Yocker

unusual lines on tail fin

3 posts in this topic

hey everyone,

my fish has been acting strange as of late. for a while he was just acting quiet and stressed out so i just decided to leave him alone in fear of adding to the stress. he wasn’t eating for a couple of days so i reduced the amount i was feeding him. he started acting a bit more social so i started to feed him his usual amount. i noticed that he was struggling to swim and he wasn’t moving his tail fin often so i investigated. i found the strange white/pinkish lines across his tail. i couldn’t seem to find anything like this while searching online. i apologise if i gave an unnecessary amount of information, but i wanted to give the full story. it’s also worth mentioning that his tank mate died of strange, unknown causes before he became timid and stressed. when the other fish died his. usually black and gold body was white and pink. the now dead fish made a habit of eating pebbles and i’m not sure if that was related to his death.

4B1A20DB-FD23-4749-BFF3-F7DA1FF44162.jpeg

82E19160-8C8E-4B1F-878C-74D07EB54C18.jpeg

Hi there and welcome to the forum!  Thank you for the backstory and images.  We will do our best to help, but need some more information and images.  If you can get us a picture of the entire tank from a distance, as well as a closeup or him in your hand or in a white bowl or clear glass with bright light - I’d really benefit from a macro shot of his tail close up.

Is the white cottony looking? Slimy?   Can you wipe or scrape it off with a finger? Is the  tail under it intact or rotting away/wounded?

Please fill out this form as completely as possible, we absolutely have to know as much about your water parameters, filtration, tank history, etc as possible :)

Disease Diagnostic Form

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* How long have symptoms been going on?

On 10/19/2018 at 3:59 AM, Yocker said:

hey everyone,

my fish has been acting strange as of late. for a while he was just acting quiet and stressed out so i just decided to leave him alone in fear of adding to the stress. he wasn’t eating for a couple of days so i reduced the amount i was feeding him. he started acting a bit more social so i started to feed him his usual amount. i noticed that he was struggling to swim and he wasn’t moving his tail fin often so i investigated. i found the strange white/pinkish lines across his tail. i couldn’t seem to find anything like this while searching online. i apologise if i gave an unnecessary amount of information, but i wanted to give the full story. it’s also worth mentioning that his tank mate died of strange, unknown causes before he became timid and stressed. when the other fish died his. usually black and gold body was white and pink. the now dead fish made a habit of eating pebbles and i’m not sure if that was related to his death.

Please fill out the forum that AM has posted so we can help you :)