Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll
Sign in to follow this  
DieselPlower

Interesting new food on Dr Foster and Smith but concerning as well

6 posts in this topic

I found this food to be interesting but also the instructions concerned me. 10 minutes worth of food? Seems excessive. Great price for a lot of food though and a sinking pellet for those we prefer them for their fish. https://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5470+40440&pcatid=40440

7473a29bbc7f7687221540d683c8c457.jpg22c2d0d3230e47623c585929d3305668.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Is this the orange stuff they started offering last summer?  I bought some of that and mixed it with the small and medium Max growth pellets (which cost half as much).  After a while I began noticing that everything that the water passed through was getting clogged with gummy sticky orange slime which was hard to remove from filter medium even with a strong blast from a garden hose.  I went back to just max growth and the slime went away.  I tossed the rest of the orange food on the compost pile.

Sinking food is the new koi feeding fad after most people realized that the previous fad of feeding high carb, low protein food when the water was so cold the fish could only digest a little bit of food a day was insane.  At least sinking food is harmless to the fish unless you get too much decay in the filters.

No matter what kind of food you toss in, more than they can eat in a minute or two is excessive.

2 hours ago, shakaho said:

Is this the orange stuff they started offering last summer?  I bought some of that and mixed it with the small and medium Max growth pellets (which cost half as much).  After a while I began noticing that everything that the water passed through was getting clogged with gummy sticky orange slime which was hard to remove from filter medium even with a strong blast from a garden hose.  I went back to just max growth and the slime went away.  I tossed the rest of the orange food on the compost pile.

Sinking food is the new koi feeding fad after most people realized that the previous fad of feeding high carb, low protein food when the water was so cold the fish could only digest a little bit of food a day was insane.  At least sinking food is harmless to the fish unless you get too much decay in the filters.

No matter what kind of food you toss in, more than they can eat in a minute or two is excessive.

You might know but what is hydrolyzed feather protein ? I have never seen that before in my life time :o  

17 hours ago, shakaho said:

You can find lots of current research on the food value of hydrolyzed feather meal, like this example:

https://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=jfas.2013.697.705

I read up on this stuff. Interesting but I think I may stay away from that stuff too.

Have you feed it to your fish yet ? 

The fact that they advise the ten minute thing makes me question their knowledge of fish as a whole and thus makes me wonder if they know enough to make a decent fish food. After even 5 minutes, the fish should be way full and any food left is probably just mush.