Sign in to follow this  
Shahbazin

Talk to me about moving long distance with fish

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I haven't been posting much for a while, but still have Ghost & Rainbow, both pretty big fish now. We are planning to relocate this winter to another state, and will probably be on the road for 3 days and 2 nights. I was planning on bringing our goldies in separate 5 gal buckets, with battery powered bubblers, & bringing them in the motel room at night. Should I be doing daily partial water changes with Prime along the way? I was thinking we could set them up in a 100 gal stock tub in the garage until we can test their tank & get it set up (using the filters in the tub) - do I need to heat the tub as long as it doesn't freeze over? I'm guessing I should fast the fish a week before the trip, if they're going into a winter climate?

40845670672_b0f379c24c.jpg

Edited by Shahbazin

Gosh I wish I could offer help. I have no idea at all lol. Hopefully someone can offer advice. . Fishies are looking pretty good.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shahbazin said:

I haven't been posting much for a while, but still have Ghost & Rainbow, both pretty big fish now. We are planning to relocate this winter to another state, and will probably be on the road for 3 days and 2 nights. I was planning on bringing our goldies in separate 5 gal buckets, with battery powered bubblers, & bringing them in the motel room at night. Should I be doing daily partial water changes with Prime along the way? I was thinking we could set them up in a 100 gal stock tub in the garage until we can test their tank & get it set up (using the filters in the tub) - do I need to heat the tub as long as it doesn't freeze over? I'm guessing I should fast the fish a week before the trip, if they're going into a winter climate?

I traveled with a fish for 2 days once years ago. The only thing I really did for the fish was change out the water 50% once and added some prime. I had gotten the fish from a friend that lived 4 hours away but I was in a meeting for 2 days and the fish had to stay with me in a bucket :o 

I would not feed them about 2-3 days before you start your trip, do water changes +prime once a day and with a battery powered bubblers, they should be fine. :) 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 2:00 AM, Shahbazin said:

I would have each fish in a plastic bag inside a five gallon with a battery bubbler in each bag. 

I would take the biomedium from their filter and distribute it between the two bags. 

Ideally, you would put the biomedium in net bags and place them right over the bubblers.  This should make the biomedium function as well as it did in in the aquarium filter at home, or at worst, nearly as well.

I would also carry some of your home water with you for small daily water changes.  I would bring the fish into the motel each night, siphon out any waste in the bottom of the bag, test the water, and put in a dose of Prime with your fresh water.  I think you won't need the Prime for ammonia/nitrite protection, but it won't hurt the fish and it gives some added insurance.  

I would fast the fish one day before leaving.  I wouldn't feed during the trip unless I had some no-protein veggies for them (no peas, but leafy greens are fine).

Goldfish can tolerate a wide range of temperatures, but not sudden changes.  If you were in a moderately cold winter climate, pond fish would experience water temperatures that gradually decreased from September through December, and survive even after the pond freezes over.  If you took fish adapted to 75F and put them in a stock tank with water that dropped to 55F overnight, your fish would suffer temperature shock which they might not survive.

Why do you want to put them in a 100 gallon stock tank?  Are you planning to use it as a pond?  If so, I would recommend a 50 gallon stock tank in the house.   If you just want a temporary holding tank, I strongly recommend an underbed storage tote inside the house.  These would all work:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00130129/

https://www.target.com/p/underbed-box-clear-41qt-blue-room-essentials-153/-/A-53332172

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selections-Bella-Storage-Solution-18-Gallon-70-Quart-Clear-Underbed-Tote-with-Latching-Lid/50157794

When dealing with containers 12" or less in height or more than 18" tall, the best stocking level determinant is surface area, not volume.  You want 2 square feet or more per goldfish.  

• Like 2

OK that is very useful info on acclimating to temp - I was remembering goldfish I had outside in a watering trough that would get ice on it in the winter, but wasn't thinking of the long acclimation process. Hmmn... I was hoping to put the fish in something bigger (already own the 100 gal tub, the fish lived in it in my garden their 1st two years, & the outside temps were in the 40s in the winter) right away, then set up their tank after a while & check for leaks, but I may need to rinse out a couple of totes & do frequent water changes for a while if they're going in the house. I don't think that the garage of the house we're looking at is heated.

Look into a 300 gallon stock tank for long-term use.  You can make a filter from a 30 gallon plastic drum, which you can usually find on Craigslist. 

