excelsior9

Black Moor having white discoloration on body

8 posts in this topic

My Black Moor is having a white discoloration on it's body. I tried giving him a salt bath for past 2 days for 30 min. It is laying at the bottom for a long time. Even it's fins and around it's eyes have the same issue. Please help me to understand how to cure him, as I am beginner in owning a fish tank. And if you can please tell me it's gender too2d600f2b6d391633b6df7e0dcf3e8bdb.jpg9a40ed478a226018d1415be23b1f3cc5.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Hello! When you gave him the salt bath, how much salt did you use in how much water?

Could you also please fill out this form? You can either copy and paste it or quote my post and fill it in there, this will help us to pinpoint not only the problem, but the cause and the best treatment plan.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Hello! When you gave him the salt bath, how much salt did you use in how much water?

Could you also please fill out this form? You can either copy and paste it or quote my post and fill it in there, this will help us to pinpoint not only the problem, but the cause and the best treatment plan.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? I don't have any test kit. While putting the new water, I pour 2 caps of white-o-liquid which removes the chlorine

* Water temperature? 25-29°C

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
A:: Tank has the capacity of 15 gallons

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
A:: Sobo aquarium SB-108 air pump. I have attached the filter

* How often do you change the water and how much?
A:: I change 70% after every 2-3 days.

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
A:: I changed today 50% of water.

* How many fish in the tank and their size?
A:: I have 6 more gold fishes not more than 3 inches

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?
A:: N/A

* What do you feed your fish and how often?
A:: I feed them floating pellets twice a day

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
A:: Methylene Blue : 2 caps twice a day

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
A:: Frayed fins and some white scales on the body

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
A:: It is sitting at the bottom but sometimes it comes up. b5527837db2ab4fb6e2edf72600e8f50.jpg

You might find it helpful to read our guidelines on healthy goldfish

we recommend 20gallons per fish, so your tank is very over stocked. If you cant afford  a bigger tank, large plastic storage tubs are a good option too. 

I suspect water quality is playing a large part in your problems, how long has your tank been set up for? 

A test kit is a very useful, if not essential tool for a fishkeeper. If you cant get one right now can you take some of your water to a local fish shop and ask them to test it for you? you'd need to make sure they give your the actual numbers, and not just ok or bad.

Edited by FishyMandy

Thank you @FishMandy for your help . Unfortunately my Black Moor died today before I could give it Terramycin 250mg as suggested by the Shopkeeper. It has been just one week since I bought this tank. I'll follow your suggestion and buy a test kit for my remaining 5 fishes.

You might find it helpful to read our guidelines on healthy goldfish

we recommend 20gallons per fish, so your tank is very over stocked. If you cant afford  a bigger tank, large plastic storage tubs are a good option too. 
I suspect water quality is playing a large part in your problems, how long has your tank been set up for? 
A test kit is a very useful, if not essential tool for a fishkeeper. If you cant get one right now can you take some of your water to a local fish shop and ask them to test it for you? you'd need to make sure they give your the actual numbers, and not just ok or bad.

We can help you but there is definitely some learning that needs to take place - first thing though, the test kit we recommend is the API freshwater master test kit.  It’s excellent and inexpensive, should last you several years of regular use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000255NCI/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000255NCI&linkCode=as2&tag=petkeegui-20

Second, PLEASE read the link above with the guidelines for keeping heathy goldfish :).  Then ask us questions here on this thread.  With your current setup being as small as it is, we can help you make it work with plenty of filtration and more frequent water changes for the time being, but long term it’s really only suitable for a single goldfish.  

You’ll want to switch them to a bigger plastic tote bin, kiddie pool, or other setup that allows for a larger water volume and better surface area. It will keep them healthier and be so much less work for you to maintain on the long run.  

Edited by Arctic Mama

Will do . Thank you all for your help.

Second, PLEASE read the link above with the guidelines for keeping heathy goldfish :).  Then ask us questions here on this thread.  With your current setup being as small as it is, we can help you make it work with plenty of filtration and more frequent water changes for the time being, but long term it’s really only suitable for a single goldfish.  

You’ll want to switch them to a bigger plastic tote bin, kiddie pool, or other setup that allows for a larger water volume and better surface area. It will keep them healthier and be so much less work for you to maintain on the long run.