RavensStartFires

I qt'd for two weeks- they have ich, worried it's more than that! Please help.

14 posts in this topic

The list:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank 7.4 (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 78f
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallons, 3 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 bactosurge xls, Aquaclear 105, aqua clear 40
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? when they were healthy- 33% weekly. Now that they have issues- daily either 90% or 50%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 orandas, all around 4 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? i use prime and stress coat everytime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy weekly, frozen peas every other day, Hikari fnacy goldfish pellets daily.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Yes, 10 days ago after 2 week quarantine
  • * Any medications added to the tank? first round of prazi pro just finshed 48 hours ago. Then I did a 90% change and added salt.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. przipro for 3 days, drained 90%, added salt at .01%
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? All fish have ich.

Each fish and the symptom:

Ginko: flashing, rubbing, knocked off scales against thermometer, sitting at bottom of tank, stingy poop, though some is still normal. Gills may be working harder than normal.

Orson: going between active and tank sitting. Slight purplish stripe on belly. Flashing, rubbing. Gills may be working harder than normal.

Edmund: Flashing, rubbing, stringy poop, though some is still normal.

Pachinko: (new fish): Normal! 

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Listed above.

A few more words: All fish still eating well. I just got Pachinko three weeks ago. Did a two-week qt with prazipro (two doses) and salt. Added her to the big tank and two days later she had ich spots. Put her back in QT, but too late. They all have it. Now they are all in the same tank. I gave the tank one dose of prazipro bc I thought the flashing was gill flukes. Then they showed up with ick. I emptied the tank 90% , refilled,and added salt. Raising the heat to 86f, it is now at 78f. I woke up this morning and noticed a purple tinge to Orson's belly. He has a black belly stripe normally, but now it has a purple tinge. I am still raising the salt to get to .03%, but i have spent all morning trying to decide whether or not to qt Orson and treat for hemmoraghic septicemia.

IMG_20181009_111148.jpg

IMG_20181009_111156.jpg

This is why a quarantine of two weeks is not long enough. I had a fish get ich a bit over two weeks into QT as well. I see a TON of foam/bubbles on the surface of the water. What additives are in there currently? 

Posted (edited)

I completely agree. I just got into fishkeeping over the summer and I do completely agree about 2 weeks. I wish I had not seen that number so many times over. 

Prime, stress coat and .01% aquarium salt.  I did prazi for 4 days and then took it out via a 90-95% water change 2 days ago. Then the salt was added. My husband wants me to add ich meds but i really need to hear from this awesome forum before i do anything else.

There is a giant air plate/bubbler in the middle.

Edited by RavensStartFires
airstone

Posted (edited)

Don't add any ich meds yet. The water shouldn't have all that foam on top. The cause of that needs to be discovered. What sort of salt did you add? Are you SURE nobody added any meds? Some meds can cause a surface foam like that and the fish look like they're hanging out near the surface. The water looks to have a bluish tint as well. Ich meds are bluish greenish.

I am very worried about the red belly dude. I saw a fish get that symptom. Within a day, it had crashed to the bottom. Within two days it was gone. Autopsy revealed it had either a very diseased or ruptured liver. The liver looked nothing like it was supposed to. But there would have been no saving the fish so treatment would have done us no good in that situation.

If he is the one displaying the sitting and really off behavior, I'm wondering if beginning an antibiotic is a good idea with him. I'm going to wait for an additional opinion. @Arctic Mama and @shakaho would you mind having a look here? That dark red looks like GI or internal bleeding. It worries me. In a fish with black fins where you can't see streaking and on a fish that isn't on the bottom it seems unusual. 

And whoever you bought the ichy fish from... Probably a good idea to notify them that less than a month from purchase the fish developed ich. I am a consultant BTW. I help as much as I can and I notify the assistants who have more experience than me. Please hang on. Hopefully one of them will turn up soon. 

Edited by mjfromga

Thank you for all of this.

My living room is painted bright aqua, so the blue comes from that. No one has added anything else, but I did take out the carbon filter to add the prazi. Perhaps I should buy another? Maybe water change didn't do enough? Luckily everyone in the home respects that I am the only one who should ever dose anything- so we don't go down the road of medicating confusion.

So, Orson, with the belly, was bottom sitting this morning but is acting normal-ish for the past several hours. His gills do look labored. Oh, I am so worried!

Gingko is doing the most bottom sitting. Right now they are all acting the most normal they have all day.

None of them are behaving normally. They're all clamping their fins and I also see some jerky swimming and NONE of them are breathing normally. I also see the white poop. I would do another water change. That surface foam is odd.

I pulled my little Oranda boy from QT for you to compare with. It rained today so excuse his water clarity. His breathing is way slower than your fish. His fins are held normally (not tight against his body). He swims the entire depth of the water. And his poop is brown. He's not happy about being in a tiny display tank but still. 

With that said... The ich I see is pretty bad on your guys which explains their behavior for the most part. It will get worse before it gets better. That's just how ich is. I love your babies BTW. 

VID_20181009_162150.mp4

You said you are still trying to raise the salt to 0.03%.  I hope you meant 0.3% since you need at least that much to treat ich. 

How much salt did you add to how much water?  Please read this.

While fish might feel a little uncomfortable with a quick change from 0 to 0.3% salt,  ich can kill them.

While raising the salt concentration won't hurt the fish, raising the temperature from 78 to 86 within a few days could be damaging to sick fish.  Try 2 degrees increase per day.  With the full dose of salt, you shouldn't need warming beyond  82F.

• Like 1

Hello, thank you for your response. That was a typo about the salt. I meant .1 to .3%.

So, the carbon filter is in and I am doing a water change right now. I will follow you advice to the letter on the salt and heat. 

I just came home though, and see that Ginkgo, the orange one, has red streaks on her tail!

Take the carbon out of the filter for any treatments please :)  I agree with Shakaho - raises the salt and keep it there for the ice treatment.  They may pout, but unless you see gasping or listing to the side continue the treatment.  

Antibiotics or other treatments may be needed, but the salt and heat are your best first step.

Can you post a pic?