Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll
Miss Bad Wolf

Goldfish and guppies

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Is it a good idea to introduce new goldfish into an established guppy tank?  Or is that a bad idea?

edit it is a 55 gallon aquarium with guppies.

Edited by Miss Bad Wolf
Forgot to mention aquarium size

I wouldn't put goldies in with guppies.  They'd likely see them as snacks

• Haha 1

Agree. Bad idea. The goldfish will likely eat the guppies as soon as they're able to. 

Goldfish will find the guppies delicious.

• Haha 1

I have seen goldfish with guppies in the same tank.  Some of the baby guppies go missing, but the goldfish do not eat the adult goldfish.  Are you saying once the goldfish's mouth get bigger than the adult guppies, they will start eating the adult guppies?  I am thinking of getting two new goldfish who will not have big enough mouths to eat the guppies.  I am planning on separating them as soon after I get my own place and get get another aquarium that is a good size.

2 hours ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

I have seen goldfish with guppies in the same tank.  Some of the baby guppies go missing, but the goldfish do not eat the adult goldfish.  Are you saying once the goldfish's mouth get bigger than the adult guppies, they will start eating the adult guppies?  I am thinking of getting two new goldfish who will not have big enough mouths to eat the guppies.  I am planning on separating them as soon after I get my own place and get get another aquarium that is a good size.

good question. There are two good reasons not to combine them together. :)

1. Goldfish will eat anything they can get into there mouths. That includes plants to fry :O

2. Guppies require higher temps than goldfish. Goldfish can be raised in heated tanks but they do do better in just a cold water tank. Guppies need at least 75-80F :O 

On 1/5/2019 at 9:55 AM, Miss Bad Wolf said:

You'll see all sorts of things. I saw a tank full of male Bettas. Doesn't mean you should do it or that its okay. I don't see why you would put tropicals with temperate goldfish anyway. It just isn't ideal. Yes, as soon as the goldfishes mouths get large enough to eat the guppies, they'll be seen as food and eaten. Why not just... Not do this? Doesn't seem that hard? 

I understand it is not ideal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk