i can't remember the brand name :lol ), and peas. oh, and i fed them a slice of orange, which they enjoyed, but i got up the next morning to find bright orange poo all over the tank :yikes - i haven't quite got over the shock yet(!).

Guest Ssotek

I never used progold before i just heard it was good, i used wardley goldfish bites(until they stoped making them) for my old fish those were supose to float but they never did they just sunk hehe, so that was good. Is progold a flake? i havent bought any yet. I'll probable mix the shrimp pellets with the progold then.

Guest I.R.Hassin

Progold is not flake. I have never seen it any of the 5 LFS within reasonable driving distance of my house. I think you can buy it online at goldfishconnection. I use Hikari Lionhead pellets and have noticed growth in a very short period of time.

Tangerine, both BioBlend and Hikari sinking foods I consider in the category of high quality foods. The BioBlend is a easy digestable food for goldies, it sinks in record amount, and I havent seen a fish yet floating when eating it. The Hikari also is sinking food, and I especially like the lionhead enhancer, its small enough to be eaten by even the smaller fish, and I do notice an increase in headgrowth on my ranchu and lions, but I am not sure if I can blame that on the Hikari, since I also feed them tons of bloodworms in addition to other foods.

The petstore hasnt seen me in ages to buy any kind of packaged goldie food. I order both of the above online, and since moving to Kissimmee I can pick up the big pack of Hikari food about 1/2 hour away from me to the same price than online. The only thing foodwise I carry out of stores is bloodworms, tubifex worms, krill and tropical food.

Guest Gamer6789

I feed my Goldfish Wardleys Goldfish Flakes, and Algae wafers.

Hikari Frozen foods.

San Frisco Frozen foods.

Progold Pellets.

and Peas and once in a while Oranges

I feed Pro-gold and their main diet. I feed frozon blood worms and shrimp. And sometimes peas or algea disk. I have some goldfish flack food that I soak and feed for something different about ever two weeks or so.

I purchased Marineland Labs "Bio-Blend" softened pellets but I pre-soak them about a minute before giving them to my moors. I selected this brand because it claimed to boost the fish immune system, was "engineered" to produce minimal tank waste, and had a decent amount of protein (34%). They don't appear to have a hard time finding it at all and they eat it really fast! My only concern is that the food has "natural color enhancers"--since my fish are black they probably don't need this.

I feed my fish 2x/day: 6am and 5pm. They get pellets (am) and a green (pm) or (pre-frozen) brine shrimp (am) and a green (pm). The green is usually spinach or peas (1 per fish) but I'd like to try lettuce too.