Fishker

Require Emergency help

10 posts in this topic

https://youtu.be/6WOXkLrYAtI

Hey guys,

I was referred to this place by my local fish store. I am hoping that you guys can help me out here. I had my goldfish for the last 7 years. I do water change every week. Sometimes I will skip it and do it every 2 weeks. All was fine till recently I saw him sitting at the bottom of  the tank and I tested the water in the tank and found out the nitrate level was over the roof (80ppm). Nitrite and amonia level were both 0ppm.

I am not sure why this happened. Recently my wall was painted, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I have quarantined it in a small tank with water from my other aquarium - water level is stable. I have attached a video of the situation. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

20181205_173844.mp4

Edited by Fishker

:hi and :welcome 

Please copy & paste the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
  •  Ammonia Level(Tank)
  •  Nitrite Level(Tank)
  •  Nitrate level(Tank)
  •  Ammonia Level(Tap)
  •  Nitrite Level(Tap)
  •  Nitrate level(Tap)
  •  Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  •  Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • Other Required Info:
  •  Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  •  Water temperature?
  •  Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  •  What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  •  How often do you change the water and how much?
  •  How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  •  How many fish in the tank and their size?
  •  What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  •  What do you feed your fish and how often?
  •  Any new fish added to the tank?
  •  Any medications added to the tank?
  •  List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  •  Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  •  Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

"If copy and paste doesn't work for you, quote this post and put your answers after each question."

• Test Results for the Following:
  •  Ammonia Level(Tank)  - 0ppm
  •  Nitrite Level(Tank) - 0ppm
  •  Nitrate level(Tank) - 80ppm
  •  Ammonia Level(Tap) -0ppm
  •  Nitrite Level(Tap) -0ppm
  •  Nitrate level(Tap) -0ppm
  •  Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.6ph
  •  Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.6ph
  • Other Required Info:
  •  Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Drops - API FreshWater Master TestKit
  •  Water temperature? - 73F/23C
  •  Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? - 30Gal / 2+ years
  •  What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?  - Filter name not sure (Regular sponge filter) - for 30-50Gal
  •  How often do you change the water and how much? Every week/ Every 2 weeks depending on my schedule (about 20 %)
  •  How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 8 days ago
  •  How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 goldfish - about 5inch
  •  What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime concentrated conditioner for marine and freshwater
  •  What do you feed your fish and how often? Goldfish flakes (2x a day)
  •  Any new fish added to the tank? - no
  •  Any medications added to the tank? - yes, previously APK fungus
  •  List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - Salt/APK Fungus
  •  Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? - Yes (a small amount on bottom fin)
  •  Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? - bend/sitting at the bottom.

I tried to put it in a quranteened tank from water from other tank but it started curling up and now its bent and sitting at bottom

I would really appriate any help. Thank you

Is the fish currently in the Quarantine Tank? How big is the Quarantine and what is in there? (Filter etc)

I would recommend upping your WC schedule to 50% a week

11 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Is the fish currently in the Quarantine Tank? How big is the Quarantine and what is in there? (Filter etc)

I would recommend upping your WC schedule to 50% a week

I have switched it back to the original tank. However, the fish is C shaped now after I tried to qurantine him. Any advice on what I could do to help the little guy out?

1 hour ago, Fishker said:

I have switched it back to the original tank. However, the fish is C shaped now after I tried to qurantine him. Any advice on what I could do to help the little guy out?

When a fish goes into the C shape its in a bad state. The only thing I can say to do is to do a water change everyday on this fish. It might help, normally a fish like this will die. :( 

Sorry we don't have better news for you :(

It’s unusual to get nitrates that high with a sponge filter.  Are you being sure to strongly whack that sucker out on the side of the tank when you do a water change, along with vacuuming thoroughly any accumulated mulm and debris?