Jump to content
Kokos Goldfish Forum
ABB63

Is my girl pregnant?

Recommended Posts

On 12/7/2018 at 3:17 AM, ABB63 said:

Wow, I was thinking that it would just completely cover everything and attached to all my wood and plants. Now that I think about it all the videos I watched they were all small fish. My kids are big. Now I get they are just going to devour it all. That’s really good news. I’ll come up with a way to grow it on the side. I have some really nice sunny windows in my house. Thanks for all the help everybody. I’m so glad to be on this forum to help take care of the kids

How is your fish doing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, koko said:

How is your fish doing? 

I’ve been feeding them less and watching her. I got some duck weed and gave them that I ran through it all. They seem to be pooping fine, she swims around fine and she seems ok still, so I am hoping it was just too much food.   Thanks for checking on me.  I was really really worried for a while there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ABB63 said:

I’ve been feeding them less and watching her. I got some duck weed and gave them that I ran through it all. They seem to be pooping fine, she swims around fine and she seems ok still, so I am hoping it was just too much food.   Thanks for checking on me.  I was really really worried for a while there. 

If you can feed some more duckweed. I feed it to mine once a month cause the only place I can get it is about 45 mins away 😒

:hug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was growing the duckweed in the window but didn’t grow very well. The leaves stayed really small and they ended up turning brown. I think it’s because it’s been so cold here in Massachusetts. I’ve given them peas since and that has made them poop. I will buy more duck weed. I’ve had to order it because no one carries it at the local pet shops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you growing the duckweed in used fish water?  It does need nutrients.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it was in a 13 x 19 cooking dish. It was right in the window. The leaves were super small and it did not grow like crazy. The cat was drinking the water i think. when i put it in the water it flew all over the tank. they grabbed it but still a lot went into the filter. I went back to peas which they love. She gas been pooping so I don’t think she stopped up like I originally worried about. I was thinking maybe one of the  peas she ate a while back had the shell on it and maybe that was giving her a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duckweed can be messy when it's all over the tank.  I use pre filters on my intakes and the goldfish are happy to pick off the duckweed when they get sucked on.  You could turn off the filters for a moment too and then it's easy to just slurp it off the surface.

A strong light, water change tank water, a few drops of liquid plant fertilizer (I use Seachem Flourish in my other tanks) and my goldfish can't keep up with the duckweed supply and I probably ladle a scoop on most days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dahling8 said:

Duckweed can be messy when it's all over the tank.  I use pre filters on my intakes and the goldfish are happy to pick off the duckweed when they get sucked on.  You could turn off the filters for a moment too and then it's easy to just slurp it off the surface.

A strong light, water change tank water, a few drops of liquid plant fertilizer (I use Seachem Flourish in my other tanks) and my goldfish can't keep up with the duckweed supply and I probably ladle a scoop on most days.

I would love to see a photo of your Duckweed set up :please

I really want to try this :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, koko said:

I would love to see a photo of your Duckweed set up :please

I really want to try this :) 

I took a couple of pics, but they're too big to upload, both about 1.2MB.  I resized so hopefully they're not too small for viewing.

duckweed.tank.small.png

duckweed bin small.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First is my 40g breeder.  I have other plans for the tank in a few months so I set up a second bin beside it, IIRC a 6 gallon plastic storage bin I bought from Costco.  It was sold as a 3 pack.  I also grow daphnia in the water, so I can't use an airstone, just an airline with a light stream of bubbles so the water does not go stagnant.

For the plastic tote, my best success for daphnia is a handful of potting soil.  The daphnia and duckweed takes off with it.  I've had this tote set up for about a month now and it's almost covering the surface.  The light is a cheap LED clip on I bought on Amazon.  Every week a drop of Seachem Flourish and the water is topped up with water from my goldfish tub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dahling8 said:

First is my 40g breeder.  I have other plans for the tank in a few months so I set up a second bin beside it, IIRC a 6 gallon plastic storage bin I bought from Costco.  It was sold as a 3 pack.  I also grow daphnia in the water, so I can't use an airstone, just an airline with a light stream of bubbles so the water does not go stagnant.

