I-Goldfish

Gravel stuck in nostril

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys, 

Long time no see! I still have Blacky, he's 9 years old now! I just noticed he has a piece of gravel lodged into his nostril, it looks very stuck and quite deep. How he managed to do that I have no idea :stars... Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it out? I'm going to leave it overnight and hope it falls out but it doesn't look like it's going to. 

I was thinking maybe creating a suction with a piece of tubing? This is not ideal as I'm moving back to university on Friday so only have tomorrow to try and get it out

Thank you

Hi! Do you have any photos?

Id be worried about sucking it out, I think i would try a small pair of tweezers or seeing if you could gently rub the nostril to push it out?

1 hour ago, FishyMandy said:

Hi! Do you have any photos?

Id be worried about sucking it out, I think i would try a small pair of tweezers or seeing if you could gently rub the nostril to push it out?

Sorry I wasn't able to get photos as it is such a small thing to try and photograph and he won't stay still at all.

Update though. The gravel got sucked even deeper and now I see it down the hole behind the nasal flap so I presume this means it's managed to travel through the sense organ somehow with the push of the water and hopefully will come out the other side. 

I feel there isn't much I can do now except hope it comes out...

11 minutes ago, I-Goldfish said:

Sorry I wasn't able to get photos as it is such a small thing to try and photograph and he won't stay still at all.

Update though. The gravel got sucked even deeper and now I see it down the hole behind the nasal flap so I presume this means it's managed to travel through the sense organ somehow with the push of the water and hopefully will come out the other side. 

I feel there isn't much I can do now except hope it comes out...

That explanation is not great. Here's a couple (bad) photos.

Where it was when I first saw it

IMG_4441.JPG

Where it is now

IMG_4442.JPG

I presume it will just make its way out now

Idk if its just me, but I cant see anything? Maybe it popped out?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Huh.  I don’t see it either.  I’d assume unless he is acting upset that he will probably work it out on his own though.  Gravel stuck in the mouth is a problem because it can instruct eating, but that’s not really an issue with their nose :)

• Like 1

On 29/09/2018 at 6:32 AM, aussieJJDude said:

Idk if its just me, but I cant see anything? Maybe it popped out?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sorry I didn't make it clear. In the first photo there isn't anything to actually see I was just showing where I saw it, in the second photo it's the tiny paler bit but its a very bad quality photo ahaha

4 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Huh.  I don’t see it either.  I’d assume unless he is acting upset that he will probably work it out on his own though.  Gravel stuck in the mouth is a problem because it can instruct eating, but that’s not really an issue with their nose :)

No worries, it is really hard to see in that photo (2nd one only), the first was just illustrating where it was before passing through to the back. 

My mum who is currently looking after him has told me she can't see it anymore so I think it has just passed through. Thanks though guys!