Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll
GGal90

Help! Holes in my goldfish tail, possible finrot? Prolonged issue🙁

45 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, GGal90 said:

Haha!! Well I did go with your initial suggestion and treated entire tank (drained tank to half ) with the sponges in. Fingers crossed 🤞

Just waiting to finish the course by Thursday evening & I am planning to fill the tank back to full and resume with water changes 75% on Sat as usual. Hope thats fine?!😊

Thats just how I did mine twice. Didn't seem to have an issue at all :) 

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2018 at 11:56 PM, koko said:

Thats just how I did mine twice. Didn't seem to have an issue at all :) 

So the course is complete. But today I noticed clear white long worm like poop from the red cap orande which had its tail torn last. So does this mean I need to start any new meds or just wait and see?! What am tryin to say is how can I confirm they are cured?! Any tips?😇

5 hours ago, GGal90 said:

So the course is complete. But today I noticed clear white long worm like poop from the red cap orande which had its tail torn last. So does this mean I need to start any new meds or just wait and see?! What am tryin to say is how can I confirm they are cured?! Any tips?😇

Lets give them a few days with no meds.

Can you get Duckweed? 

On 12/1/2018 at 10:21 PM, koko said:

Lets give them a few days with no meds.

Can you get Duckweed? 

Hmm couldnt get duckweek but I did just buy new aquarium plants. I kept them in salted dip and then introduced into main tank, but now I noticed the redcap oranda got achor worm:ill

I manually removed the worm using forceps and gave a salt dip for 5mins. Hes healed up but a smaller gold fish I could see is not healing up the place where the worm was is still red with a white puss like dot maybe. Did salt dips for 3 days any toher option?

Sorry I know this seems like its never ending!!

Its been 5days since the anchor worm issue and i think its safe to say the issue is resolved for now😊 Thanks to all who had responded :thumbup2:

On 12/11/2018 at 5:32 AM, GGal90 said:

Its been 5days since the anchor worm issue and i think its safe to say the issue is resolved for now😊 Thanks to all who had responded :thumbup2:

Im sorry I didn't reply. I been so busy with the little ones school.

Did the worms just show up? or have they been on these fish? 

16 hours ago, koko said:

Im sorry I didn't reply. I been so busy with the little ones school.

Did the worms just show up? or have they been on these fish? 

Aw no worries Koko!! I think the worms may have come from the new plant. I havent seen any other worms after it so not sure if theres any eggs left. 

Only thing am worried abt is tht am not really seeing any poop after I feed em except for maybe one fish. Shouldn't they ideally be excreting like within half an hour of eating? Thought il feed em peas from today. I have been feeding em Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets twice a day.

http://www.hikari.info/gold/g_05.html

8 hours ago, GGal90 said:

Aw no worries Koko!! I think the worms may have come from the new plant. I havent seen any other worms after it so not sure if theres any eggs left. 

Only thing am worried abt is tht am not really seeing any poop after I feed em except for maybe one fish. Shouldn't they ideally be excreting like within half an hour of eating? Thought il feed em peas from today. I have been feeding em Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets twice a day.

http://www.hikari.info/gold/g_05.html

Anchor worms normally don't come from plants just other fish. How are the fish doing? 

The poop should be nice and short and not long and stringy :)  Are you making sure they both get the food. I know my Ranchu likes to eat it all before my Moor gets to it :o 

1 hour ago, koko said:

Anchor worms normally don't come from plants just other fish. How are the fish doing? 

The poop should be nice and short and not long and stringy :)  Are you making sure they both get the food. I know my Ranchu likes to eat it all before my Moor gets to it :o 

Let me show you🙃 All fish seem fine no lethargy or physical issues seen. Fed them peas but still no poop from big fishes. its sometimes clear and stringy long which kinda worries. Short red poop is only what i have seen from the smallest goldie. attaching pic.3632EE19-8718-431E-B736-2F976A4B29F1.thumb.jpeg.3d546c33b9f4ab092f33cac128693697.jpeg

Attaching  pics of the plant also, its with the pot so maybe worm came from there. I have been planning on adding sand, but not sure if it will irritate them more🧐  I know this is disease forum, I just dont want any diseases due to the new sand😝 It says sand is marble / granite powder?! So kinda confused.

1. Foodie Puppies Sugar Black  Sand https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07JB22NXD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9p.eCb2D65VD7

2. Colourful Aquarium Sugar Type White Color Sand Gravel 3Kg https://www.amazon.in/dp/B06WLJJ6Y7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ot.eCb4SFVB29

3. PLATINUM Aquarium Substrate Plant Soil (3L) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0180II5QE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2l.eCbKNTT883

56BD6780-8ADA-4754-8258-A990CC07C8B0.jpeg

DFE96506-9111-4090-A4B8-3B40F76DA41A.jpeg

When did we do the General cure? 

1 hour ago, koko said:

When did we do the General cure? 

Nov 25th started!

I would like you to do another round of General Cure if you have it. If not I would order some more.

If this doesn't fix it this time around then we need to find or look into something else. :) 

On 12/15/2018 at 11:44 PM, koko said:

I would like you to do another round of General Cure if you have it. If not I would order some more.

If this doesn't fix it this time around then we need to find or look into something else. :) 

Completed the course however this time I treated 50gallons water and end of the course ie 4th day changed only 50% water. I could still see 1 clear poop in the water during water change yesterday...hm any suggestions I am thinking this maybe the reason why my goldie never got bigger within the 1year I had her(jan5 2018 got her!)

