yuthefool

pH dropping to 6.0 constantly

9 posts in this topic

I currently owning a 65 gallon cycled tank with 5 fancy goldfishes. ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate pH 6.0. I don't understand why PH keep dropping to 6.0? I do 25% water change every 5 days, sometimes every 2 days. The PH from tap water was tested 7.6 after sitting in the bucket for 24 hours. I only had two fake plant decor. Do too many goldfish drop the PH?Even I kept the ammonia low? The goldfishes are 2-3 inch btw.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

You're pretty badly overstocked. Your KH clearly isn't where it should be. You'll need the API KH test kit to test it. Do you have driftwood in your tank? 

Yes, I do have whole kit. I test it somewhat often. It's just the PH that bothers me, other things Ammonia nitrate nitrite are perfect. I don't have drift wood in my tank, may I ask what's KH

Please start by reading our Guidelines for Healthy Goldfish.  

Yes, too many fish and too little water changed can lead to low pH.  Some of the metabolites produced by the fish have an acidic pH. 

Your nitrate reading of zero strongly suggests that your nitrate test isn't working.  If all of the ammonia those fish produce get converted to nitrate you should see a nitrate of 40 ppm or more before a water change.   Do get the API drop test and follow the instructions exactly.  

Try this for a start.  Change 50% of the tank water and test the pH.  Tomorrow, test the pH of the tank water, then change 50% of the water and test pH again.  Please report your results so we can try to figure out what is happening. 

Don't worry, I won't tell you to change 50% of the water every day.  :) 

Edited by shakaho

I had the kit for a year, and I did tested the nitrate it hits 40 ppm after cycling. The highest nitrate it went was 10-15ppm, but I do frequently change water, and brought ammonia and nitrate to 0. I'll try what you do and see how it goes. Thanks! I'll keep update .

KH is the carbonate hardness of your water. Low KH can cause pH swings. Follow Shakaho's instructions and then we can go further to see what the issues are. 

PH 6.5 AMMONIA 0.5 NITRITE 0 NITRATE 0-5 IN BETWEEN

On 10/18/2018 at 12:08 PM, shakaho said:

I guess I wasn't clear.  I requested three pH measurements:

Try this for a start.  Change 50% of the tank water and test the pH.  Tomorrow, test the pH of the tank water, then change 50% of the water and test pH again.  Please report your results so we can try to figure out what is happening. 

22 hours ago, yuthefool said:

Which test was this?  The 0.5 ppm ammonia says either your tank isn't fully cycled or you have ammonia in your tap water.  Please test your tap water for ammonia, nitrate and pH. 

Do you use Seachem Prime for your water conditioner?  Prime will make the 0.5 ppm ammonia safe for your fish if you use it daily.

On 10/19/2018 at 6:58 AM, yuthefool said:

How are things going for you?