Sign in to follow this  
ABB63

Is my girl pregnant?

25 posts in this topic

I have a male shubunkin and a female common. They are about 3yo. Recently my female common has gotten a really massive belly. Is she full of eggs? How do I tell?  If she’s going to spawn Do I need to put anything in the tank? Or do I move the eggs out into another tank. Plus, he is chasing her and bumping her like some of the other post have mentioned for behavior.50482090-9B8A-4C4F-9F72-2AC52B2F1E40.thumb.jpeg.89759675a45c95f3489839d2d4f81124.jpeg

Edited by ABB63
Added comment

80623FE7-3931-408C-A609-C7184C6EC12F.jpeg

If she is filled with eggs you really don't have to do much. The male will take care of that for her :) 

Im just a little concerned as the scales are a little out more than normal. I would just keep an eye out on her :) 

Thanks for responding kook.  What else could be causing her scales to protrude? Could she be backed up?  I give them peas every week or so to keep their digestion good. 

4 hours ago, ABB63 said:

Thanks for responding kook.  What else could be causing her scales to protrude? Could she be backed up?  I give them peas every week or so to keep their digestion good. 

Could be old age or something inside. What I would like to suggest is getting her some Duckweed. Duckweed is the best kind of food for goldfish. So if you can find her some and feed it to her for a while and see if that will help. It works better than peas would ever do :) 

Ok. I’ll try duckweed. 

I’ve had Marimo moss balls in the tank.  They have been really ripping those apart. Could that be it? She is only 3 Years old. 

Edited by ABB63
Spelling

I don't think the scales are raised, they're just stretched out because she's so bloated. I'm not sure exactly what the cause of the bloating is. It doesn't look normal to me though. Even eggy females don't usually get THAT full looking. She's very big for a 3 year old fish. How much do you usually feed them, how often, and what type of food? Usually Commons don't get that big humpy shape until they're way older than 3.

I feed them omega one medium size pellets. I am using a teaspoon to drop pellets in. If i had to guess about 15-16 pellets 2X per day. She eats a lo more than he dies. I May be over feeding but they eat it all. She has been slowly getting bigger. Same body shape but bigger over time. 

Also, they are est.  8” long head to tail. 

What does "head to tail" mean?   (People often say this.)

Standard length (a meaningful measure of goldfish length) means tip of the nose to the base of the tail fin.  Total length means tip of the nose to end of the tail fin.  It gives no useful information on the amount of fish you have since goldfish tails have such variability.   Either one could be "head to tail."

On 11/29/2018 at 5:12 PM, ABB63 said:

I’ve had Marimo moss balls in the tank.  They have been really ripping those apart. Could that be it? She is only 3 Years old. 

Nope Moss balls won't do that to them I had them in my tank till both of my fish ripped them all apart.

I would try a diet of Duckweed first and see if that will help :) 

Sorry, to clarify. I meant tip if nose to the end if the tail fin. 

I ordered some duckweed so ill try that. I dont want anything to happen to her. Do you think i need to cut back on the pellets?

When I got home last night I went through the basket under the tank stand and realized I had the 1/2 tsp size scoop in the fish food container and it should have been the 1/4 tsp size. That means I was giving them around 40-50 pellets 2X a day when I thought I was giving them around 15. I new it looked like a lot too. I’ll definately pull back now. 

4 hours ago, ABB63 said:

When I got home last night I went through the basket under the tank stand and realized I had the 1/2 tsp size scoop in the fish food container and it should have been the 1/4 tsp size. That means I was giving them around 40-50 pellets 2X a day when I thought I was giving them around 15. I new it looked like a lot too. I’ll definately pull back now. 

Oh my that is a lot of food for two fish :yikes 

The duckweed will help the digestion :) 

I feel like such a dope. I was so wrapped up in transitioning to my new 80 gallon reef tank with a new stand from my 40B tank I must have started using the larger pellet scoop. I am really hoping she is just overweight and not sick. I can deal with her weight by managing the food correctly. She is acting healthy so it doesn’t seem like she has any illness. 

On 12/2/2018 at 11:26 AM, ABB63 said:

I feel like such a dope. I was so wrapped up in transitioning to my new 80 gallon reef tank with a new stand from my 40B tank I must have started using the larger pellet scoop. I am really hoping she is just overweight and not sick. I can deal with her weight by managing the food correctly. She is acting healthy so it doesn’t seem like she has any illness. 

I have done silly things like that too :)

Well I would still try and find some Duckweed and let them feed on that for a week. It will clean there insides and is very good for them :) Im sure she will slim back down :) 

Koko, I appreciate your support. I ordered the duckweed immediately after you recommended it. It sounds like I should put the duckweed on top of the water and let them eat that only.  I’ll let you know how it goes. 

On 12/3/2018 at 3:50 PM, ABB63 said:

Koko, I appreciate your support. I ordered the duckweed immediately after you recommended it. It sounds like I should put the duckweed on top of the water and let them eat that only.  I’ll let you know how it goes. 

What I do is have it in a bowl and give them a scoop every day sometimes twice a day. :) Hope that helps ya :) 

That’s great advice. I’ve been reading up on duckweed and I don’t want it to take the tank over. I’ll keep it in a separate bowl and feed it to them as you recommended. I just got a fish feeding square to float on top to hold the duck weed and keep it from spreading all over. We’ll see how that works. Ha ha. 

No way duckweed will take over a goldfish tank.  If you put all of the duckweed in your tank today, you would have to buy some more tomorrow, since the fish will have eaten it all.  

If you had only tiny fish with mouths too small to eat duckweed, it could take over, but not with goldfish larger than feeder size.  

Get a tub for the duckweed (a plastic storage tote works fine) and feed the duckweed with the water you remove from the tank when you do a water change.  If you don't have a sunny spot for the duckweed tub, get a grow light for a lamp to provide light for the duckweed plants.

9 hours ago, ABB63 said:

That’s great advice. I’ve been reading up on duckweed and I don’t want it to take the tank over. I’ll keep it in a separate bowl and feed it to them as you recommended. I just got a fish feeding square to float on top to hold the duck weed and keep it from spreading all over. We’ll see how that works. Ha ha. 

With the size of your fish I doubt it will take over :lol I do it this way so I can control how much they have a day and make it last longer.

6 hours ago, shakaho said:

No way duckweed will take over a goldfish tank.  If you put all of the duckweed in your tank today, you would have to buy some more tomorrow, since the fish will have eaten it all.  

If you had only tiny fish with mouths too small to eat duckweed, it could take over, but not with goldfish larger than feeder size.  

Get a tub for the duckweed (a plastic storage tote works fine) and feed the duckweed with the water you remove from the tank when you do a water change.  If you don't have a sunny spot for the duckweed tub, get a grow light for a lamp to provide light for the duckweed plants.

I do it this way so I can control how much they have a day and make it last longer. But I think I might try out the grow light for it as I have seen them on sale lately :thumbs: 

I've been cultivating my duckweed in a 40 gallon breeder tank.  I didn't think that 3 medium sized goldfish could make a dent in my duckweed crop...I was wrong.  They'll gladly inhale all the duckweed I offer it.  

Wow, I was thinking that it would just completely cover everything and attached to all my wood and plants. Now that I think about it all the videos I watched they were all small fish. My kids are big. Now I get they are just going to devour it all. That’s really good news. I’ll come up with a way to grow it on the side. I have some really nice sunny windows in my house. Thanks for all the help everybody. I’m so glad to be on this forum to help take care of the kids