yayoiharuko

Eheim 2215/2217 Is it really as good as it seems?

11 posts in this topic

I have a 55 gallon fish tank with three young goldfish (maybe two years old) and after struggling to change the media in my Marineland 350 canister filter(old model, not the new one), I have yet again come to face the fact that it is a HUGE pain to mess with it and I find myself dreading the day when I have to do any maintenance/ cleaning on it. 

Long story short, I'm in the market for a new filter. I like the canister filters because they seem to be the best at keeping water clean, I just can't stand this particular filter. I was browsing around on the internet and found the Eheim 2215 and 2217 canister filters. People seem to like them (except for the poor instructions) and I felt it would be best if I asked you guys first. Are these filters really all that great? 

Thank you!

At one time I had 3 Eheim canisters in service, 2 x 2217 and a 2262.  Those would be the only Eheim canisters I would use.  I've had some duds in the Professional series - too many bugs/leaks and electronics for my liking.  I have 1 in service now on a 40 gallon breeder for tropical fish, but I admit that I am not a fan of canister filters in general for the reason you mentioned.  They are harder to clean.and the 2217 does not come with any media trays.  I put my bio media in a mesh bag and dump the works into a couple of buckets when it's time to service them.

But their design is timeless and they work very well.  I just replaced the shaft bushing and impeller after 10 years of use and it runs just as quiet as the first day.  Replacement parts are easier to buy than the newer generation Eheim Professional series.  If you don't mind the green hoses, input/output connectors they should do well for you.  Make sure you get a model (if buying used) with double tap connectors, they make priming the filter a lot easier when you need to service them.  The new ones I've seen have them as well as the filter media too.  I'd get the 2217, it is bigger but not that much more time to service over the 2215 and the extra capacity is nice.

Assembly instructions are cryptic, but there's plenty of youtube videos that will give you step by step instructions.

I heard Fluvals are easier to service, but I have no experience with them.

FWIW, I have a spare 2217, but I'm not using it for goldfish.  I'd would want to service it monthly and that's too much maintenance for me.  I use a trickle filter for my goldfish but if I weren't using that, I'd likely use an HOB and sponge filter.   I'm a fan of Seachem Tidal hob filters and not too far behind, Aquaclears.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, dahling8 said:

At one time I had 3 Eheim canisters in service, 2 x 2217 and a 2262.  Those would be the only Eheim canisters I would use.  I've had some duds in the Professional series - too many bugs/leaks and electronics for my liking.  I have 1 in service now on a 40 gallon breeder for tropical fish, but I admit that I am not a fan of canister filters in general for the reason you mentioned.  They are harder to clean.and the 2217 does not come with any media trays.  I put my bio media in a mesh bag and dump the works into a couple of buckets when it's time to service them.

But their design is timeless and they work very well.  I just replaced the shaft bushing and impeller after 10 years of use and it runs just as quiet as the first day.  Replacement parts are easier to buy than the newer generation Eheim Professional series.  If you don't mind the green hoses, input/output connectors they should do well for you.  Make sure you get a model (if buying used) with double tap connectors, they make priming the filter a lot easier when you need to service them.  The new ones I've seen have them as well as the filter media too.  I'd get the 2217, it is bigger but not that much more time to service over the 2215 and the extra capacity is nice.

Assembly instructions are cryptic, but there's plenty of youtube videos that will give you step by step instructions.

I heard Fluvals are easier to service, but I have no experience with them.

FWIW, I have a spare 2217, but I'm not using it for goldfish.  I'd would want to service it monthly and that's too much maintenance for me.  I use a trickle filter for my goldfish but if I weren't using that, I'd likely use an HOB and sponge filter.   I'm a fan of Seachem Tidal hob filters and not too far behind, Aquaclears.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. 

Is this the one you recommended? https://www.amazon.com/Classic-600-Canister-Filter-2217/dp/B00BUFTPA0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

There seems to be a lot of different models/ kinds when I type in 2217, and I just wanted to make sure I didn't get the professional series by mistake. 

If you don't mind me asking, you mentioned you have a spare 2217 and that you're not using it for goldfish- may I ask what you're using it for? and why you would want to service it monthly? 

Thanks again :)

Edit: 

Looking at the Seachem Tidal Hob filters and Aquaclear as well since you mentioned them. Do you recommend any certain kinds?  I also saw some complaints regarding sand in the reviews. I mostly have gravel, but do have some sand here and there in the tank. Would prefer to have a bare bottom tank, but never could quite figure it out. 

Edited by yayoiharuko

It's the same filter, I've seen different combinations packed with it.  Sometimes packed with Eheim filter media which is decent value than bought separately.  2217 is the old model name, I still call mine 2217 even though Eheim wants us to call them Classic 600's.  :no:

I took down a bunch of tanks, I had 2 x 2217's running on a 125 gallon tank.  I just haven't found a use for the 2nd one yet.  So I don't mind keeping it for spare parts in case something wears down.  Cheaper than buying a new part which by itself is $$.  

Eheim 2217's are very efficient filters, virtually no bypass - meaning water entering the filter are filtered.  But because goldfish produces a lot of waste, more of the detritus gets trapped in the filter media.  Think of uneaten food and waste in a sealed filter rotting away if not cleaned out.  If I don't service it monthly, the filters produce more nitrates - they can be nitrate factories.  Our salt water hobbyists avoids canisters for that reason.  If you can use a pre-filter over the intake strainer, and hard rinse that during water changes, that would help a lot.  But I'd likely still service them about every 6 weeks.

If you do get a 2217, the parts that would wear down are the impellers, shaft bushing and the big o-ring.  Hoses when they get old gets brittle so they may leak from the double tap connectors.  No big deal, just replace the hose when it does leak.  But we're talking about years before that happens.

I use silicone lube and wipe a little layer over all the rubber o-rings, I heard that's what the Eheim engineers do with their filters after every service  Keeps the o-ring going longer.  Not vaseline - that breaks down the rubber over time.  Silicone lube is what divers use on their equipment, so you can find it online or at your dive shop.

On 10/3/2018 at 3:51 PM, dahling8 said:

It's the same filter, I've seen different combinations packed with it.  Sometimes packed with Eheim filter media which is decent value than bought separately.  2217 is the old model name, I still call mine 2217 even though Eheim wants us to call them Classic 600's.  :no:

I took down a bunch of tanks, I had 2 x 2217's running on a 125 gallon tank.  I just haven't found a use for the 2nd one yet.  So I don't mind keeping it for spare parts in case something wears down.  Cheaper than buying a new part which by itself is $$.  

Eheim 2217's are very efficient filters, virtually no bypass - meaning water entering the filter are filtered.  But because goldfish produces a lot of waste, more of the detritus gets trapped in the filter media.  Think of uneaten food and waste in a sealed filter rotting away if not cleaned out.  If I don't service it monthly, the filters produce more nitrates - they can be nitrate factories.  Our salt water hobbyists avoids canisters for that reason.  If you can use a pre-filter over the intake strainer, and hard rinse that during water changes, that would help a lot.  But I'd likely still service them about every 6 weeks.

You don't think that getting the 2217 would be overkill for a 55 gallon? I've heard that there's no such thing as too much filtration, but in the past I've had filters scare the heck out of me and my fish by nearly blowing everyone out of the water because of the output flow lol. That's the most accurate way I could think of to describe it. 

Like this emoticon, except.. with water blasting me away :D:blowup:

Or taking a shower in filter rain from output water:

ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ(* ̄o ̄*)>ヽ`、ヽ`

• Like 1

On 10/3/2018 at 3:51 PM, dahling8 said:

You mentioned it being a nitrate factory, which makes sense in general, but when looking at videos on how to clean them, I noticed that there are no little plastic strainers/containers. Do you find that filters without the plastic containers to separate all the media are easier to service, or more difficult? 

On 10/3/2018 at 3:55 PM, dahling8 said:

If you do get a 2217, the parts that would wear down are the impellers, shaft bushing and the big o-ring.  Hoses when they get old gets brittle so they may leak from the double tap connectors.  No big deal, just replace the hose when it does leak.  But we're talking about years before that happens.

I use silicone lube and wipe a little layer over all the rubber o-rings, I heard that's what the Eheim engineers do with their filters after every service  Keeps the o-ring going longer.  Not vaseline - that breaks down the rubber over time.  Silicone lube is what divers use on their equipment, so you can find it online or at your dive shop.

Right. I gotcha. I will go ahead and add some silicone lube to my cart, in addition to the eheim pre-filter/strainer if I can find one. 

You're a big help, by the way. Just wanted to say that. 

:hug

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, yayoiharuko said:

You don't think that getting the 2217 would be overkill for a 55 gallon? I've heard that there's no such thing as too much filtration, but in the past I've had filters scare the heck out of me and my fish by nearly blowing everyone out of the water because of the output flow lol. That's the most accurate way I could think of to describe it. 

Like this emoticon, except.. with water blasting me away :D:blowup:

Or taking a shower in filter rain from output water:

ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ(* ̄o ̄*)>ヽ`、ヽ`

Over my breeding colony of corydoras, rams, apistogramma's. otocinclus and couple schools of tetras in a 40g breeder, I'm using a Seachem 110 hob, advertised flow of 454 gph, an Eheim 2217 with an advertised flow of 164 gph.  Each one of the filters are probably rated for use for tanks over 75 gallons.  At least with the eheim, you can direct the flow/output by mounting the spraybar to deflect the flow.  Over filtration?  Probably, but I'm overstocked too, but between weekly water changes, my nitrates read 5-10 ppm and my corys are still breeding.

I can't help your outplut flow scaring you or your fish  :death, but I think it's just a matter of spraybar placement, you'll have to play around with it a bit.   For a 55, I may start by mounting the spraybar so it sprays lengthwise across the tank.  Perhaps mounted several inches below the water line aimed slightly upwards for greater surface movement without splashing too much.  

Edited by dahling8
typos

8 hours ago, yayoiharuko said:

You mentioned it being a nitrate factory, which makes sense in general, but when looking at videos on how to clean them, I noticed that there are no little plastic strainers/containers. Do you find that filters without the plastic containers to separate all the media are easier to service, or more difficult? 

I always wondered why Eheim Classics doesn't provide a sleeve or basket for the media, like they do for the smaller filter - the 2213.  My bio media is in a large poly mesh bag, so it is a little more inconvenient to service.  But definitely get a mesh bag, it will make servicing easier, but not as easy as the trays.  The professional models comes with trays for easier service, but their reliability was poor for me.  

Regarding the pre-filters, you don't have to use the Eheim one.  I never have, so I don't know how good they are.  Perhaps a simple sponge to slip over the intake tube.  I use the round, bright blue cylinder sponges meant for Fluval internal filters.  I stocked up when they were on sale, but I'm not sure they make them anymore - I haven't seen them for awhile. I cut them in half and fit that over the intake tube.  It's a snug fit and each sponge last me about half a year. 

Maybe you don't like bright blue, but you may want to try similar shaped ones.  Danner Mag makes them for their pond pumps, that might work or Marineland sponge filters for their powerheads.  You may want to look at these too, but I don't know whether the hole is large enough to slip over the Eheim intake tube:

https://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Fluval-Pre-Filter-Sponge-3-PACK/dp/B00FM0O9QO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1538840347&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=fluval+internal+filter+sponges