fishchick

Converted

6 posts in this topic

Hello goldie lovers! Prepare for the story of my intro to goldfish. 

For many many years I kept South African Malawi cichlids, and a few South American Oscars. Then I moved house and sold all my tanks and all my fish. 

Well, I kept 1 tank. I cycled and established a fancy goldfish tank! Completely new for me as a fish keeper. They were doing beautifully for nearly 2 years, and then I found this beautiful broadtail moor. 

Quarantine went well - 6 weeks, healthy, no signs of illness, so I moved him into the big display tank with my other babies. Nope. Despite a clean bill of health, I must have missed something. Within 1 week lost my entire stock of 10 huge fancies I had grown over the 2 years. Dropsy signs - puffed bodies, lethargy, scales popped out. Water was perfect, no meds worked.

My heart was a bit shattered. For the past 8 months my tank has stood empty because I didn't want to keep fish anymore (for the first time in my entire life). All I have is a small tank of tropical guppies and shrimp. These school holidays (I am a teacher) I decided it was either sell, or move on and fill and try again. 

Now I'm here! I have just painted the background of my 5x2x2 which is in my living room, and tiled the bottom. I know tiles are not ideal for goldfish as grazers, but when I put in the large pots with plants there will be plenty of things for them to nibble on. 

I am not interested in show goldfish, I just like ones I find pretty. So... in my quarantine tubs (since I sold all my tanks when I moved in a few years ago!) I have 2 orandas, and 2 ryukin going through the quarantine process, who will then go into the renovated tank in my living room. It will be quick cycled by media from one small tropical tank and then ready to go. 

Here's what we look like now at the beginning. I can't wait to join in discussions and see some gorgeous fish! I'll upload pics of my babies in about 4-6 weeks once they're in their proper home!

tank tiled.jpg

:hi and :welcome

Your tank looks like it will be very nice for your fish. :) 

What kind of plants are you looking at getting. Cant wait to see your fish :thumbs: 

Hi Koko :) 

I will probably have one large anubias in there somewhere when I can figure out a good way to affix it to something (maybe a large piece of driftwood, but would rather stay away due to tails catching on sharp bits - goldfish are not the most graceful sometimes). In the vases/pots I'm still looking for, I'm likely to plant a few large java ferns and see how they go. I haven't kept them with goldfish before but I'll give them a go. Fingers crossed in the few months it takes the babies to put on a bit of size, they'll be bushy and established enough to endure the occasional nibble. 

Might even try some amazon swords, but not 100% sure how they'll go in the depths of my tank. 

I have always done treats of duckweed for my goldies in the past as well, so that'll be in there at some point. 

That's a nice looking tank.  I've had success attaching java fern, anubias, bolbitis onto pieces of stonework - slate, round granite pieces.  Less pokey than driftwood.

Good luck on your new setup and fish.

Agree with above!

Amazon swords grow big (in some cases, easily over 2ft tall and just as wide) so they will fill out the tank nicely and very resilient if the goldies decide its a salad bar.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On 10/6/2018 at 10:08 PM, dahling8 said:

That's a nice looking tank.  I've had success attaching java fern, anubias, bolbitis onto pieces of stonework - slate, round granite pieces.  Less pokey than driftwood.

Good luck on your new setup and fish.

Me too, I  use river rocks and tie them down with sowing thread. I had to take my slate rock out as Zac kept rubbing her self on it while they where breeding. :o She would push her self in and then go on her side while goldfish did his thing. So out it came :o 

11 hours ago, aussieJJDude said:

Agree with above!

Amazon swords grow big (in some cases, easily over 2ft tall and just as wide) so they will fill out the tank nicely and very resilient if the goldies decide its a salad bar.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yes they do, I had one in my molly tank and it took over :rofl 

• Like 1