Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll
DieselPlower

Unscientific keeping a hole open in ice test.

2 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! Every year I see the question "how can I keep a hole open in the ice during winter?" question about 1 million times between a variety of websites. People typically say to use an air pump or a heater, while I typically suggest using a small water pump pointed up to agitate the surface to keep a hole open. That method has worked well for me for approximately 5 Winter is Michigan, where it getting below 0 at times. This year I decided to use a 1000 gph water pump in the shallow end, and in the deep end I have two air stones which are connected to an Aquascape pond air 2. I am interested to see which does a better job keeping a hole open. The air stones are about 3.5 feet down, about a foot off the bottom. The water pump is down about 1.5 feet. In the pictures you can see the water pump is on the right side and the air bubbles are coming up from towards the left side. I wanted to move the air stones further left but I didn't leave myself enough air line when I cut the hoses previously. Anyway, I know this isn't a decisive test on which is better. There are too many variables etc for example the water pump produces much more surface agitation which should give it an advantage. On the other hand the bubbles are coming up tonansurface that is agitated by the water pump so it is kind of like the two of them are working in unison there. This is just for fun. 3a555e875f27a849d9bb82b99fa88d05.jpg8082593686870874c3980471bb923830.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see the results! Keep us updated!