For the plastic tote, my best success for daphnia is a handful of potting soil.  The daphnia and duckweed takes off with it.  I've had this tote set up for about a month now and it's almost covering the surface.  The light is a cheap LED clip on I bought on Amazon.  Every week a drop of Seachem Flourish and the water is topped up with water from my goldfish tub.

Is the potting soil in the water? Yes?

And an air stone in there..? 

Oh man I sure want to try this out in the workshop. My fish just love duckweed :)

Photos are just right. I had to change the size of my photos on my phone. so I can upload them. Just go to the settings and make them slightly smaller and it should do the trick :) This is just to keep ppl from uploading the 480000X90000 :lol size .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No air stone, daphnia does not do well with a fine stream of air bubbles.  It gets underneath their carapace and they suffocate.  So just a gentle stream of larger bubbles just to break the surface tension from just an airline.

Yes, regular sterilized potting soil, it has enough nutrients for the daphnia to thrive and their population explodes.  I don't think it makes a difference, but my potting soil is organic.  A side benefit is the fertilizer and other nutrients that the duckweed seems to be utilizing too.  The downside is fishing out all the little bits of perlite from the potting soil.  Once the soil sinks, the perlite would be easier to net out, maybe that would be the better time to add duckweed.  I did not wait.  😡  Daphnia are highly sensitive to toxins in the water and if they crash within a day or 2, I would look at the potting soil.  You can skip the potting soil, I just add it for the benefit of the daphnia, just a handful.  I do throw in some aragonite sand to buffer the water - my goldfish tank water is already buffered with baking soda, so I likely don't need the aragonite sand, but I have it but the poundful.  I throw in a few pieces of bio filter media for the daphnia too...they do add to the nitrogen cycle.

All this isn't necessary if you just want duckweed.  Goldfish water, a broad surface for growth, a gentle air stream, a drop or 2 of fertilizer weekly and a good source of light.  It is duckweed, it's hard to fail with it.

With the pics above, the 40g tank has no potting soil, just duckweed, filter media and goldfish water.  Once every few days, I feed the daphnia, once a week a drop of Seachem fertilizer. The new tub has the potting soil and daphnia.  The duckweed does seem to be doing better with the potting soil.  I think the duckweed in that tub is already several layers deep, too lazy to use it because it still have perlite.  🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dahling8 said:

No air stone, daphnia does not do well with a fine stream of air bubbles.  It gets underneath their carapace and they suffocate.  So just a gentle stream of larger bubbles just to break the surface tension from just an airline.

Yes, regular sterilized potting soil, it has enough nutrients for the daphnia to thrive and their population explodes.  I don't think it makes a difference, but my potting soil is organic.  A side benefit is the fertilizer and other nutrients that the duckweed seems to be utilizing too.  The downside is fishing out all the little bits of perlite from the potting soil.  Once the soil sinks, the perlite would be easier to net out, maybe that would be the better time to add duckweed.  I did not wait.  😡  Daphnia are highly sensitive to toxins in the water and if they crash within a day or 2, I would look at the potting soil.  You can skip the potting soil, I just add it for the benefit of the daphnia, just a handful.  I do throw in some aragonite sand to buffer the water - my goldfish tank water is already buffered with baking soda, so I likely don't need the aragonite sand, but I have it but the poundful.  I throw in a few pieces of bio filter media for the daphnia too...they do add to the nitrogen cycle.

All this isn't necessary if you just want duckweed.  Goldfish water, a broad surface for growth, a gentle air stream, a drop or 2 of fertilizer weekly and a good source of light.  It is duckweed, it's hard to fail with it.

With the pics above, the 40g tank has no potting soil, just duckweed, filter media and goldfish water.  Once every few days, I feed the daphnia, once a week a drop of Seachem fertilizer. The new tub has the potting soil and daphnia.  The duckweed does seem to be doing better with the potting soil.  I think the duckweed in that tub is already several layers deep, too lazy to use it because it still have perlite.  🙄

Oh boy I think Im going to give this a try. I got a small space where I can fit it. My fish just love the stuff and Im tried of driving to get it :lol

Oh thank you so much for the photos and information :thumbs: that was very nice of you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck and have fun with it.  IME, duckweed is so tough, I can't keep it away from tanks that I don't want duckweed.  My duckweed was from the pet store, I thought it best to disinfect it.  So after disinfecting with a hydrogen peroxide solution followed by a vinegar solution, out of a handful maybe half a dozen half dead pieces of duckweed survived.  I gave it time to grow out and now I have too much.

