FishyMandy

Three Years with Spice

8 posts in this topic

Today marks three years since I bought home Spice. Sometimes I still can't believe things worked out for me to get him (For those that don't know I saw him in the fish shop about 3 months before I got him, but I couldn't afford him, someone I was in a facebook group with bought him and I was happy for her but also concerned and, yes, jealous) But after only about a month she decided he was too big for her, he kept knocking over the pump in her small pond and draining it and he was too big for her tank, so she offered to sell him to me, for half the price he was at the shop, so I jumped on the chance!)

Now Three years later Spice has lost most of his red and black, is as perky has ever, still freaks out if I drop the water level below his comfort zone (If his pelvic fins can touch the bottom at the same time as his dorsal can touch the surface it's a huge nope from him) during water changes, likes to spit/splash water at me if it's been too long since I fed them and is still the first fish everyone notices when they see my tank.

Here is Spice the day I got him, and then a photo from today

eBVzckQ.jpg

3KYDJNM.jpg

• Like 2

He certainly grown into an attractive fish! Shame he lost a lot of the black speckling, but I love the new look. Kinda reminds me of koi.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hes gotten so big now. And the color change is so neat. :) 

I don't think he has gotten much bigger since I got him. Maybe put on some more finnage. 

He's always been one of my favorites. His color pattern is very interesting after the black went away. Just speckled. He looks almost polka dotted. And since you said he's a giant compared to the others, makes sense he commands all the attention lol

• Haha 1

Loll yes. he is a giant.  The last weight I had on him was over 300grams. He is a hard one to weigh though since its hard to find a container he fits in that doesn't error out my scales. Yesterday I was standing near the tank, and he swam to the surface and flipped his tail hard against the surface and made a huge splash all over me. I looked over and he just innocently swam away :rofl I swear he did it on purpose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He is one Beautiful & Special guy!!!!

On 10/6/2018 at 4:57 PM, FishyMandy said:

Loll yes. he is a giant.  The last weight I had on him was over 300grams. He is a hard one to weigh though since its hard to find a container he fits in that doesn't error out my scales. Yesterday I was standing near the tank, and he swam to the surface and flipped his tail hard against the surface and made a huge splash all over me. I looked over and he just innocently swam away :rofl I swear he did it on purpose.

:tomuch: that reminds me of my Pharaoh, he would do that to me when he was about 8" long. Look right at me sometime and then splash the water out at me. :Dancing: