lotsalotls

Various issues arising

40 posts in this topic

I believe I fully cleaned it, rinsing all the media (in tank water) and poured all the water out, maybe 2-3 weeks ago. I rinse the filter floss with each water change, because it gets dirty quick (mostly from the suspended particles out of the tap in my well water).

4 hours ago, lotsalotls said:

I believe I fully cleaned it, rinsing all the media (in tank water) and poured all the water out, maybe 2-3 weeks ago. I rinse the filter floss with each water change, because it gets dirty quick (mostly from the suspended particles out of the tap in my well water).

Okay :)

Well I would like to suggest dumping the water out of it every water change. Then to keep the filter from getting to bad, turn off the filter for 5 mins while your feeding the fish. This will keep the filter from sucking it up so fast. If you feed Gel food I suggest doing that because that food will get in the filter fast and make the nitrates higher. :( 

Will do Koko!

So I recently said that this fish had been floating at the top again. Well, he has stopped floating once more in favor of "glass surfing" rather vigorously. I swear this fish is giving me whiplash. 

Oh, and I stopped the Paraguard. I have Kanaplex on hand. Just note that the glass surfing started before I stopped the Paraguard a couple days ago.

Edited by lotsalotls
more info

The glass surfing doesn’t surprise me, the Paraguard can stress them, just less than some treatments.  Let’s go ahead and run a two week course of Kanaplex in quarantine.  Are you comfortable with doing that or do you need further instructions on how to manage?

If that is going to improve things we would usually expect to see better eating, color, and rooting/nosing around the tank by day 4-5, but I wouldn’t begin the Paraguard again until at least a four day break after the Kanaplex is concluded, so day 18. We don’t want to weaken him further and they’re two fairly strong treatments.

@Arctic MamaI can manage, but is there any preference for dosing the water column vs. feeding the kanaplex? I already have some kanaplex gel food in the freezer and it would save me the hassle of daily water changes. But if dosing the water column is preferable, I can do that instead.

Sure feel free to feed it.  Absolutely fine.

Update. I started feeding the Kanaplex on Friday. 

Behavior: Gasping at the surface a lot. The most I've seen him do thus far.

Whole body jerking/twitching. For example, he will be gulping at the surface and suddenly his body will jerk sideways a few times. I've been trying to get it on video for awhile now but as usual they don't cooperate.

Not floating in the corner anymore (so far)

19 hours ago, lotsalotls said:

Update. I started feeding the Kanaplex on Friday. 

Behavior: Gasping at the surface a lot. The most I've seen him do thus far.

Whole body jerking/twitching. For example, he will be gulping at the surface and suddenly his body will jerk sideways a few times. I've been trying to get it on video for awhile now but as usual they don't cooperate.

Not floating in the corner anymore (so far)

Do you have an air stone in there? 

Yes, how is the aeration and temperature?  You could be dealing with something parasitic, but Kanaplex wouldn’t combine well with anything but salt to combat that, except metro, and even that could be stressful.  If you can give us some longer video and post it on YouTube with a link here that would be helpful.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I have a powerhead aimed at the surface of the water that provides a lot surface agitation, but no airstone. The temperature has been up to around 78-79F this past week and a half. The heat has been turned on in the house so my tanks are warmer than usual.

I can post a longer video tomorrow. I'm planning on ordering a microscope from amazon soon so I can do a scrape and get a more accurate idea of what I'm dealing with here. I have meaning to get one anyway, so this gives me an excuse.

22 hours ago, lotsalotls said:

I have a powerhead aimed at the surface of the water that provides a lot surface agitation, but no airstone. The temperature has been up to around 78-79F this past week and a half. The heat has been turned on in the house so my tanks are warmer than usual.

I can post a longer video tomorrow. I'm planning on ordering a microscope from amazon soon so I can do a scrape and get a more accurate idea of what I'm dealing with here. I have meaning to get one anyway, so this gives me an excuse.

Those are great to have. I have one and Ill tell ya once you see whats in the filter water you will never want to touch that water :rofl 

So I wasn’t able to get a good video. I won’t be back home for awhile, so I had someone else try to get a video for me...and they all came out pretty terrible lol. 

I cut this part out because it’s a decent  representation of how he acts (when he’s not at the surface). As you can see, he tends to hover vertically in the water column.  

83A4EED1-C532-406A-9CB5-0E2AEB10C2F3.MOV

Here is a video soon after I got him for comparison. 

Also the tank in the first video isn’t dirty lol. Its had a brown algae bloom ever since the temperature has been up in the tank. I haven’t scraped it off because the fish seems to like to pick at it occasionally.

FEF5AB44-4542-433B-9BF9-E1CC6A0E2736///

Edited by lotsalotls

He has some pretty apparent health and swimming issues when you first got him. His wen seems to annoy him and I saw him yawn and see some fun issues in the video when you first got him. I just think you got a sick fish. He just looks weak and sickly. It's impossible to be sure what's ailing him though unfortunately. Hopefully the microscope will help. 

I didn’t see anything notable on the videos.   But definitely don’t warm it up anymore, that’s sufficient temperature and agitation.