Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll
Miss Bad Wolf

How many goldfish max can be in a 55 gallon tank?

6 posts in this topic

I was wondering about how many goldfish can be kept in a 55 gallon tank?  I forgot the ratio of goldfish inch per gallon.

2 hours ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

I was wondering about how many goldfish can be kept in a 55 gallon tank?  I forgot the ratio of goldfish inch per gallon.

You can put about 2 1/2 fish. So I would say 2 fish. Its better to have a long tank than the 55 gallon tall tanks. 

Sharon wrote a great topic on this :)

Two goldfish.  

I can't recommend a 55 for goldfish. It's too big of a tank to only be able to house 2 goldfish. It isn't the ideal shape either. I got tired of trying to deal with it. Keeping 2 fish to me just sucks and even with only 2 fish, I had to do a lot of water changes. I switched to tropicals for my 55. Way cleaner tank and I can keep way more fish. Honestly I would rather get a 20 gallon and keep 1 fish than try to get a 55 which can only truly keep 2 fish. Goldfish stocking can be a true pain in the (REAR). 

4 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I can't recommend a 55 for goldfish. It's too big of a tank to only be able to house 2 goldfish. It isn't the ideal shape either. I got tired of trying to deal with it. Keeping 2 fish to me just sucks and even with only 2 fish, I had to do a lot of water changes. I switched to tropicals for my 55. Way cleaner tank and I can keep way more fish. Honestly I would rather get a 20 gallon and keep 1 fish than try to get a 55 which can only truly keep 2 fish. Goldfish stocking can be a true pain in the (REAR). 

I have to agree. I had one a long ago and almost every fish I had in that tank would have SBD. I kept everything in good conditions and it happened every time to me. 

Once I changed to the 40B tank it hasn't happened so far and I can see my fish are alot happier swimming up and down in it. Also its much much easier to clean and reach the bottom of the tank. I had the hardest time trying to clean the bottom of the 55 gallon tank. Then you got the filtration problems too.

I say if you just want two goldfish get a 40B you will happier in the long run :) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, koko said:

I have to agree. I had one a long ago and almost every fish I had in that tank would have SBD. I kept everything in good conditions and it happened every time to me. 

Once I changed to the 40B tank it hasn't happened so far and I can see my fish are alot happier swimming up and down in it. Also its much much easier to clean and reach the bottom of the tank. I had the hardest time trying to clean the bottom of the 55 gallon tank. Then you got the filtration problems too.

I say if you just want two goldfish get a 40B you will happier in the long run :) 

I've never owned a 40B (and probably never will) but they're definitely more ideal for goldfish and they cost less than the 55. I'm fine with my 55 and I do like it, I just think it kinda sucks for goldfish. Fancies especially. I HAVE taken to single tails lately as well, and I don't know how they'd do but for fancy goldfish... ABSOLUTELY cannot recommend.