You can put a little Walmart filter on these underbed totes.  Just remove the cartridge and put in some of your cycled medium.  You also have to play around to determine how to support the filter, but you can do it.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 9:22 PM, Shahbazin said:

OK that is very useful info on acclimating to temp - I was remembering goldfish I had outside in a watering trough that would get ice on it in the winter, but wasn't thinking of the long acclimation process. Hmmn... I was hoping to put the fish in something bigger (already own the 100 gal tub, the fish lived in it in my garden their 1st two years, & the outside temps were in the 40s in the winter) right away, then set up their tank after a while & check for leaks, but I may need to rinse out a couple of totes & do frequent water changes for a while if they're going in the house. I don't think that the garage of the house we're looking at is heated.

How did it go? 

Hi Koko!

I have the fish back outside in the stock tub in our yard in CA, while I'm trying to sell their glass tank (too expensive to ship, we're taking the stand & accessories, will look for a used tank upon arrival) - moving truck comes next Monday, & we leave a week from tomorrow :)  

10 hours ago, Shahbazin said:

Hi Koko!

I have the fish back outside in the stock tub in our yard in CA, while I'm trying to sell their glass tank (too expensive to ship, we're taking the stand & accessories, will look for a used tank upon arrival) - moving truck comes next Monday, & we leave a week from tomorrow :)  

Oh boy! I remember traveling with mine. From CA to Oregon. It sure was interesting, Worring about them and just hoping they where going to make it. They did but One died about 2 months later cause I didnt check the KH and PH very well here and I had a major PH crash burning one :( But this was along time ago when I didnt really know better. :(

I think you will do good :thumbs: Just remember to check your water in the new place :)

On 11/7/2018 at 9:18 PM, Shahbazin said:

Hi Koko!

How did it go? how is everything? 

Hi Koko!

We're still unpacking, but we're all here! The fish have survived the trip in their buckets, and are now sharing a plastic tub, until I can find them a tank. We just got our internet back 3 days ago. We stopped in Phoenix, AZ; Santa Rosa, NM; Wichita, KS & Des Moines, IA on the way here - the first night, we left the fish in the car, but after that it was cold & we carried the buckets into the motel room each night (along with the kids, dogs, cat, hamster & terrarium with snails, plus luggage, food, and electronics). I've got the filter media in the tub with the fish (my dad mailed the filter stuff to me Priority in plastic bags, so it arrived the same day we did - there was literally no room in the car for one more bucket), but I'm still just running the 2 battery powered bubblers, feeding lightly, and doing daily 50% water changes.

1 hour ago, Shahbazin said:

Hi Koko!

We're still unpacking, but we're all here! The fish have survived the trip in their buckets, and are now sharing a plastic tub, until I can find them a tank. We just got our internet back 3 days ago. We stopped in Phoenix, AZ; Santa Rosa, NM; Wichita, KS & Des Moines, IA on the way here - the first night, we left the fish in the car, but after that it was cold & we carried the buckets into the motel room each night (along with the kids, dogs, cat, hamster & terrarium with snails, plus luggage, food, and electronics). I've got the filter media in the tub with the fish (my dad mailed the filter stuff to me Priority in plastic bags, so it arrived the same day we did - there was literally no room in the car for one more bucket), but I'm still just running the 2 battery powered bubblers, feeding lightly, and doing daily 50% water changes.

WOW that was a long haul I have to say. Im so happy they made it there all safe. And all those animals too. I thought I had a long haul with two cats and three fish, but I think you beat me in the long haul of things :rofl 

• Like 1

Got the fishies back in a tank as of yesterday - found a store an hour away that had a $1 a gal sale on, including 75 gal (Pet Expo in Mankato, MN). Happy fish at last! They appear none the worse for their 2,000 mile trip (5 days, each in a 5 gal bucket) and additional week and a half, both in a small plastic tub with the battery powered bubblers. Temp seems to be running at 65 F (without the heater) - should I modify their food intake, or is this a normal goldie temp?

46096357882_a12c331246.jpg

Me taking our dogs for a walk this morning:

46096357632_7f82d5cf80.jpg

• Like 1

You look cold :lol

YEAH they got a tank again :) I feed mine only twice a day during the winter time. I don't have a heater in my tank either and its been about 65-68F :) 

• Like 1