Secondly i noticed white stringy  short worms in water yesterday. Attaching a video.  Now I remember i had seen these in the water after a water change once there were atleast 20-30 white worms swimming around. Dad just mentioned fishes would eat it. I noticed they died during the furan2 treatment which is why I didnt mention😑

Should we try anything else ?  Btw my sand or plant soil substrate is gonna come soon..so in future i am guessing treatments should be fine with same or should I wait

18 hours ago, GGal90 said:

Completed the course however this time I treated 50gallons water and end of the course ie 4th day changed only 50% water. I could still see 1 clear poop in the water during water change yesterday...hm any suggestions I am thinking this maybe the reason why my goldie never got bigger within the 1year I had her(jan5 2018 got her!)

I still notice some tears in the fins too. At this point I would try a .3% salt in the tank for about 2 weeks. This will kill alot of things and since we have Prazi and Metro the tank, this would be about the only thing I would treat with right now.

Secondly i noticed white stringy  short worms in water yesterday. Attaching a video.  Now I remember i had seen these in the water after a water change once there were atleast 20-30 white worms swimming around. Dad just mentioned fishes would eat it. I noticed they died during the furan2 treatment which is why I didnt mention😑

Those worms show up when there is to much debris in the tank or from over feeding them. I would cut down the food. I would make sure all your filter water is dumped out every time you do a water change and that should be at least 50% once a week. More if you can. 

Should we try anything else ?  Btw my sand or plant soil substrate is gonna come soon..so in future i am guessing treatments should be fine with same or should I wait

Sand won't hurt anything just the filter intake if you get some into the motor part. Make sure you have the filter turned off and I would also not turn on the filter for about 5 mins after you fill the tank back up. This allows the sand to settle down before turning them on. 

How is everything? 

6 hours ago, koko said:

How is everything? 

Sorry I have been away. Was busy with work. Anyway some updates are:

1. Got new soil substrate and fish actually seem to be loving it. So i didnt do any treatments until they got acclimatized to it.

2. Got 2packets of Gen cure again to start treatment. Couldnt start with the salt treatment.

3. I noticed that the smaller oranda fish was actually pecking on the red cap oranda. Even chewed on the tail end, so now am thinking maybe this was what caused the tail damage? So i ordered a small tank waiting for delivery. How do i get rid of this aggressiveness?

Lastly got microscope and tried checking scrape sample and clear poop for flukes or any organisms!! I was just curious but the microscope didnt show any moving particles! Anyhow i ended retuning the microscope.

So right now am waiting to change water tomorrow and start the gencure treatment 2 rounds and isolate the aggresive goldie to quarantine tank. Suggestions?

494C5618-C10E-4776-8BA6-64B4BDD8D279.jpeg

F7D0DC4C-FCFA-4389-9EE5-05375BACE989.jpeg

8C765CCA-8256-419D-B171-223D6AA0830C.jpeg

*63 gallons running for a yearTank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

250gallonWhat is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

I got a question about your filter. Do you only have one filter that runs 250GPH also can you tell me the name of it? you need a filter or filters that do totally 630 GPH for the right filtration here. 

Also we are kinda pushing the tank size here. Goldfish need 20 gallon per fish to make them happy. With out giving them enough room sometimes they will peck at ones that at sick.  

The tube I see in the tank looks like a canister. Canisters don't have to turn over as much as HOB filters to be effective. But the fish still seem to have issues so there's something still up. 

On 1/10/2019 at 3:49 AM, koko said:

*63 gallons running for a yearTank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

250gallonWhat is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

I got a question about your filter. Do you only have one filter that runs 250GPH also can you tell me the name of it? you need a filter or filters that do totally 630 GPH for the right filtration here. 

Also we are kinda pushing the tank size here. Goldfish need 20 gallon per fish to make them happy. With out giving them enough room sometimes they will peck at ones that at sick.  

Hey Koko! Sure, so I think i may have gotten the filter details wrong. The tank is RS 100B it came with a filter but I had to replace it in april 2018. So that is the SOBO WP 3990 Submersible powerhead. Its said to have Max Filtration 2800L/hr. Attaching pics.

Also i did a water params test today, everything aeems good. Last week ammonia was slightly yellowish green 0.25 but today all are at 0. So i think the soil did really good in getting back the cycle. Barebottom was a struggle. Last water change was on Dec 28 and all params are fine. So I am a bit reluctant on using the gencure, i did try inserting a few specks of Gencure into peas and fed em. Now i dont see as much of clear poop issue. And regarding the size yea maybe il try getting that 20gallon tank and shifting the small one into it ☹️

On 1/10/2019 at 9:10 AM, mjfromga said:

The tube I see in the tank looks like a canister. Canisters don't have to turn over as much as HOB filters to be effective. But the fish still seem to have issues so there's something still up. 

Na not a canister, its an overhead filter? Yea fish tail seems to be getting torn but they seem really active other than that. Like grazing the soil pecking for food or swimming around. 

2F9F13B1-34E8-44F8-BB15-6AF40A606E2F.jpeg

D63CD477-0765-4AC9-B0BC-7A94BF94CE19.jpeg

A5EFF9A0-D7EC-4165-965D-F7DFF2A04A8D.jpeg

On 1/14/2019 at 11:16 PM, GGal90 said:

Hey Koko! Sure, so I think i may have gotten the filter details wrong. The tank is RS 100B it came with a filter but I had to replace it in april 2018. So that is the SOBO WP 3990 Submersible powerhead. Its said to have Max Filtration 2800L/hr. Attaching pics.

I got a suggestion for your power head. You can attach a sponge filter to it, then you have the power head pushing the water but the sponge as a filter. :)

On 1/14/2019 at 11:16 PM, GGal90 said:

Now i dont see as much of clear poop issue

Thats great news to hear. Yeah I don't like the use meds but if it did the trick Im so glad :)