dahling8

Suspected beginnings of Swim Bladder disorder?

29 posts in this topic

Very pretty Orandas, such an intense yellow on the lemonhead, sorry for the loss.  I love the dark eyes on the calico,  looks like he's primed to be a very good looking boy grown up.  Good luck with him.

I had temperatures running at least 75*F since the beginning of the year, it's just within the last 2 months when I decided to take out the heater so unless it's a warm day, temps hover around 70*F.

I'll be out of the country in a couple of weeks, so in the meantime, I'll play around with the food choices.  They get a scoop of duckweed daily and rotate between Repashy Solient Green, a combo of NLS Algaemax and Thera+, frozen bloodworms and mysis shrimp.  Once I get back, I'll see if keeping temps back up to 75*F and lower nitrates helps.  :thumbup2:

On 10/13/2018 at 11:54 AM, dahling8 said:

Very pretty Orandas, such an intense yellow on the lemonhead, sorry for the loss.  I love the dark eyes on the calico,  looks like he's primed to be a very good looking boy grown up.  Good luck with him.

I had temperatures running at least 75*F since the beginning of the year, it's just within the last 2 months when I decided to take out the heater so unless it's a warm day, temps hover around 70*F.

I'll be out of the country in a couple of weeks, so in the meantime, I'll play around with the food choices.  They get a scoop of duckweed daily and rotate between Repashy Solient Green, a combo of NLS Algaemax and Thera+, frozen bloodworms and mysis shrimp.  Once I get back, I'll see if keeping temps back up to 75*F and lower nitrates helps.  :thumbup2:

While your gone, I would just give them the duckweed. They can survive on that for a while with no issues. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2018 at 3:54 PM, dahling8 said:

Of course I spoke to soon, after several days, he's starting to exhibit floaty signs again.  The environment is the same, the only difference are the foods that I'm feeding the fish.  Duckweed, green peas aren't a problem so I'll back track and start introducing the other foods one at a time on it's own for several days and if he is symptom free, I'll add another menu item and so on.    

Greens make a huge difference.  I had to stop feeding various foods because of allergies and can only really feed vegetable matter and repashy super green mixed with a scoop of fish meal, but that particular diet has had the side benefit of cutting almost all constipation, floating, and excessive feces from my fish.  I had a lot more trouble with floaters on high quality dried diets and protein rich live/freeze dried food before, and it was very frustrating.  Goldfish love their spirulina/seaweed/duckweed/elodea and a bit of worm/fish/random bug added in.  Truly!  

• Like 1

Oh I believe it!  This is my first goldfish that is a little floaty.  Were your floaters Orandas too?

My ranchu are doing ok, probably wondering what happened to all the other foods that were fed on a regular basis.  After 3 days of just duckweed but he was no longer floaty, but decided to mope on the bottom.  He could swim if he wanted to and took in duckweed, but not with a lot of gusto.  He went bananas when I dropped in an 1/8 of a tsp of NLS pellets.   After a couple of days of an 1/8 of a tsp of NLS, I doubled up and gave a second feed of NLS later on in the day.  He's more active, but his tail end is starting to go tipsy.  So it may be that commercial dry feed...back to just duckweed until he's swimming normally again.

I'm running out of days to experiment, so I'll cut out the NLS and test feed Repashy next if he's normal and then 2 weeks of straight duckweed while I'm gone.

Side note, I did a 100% water change on Saturday and I have been doing daily nitrate tests.  I had to do a double take each time for the last several days, 5 days after a water change, I'm expecting nitrate readings of 20ppm or so.  For the last 3 days they were barely orange on the API nitrate test, so maybe 5ppm if that.  I used a Salifert nitrate test and it was reading 2ppm.  Stunned...I was hoping for de-nitrification, so pleasantly surprised when it actually happened.  Cutting down on the volume of food may be a factor, but nitrates should still read more than 2ppm after almost a week.  The plan now is to just do 50% water changes weekly instead of the 2 x 75% water changes I've been doing to keep nitrates low.