But it would be so much easier if you don't have to cultivate daphnia.  I have smaller tropical fish that enjoys daphnia and I use it to condition my spawning cory's.  Without daphnia, you don't have to worry about feeding them, partial water changes and the mess it makes.  I'm not sure how much food value that little daphnia would have for adult goldfish and the amount of extra time you would need to cultivate them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is good info. I will get some more duckweed and try again. My glass dish was not very deep like the plastic bin is but I was using fish tank water. The fertilizer may make the difference. In retrospect I should have turned the filter off when I gave them the duckweed. I tried a floating feeding square but the water flow blew it right out of the square. 

Can anyone recommend a place to order duckweed. I ordered from 2 people on eBay and both came from California. One was brown by the time I got it. The other was alive and the one I tried to grow but did not thrive. I am concerned about shipping plants during this cold weather in Massachusetts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ABB63 said:

This is good info. I will get some more duckweed and try again. My glass dish was not very deep like the plastic bin is but I was using fish tank water. The fertilizer may make the difference. In retrospect I should have turned the filter off when I gave them the duckweed. I tried a floating feeding square but the water flow blew it right out of the square. 

I was thinking of trying this on my tank.

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/PPI-Aquarium-Breeding-Trap-Net-for-Fry-Baby-Small-Fish/1004555344?iid=331329392112&_trksid=p2047675.m4097.l9055

 

5 hours ago, ABB63 said:

Can anyone recommend a place to order duckweed. I ordered from 2 people on eBay and both came from California. One was brown by the time I got it. The other was alive and the one I tried to grow but did not thrive. I am concerned about shipping plants during this cold weather in Massachusetts. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, koko said:

That will work fine as long as you fasten it to a side of the tank not near the filter outflow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, shakaho said:

That will work fine as long as you fasten it to a side of the tank not near the filter outflow.  

I got one TD helped me put it together. We got it in the tank and realized that we messed up on a piece lol. So had to take it out and fix.

Well show you guys once I get some duck weed 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Checking in again. I’ve been watching my girl since the last bunch of posts. The food quantity is under control. She doesn’t look a lot different and she’s still really active. I’m giving them peas once a week until I can get some more duck weed.  

I tried to upload a new photo but I can’t get the file small enough. 

Edited by ABB63

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ABB63 said:

Checking in again. I’ve been watching my girl since the last bunch of posts. The food quantity is under control. She doesn’t look a lot different and she’s still really active. I’m giving them peas once a week until I can get some more duck weed.  

I tried to upload a new photo but I can’t get the file small enough. 

Try again I adjusted the back end. If your talking it from a phone make sure your photo sizes isnt the biggest one on there. I use the second size on my phone to upload to the site. :)

Was it one photo or more than one. Sorry to ask questions just trying to fix the site :)

Dont forget about the raffle we have going on in the general goldfish area :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks Koko. I tried to do a screen capture. 

CE489FF1-90D1-4214-B095-C70CBE7C5594.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thanks Koko. I tried to do a screen capture. 
CE489FF1-90D1-4214-B095-C70CBE7C5594.thumb.jpeg.893e2e37e27942413c0dfd08bea31753.jpeg
Imo I think she looks a tad bit slimmer, not so much at the belly area but more up by the dorsal fin.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. She has a slimmer line from her tail along her sides up across her back. She is not as square or as wide. I think I was overfeeding them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ABB63 said:

I agree. She has a slimmer line from her tail along her sides up across her back. She is not as square or as wide. I think I was overfeeding them.

Keep up the good work :thumbs: Lets see how she's doing in a few weeks :thumbs:

By the way I love your tank :thumbs: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. We will keep the diet going. And thanks for the comment on my tank. I went to the 80 gallon reef tank for them because I wanted them to have more water per fish and more space to swim. With the mopani now, and the live plants, it is a whole other world. I sit and watch them a lot with the sun coming In the window. It is like your looking under water in a river with the water movement and the light. Now if I can just keep up with the plants they are destroying lol. I found a few they won’t eat but they still love attacking the, and pulling the apart. They have the marimo balls to play with too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
  • Create New...