aussieJJDude

My Goldies

12 posts in this topic

Well. I recently became aware that my goldies have never been featured on this forum. So today I decided to clean the pond for spring, and decided to snap a few pics.

Back story!

So to clean it out - had a lot of sediment/algae build up - since the pond is mostly filtered by plant matter rather than filtration... water quality is always acceptable (ammonia and nitrite 0ppm, nitrate is usually around 20ppm... TDS is around 110) but often quite murky due to free floating algae. I personally dont mind, its a good source of food for the fry when they small and it promotes rich colouration IMO.

So they were in a small 90 liter (around 20-25g) tank so i could drain the thing, rinse out the gravel - a years worth of crap buildup - and give the plants a good split, cleanup and general rescape.

Here they are in the 90 liter (black stuff is left over gravel since this tank was a freebie found on the side of the road.. will resell once I patch it up mostly.)

8d6012b8275b935d1ee01fc93011fd45.jpg

They had a number of babies last year, so this was a good opportunity to thin out the population a bit and keep the 'best looking ones" (aka a good tail split, almost look like a butterfly tail when viewed from above!)

Heres the two I kept:

796e6a493d751ccd286ae56bfd170ab9.jpg

(I like the 'wildtype' colour, and personally has good proportions)

5b2847d339858039c2555155d0de6abf.jpg (expecting for this one to go gold... but was one of the first to colour up and from the get go, had a fantastic tail!

Now the adults (I dont really have names for many unfortunately... Mostly worried about miss genders!)

The original pair that started it off in the pond - Feb 2017 I believe...

Love the colour on this one! The white is so pigmented, and like how the red is mostly concentrated to the cadual and eyes. Is rather shy around people, so takes a while to come out when someone is present... (around 2 inch in body length, think its a girl?)

38159131413891cf49ad580eaa1ff617.jpg

This one is the deepest red goldie I have... was orange, but since being in the pond has really darked up. Very active, always following someone! This one is a lot more streamlined then my other fantails, and also has a fused tail (around 2 inch body lenght, think its a boy?)

f0be59219d77cea4cdb7abaf7e015bb0.jpg

This was my next addition in (24 sep, 2017) a sad looking telescope eye that was black and white at the time... has turned into a beautiful gold, and was brought (with a short body oranda that refused to gain size for a month and one day just disappeared... this one grew from an inch to current size rather quicky.) They were brought mostly to get my original pair out of hiding... this one is my hider (even when Im not present) and I rarely see him unless he is resting in the shallows. (Around 2.5-3 inch, thinking is a girl?)

cb1ed0f3f5183c0c980e16a413ff268b.jpg

Next is my fav, my little buddy (Which I call him that) This one was an impulse buy, since he was a reject for $10... Had to have him. He was my goldie that I posted about how to transition him to pond life during winter, since at the store they heat the room (to a nice 25c/75F)... to chill melbourne water... I tried a prolonged acclimation to the pond, however on release he flipped belly up but once inside, immediately made a recovery. So, i preformed a waterchange on the pond - consists of doing a waterchange on my 64g, which drains into the pond - to increase the pond temp while also leaving him in a temp holding tank in a room with the windows opened. He then was transferred, and has settled in rather well! Really have humped out, and now sporting a rather impressive hump (at the store, he had virtually no hump and was basically a large fantail... very proud of this one, even though I didn't really do any work!)!(Around 3 inches, presumed boy?)

e59bf74fa2550c744f313742cc54aca4.jpg

Next was my goldie pair I recently got (20 Aug) which unlike all the others was shipped to me - were unintentional fillers for the shipping box, but always wanted a calico so jumped onto it... and then another ryukin cause I love ryukins...)

Calico - very outgoing, also my big gal (dunno of a girl, but I call it that!) Approx 4 inches in length, she is also very beefy! Loves to school with the others, always find her schooling with someone... 6c1557a4e6fedcbdd43b0a9abfffac39.jpg

Ryukin. Aprox 2 inches, but very deep bodied fish - compared to my other ryukin! I call this one a girl, but starting to think its a boy. This one has a bit of an issue in swimming, if excited will kinda do a head over heals - start swimming up and 'almost flip' - but has improved a lot from when I first got her - use to do it all the time regardless... Now only does it if excitied... Other than that, this one is perfectly healthy, and first signs of problem this one will be taken out - but due to her getting a little better day by day, I think she will do fine. She enjoys her cave - PVC pipe - but is very outgoing and will regularly follow/be followed by my other ryukin...

020db4d3d71bbf284176fa2b2d9f5fab.jpg

I'll see if pond has cleared up tomorrow, didn't take any pics as the water was a bit cloudy and also wanted to let them settle in overnight... they seem to enjoy the new space - very open, loads of swimming room, plus got rid of a lot of pots with dead looking plants, which they like.... now not a lot of obstacles for my problem child - the ryukin, she often panics if she feels enclosed surrounded by pots and then try to swim away fast and flip... so to reduce stress, I decided to really open things up for her and just keep plants on a gravel layer over the bottom... which she likes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I love the colors on them. I really like that red and white guy with the red on the eye. I can't wait to see the whole pond :) 

I see Ryukins... I LOVE Ryukins. 

Thanks guys. As promised, pond pics. I forgot to take the before pics, but imagine it with pots filled with vall and tall grassy like plants... and ludwigia filled with algae floating around...

9dc38a0fd316c3af8a84809eba999585.jpg
4424e5a0b5a920bb3ecdc1f2fd7412dd.jpge28ab329f087eff4c1d004bd7e16edd3.jpge80f4c700847608cbb2d6ba2dcc98331.jpga374e4dff57561a46f6b3aff1c7b16e3.jpg121c388bc2f45baea79f7f5b221eae88.jpgfeb977b956f14c03adfd1a64948fe0bd.jpg1d20e3ed010fd130d46ef660d7f1c612.jpgb3fcc78a68bfea28f19467b8cd195cc4.jpg

• Like 3

The fish look great and I love the pond!

• Like 1

Oh nice... Those fish are living it up! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

Oh nice... Those fish are living it up! 

Thats what I was thinking. If I was a fish I would want to live in there :teehee 

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Its very much a work in progress, and honestly if I had it my way I would take it out and just go with pondliner... we have a 'dry creek bed' comming off it which I think if it was extra swimming space for the goldies (even if it was around 12 inches deep throughout much of it; the cat keeps most pests away and the cat has no interest in the fish besides drinking the water) it would look a little better and potentially allow me to hide the sides a little better.

• Like 2

Beautiful Goldfish & pond Jay!!!

Beautiful Goldfish & pond Jay!!!
Thanks for that!

On 9/28/2018 at 10:30 PM, aussieJJDude said:

Thanks guys. Its very much a work in progress, and honestly if I had it my way I would take it out and just go with pondliner... we have a 'dry creek bed' comming off it which I think if it was extra swimming space for the goldies (even if it was around 12 inches deep throughout much of it; the cat keeps most pests away and the cat has no interest in the fish besides drinking the water) it would look a little better and potentially allow me to hide the sides a little better.

I have always wanted a pond where a porch runs over part of the pond so you can just sit and look at the fish :) 

I have always wanted a pond where a porch runs over part of the pond so you can just sit and look at the fish  
Ohh. Thats the dream.