koko

Yearly Raffle is now open!

80 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Hiya guys

:hi 

23 hours ago, mjfromga said:

Population 9K? Lol nice. I think there are like 500k people in Atlanta. Talk about overcrowding. My word. 

I don't think I could live in a big town like that :yikes 

23 hours ago, aussieJJDude said:

Just 500k? 4.8 mill currently where I live - not the biggest, but big enough!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That is crazy :crazy: How do you deal with that. I bet that is a very noisy town :o 

Blah spring has come and so have the daily sinus headaches 

• Like 2

That is crazy :crazy: How do you deal with that. I bet that is a very noisy town  
Its Melbourne... so more of a major city rather than a town. ;) But its ok in most of the suburbs, unless you live in the suburbs thats not well connected or is a booming 'high rise' district.

On 9/28/2018 at 6:04 PM, FishyMandy said:

Blah spring has come and so have the daily sinus headaches 

All the leafs are falling off here :) 

On 9/28/2018 at 10:04 PM, aussieJJDude said:

Its Melbourne... so more of a major city rather than a town. ;) But its ok in most of the suburbs, unless you live in the suburbs thats not well connected or is a booming 'high rise' district.

Thats just to big of a town for me. I like the smaller ones :teehee 

I miss Autumn :(:rofl 

I miss Summer...Winter is around the corner.

On 2018-09-28 at 10:04 PM, aussieJJDude said:

I don't mind living in the big city, as long as there's transport/airport nearby so I can get out and enjoy smaller town life.

I'm not looking forward to Summer lol. I hte the heat. 

I'm not looking forward to Summer lol. I hte the heat. 
Cant relate! I love summer, its the time of the year I can go crazy - in terms of fish/aquatic/invert related things!

Lol I can understand loving Summer in that way! I hate the heat though ad my allergies go crazy during spring/summer. It's not a fun time of year for me physically :rofl 

Lol I can understand loving Summer in that way! I hate the heat though ad my allergies go crazy during spring/summer. It's not a fun time of year for me physically :rofl 
Ah. True that makes it hard. I'll enjoy it on your behalf though.

Haha thanks for that :P

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 10:00 AM, dahling8 said:

I miss Summer...Winter is around the corner.

I feel ya. The winters are just :fbottom: cold here. Im freezing again. But I am so done with the heat wave I had this year. Come on Snow :teehee 

Hiya...

18 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Hiya...

:hi

I have 3 tanks and 2 ponds to work on today. Yet I'm just sitting here lol. I'm so tired. Daylight savings just started here

Posted (edited)

I am going to test a new holding before putting any of my current fish. I got these 3 little shrimp to try it out. We shall see how it goes. It will be an undertaking but we will see how it works out. There are 2 scrawny Shubunkins and a calico fantail. 

IMG_20181006_205439-2.jpg

Edited by mjfromga

aw cute

Posted (edited)

I will take better photos tomorrow if all goes well. I think you might find them cute. They're all calico. 

The 2 smelly orange Comets I have now are survivors of last years endeavor. I had gotten 6 29 cent goldfish for a test and those two made it and now I have them.

I decided to go with less fish this time and also calico fish so at least I won't be "stuck" with more unwanted regular plain goldfish if it goes okay. The one with the red on his head is in sorry shape but the other two seem okayish. 

I had to put the tub inside the house because it was too dark to fill it and net it and whatnot outside tonight and I don't want an owl to eat them their first day here. I will move it outside in the morning. 

Edited by mjfromga

Idk why they don't FEED the babies... But oh well. The single tails are SUPER rail skinny and the one with the red is kinda bottom sitty/clampy. Not TOO bad so we will see. Excuse crappy music... My brother was yelling in the original audio.

Brownish single tail - Rangli

Reddish single tail - Uru

Fantail - Kosmos

• Like 1

They are gorgeous. 
What kind of test are you doing with them, can I ask?

And I've also been curious about the experiment you were doing with the feeder comets :o

Well the 6 last year were testing cooler water with baby fish. I wanted to see how they would do in colder winter temps and I could not find any data on it so I wanted to try and see. I had people tell me my fancies would die even at 50° and it wasn't true. Many people had never even TRIED to keep them at those temps. They just believed what they read etc. So I wanted to see how the regular goldfish did. I believe in seeing things for myself and being able to actually tell people by experience accurate information. I actually think all but the 1 who died before it even got cold would have made it. I had split them up. The ones that are alive were the two I left in the front with the Ryukin babies. The others had gone to the back, where the mass disease destroyed them along with everyone else back there. But they were alive and fine in the cold water and everything before that. The experiment was a failure because the disease took everyone before the season was over.

Admittedly there are ethical issues with such experiments as there is a chance that the fish die, but I still think it's important for me to learn my way as I advance as a keeper. I've been able to teach people things because I saw for myself. I've learned things that way too. I don't speak in depth about it unless people ask because people can be easily triggered by such things. 

These fish here are going into sort of a "wild" and not well controlled environment and I want to test water parameters and stability and whatnot and see how the system does with livestock in it. I want to do a sort of "natural bottom" type of thing and see if it works to sustain the fish. I heard the natural minerals are good for fish and I want to see how it does. Other sources say that natural ground can cause harm to the fish and that liners are required. I want to see for myself. 

I have gotten used to green water and learned the fish love it. If the fish do better in less clear water, I don't mind sacrificing clarity at all. I do have liners on my eBay watch list in case it doesn't work out as planned... But all of it is still a project in the works. 

Interesting tests!  I have a breeder that I would like to buy baby ranchus from - his weather similar to mine in the Pacific North West.  He imports his brood stock from Japan and they are doing very well, very robust and healthy after several winters (ice, snow).  From what i understand, baby growth rates are faster in the warmer months to make up for lost time as it slows down during the colder months of the year.

• Like 1

I enjoy seeing things for myself rather than taking the word of random online sources or people that have never even tried things because they're afraid of harming fish. I don't WANT to harm fish but I want to learn everything I can about them and am willing to take risks to learn. 

I always HOPE that the fish do perfectly fine in these tests and if they do then I try to give them a permanent home and care for them or find them a nice home if I cannot. Here are some pictures of these babies this morning. 

I do not usually conduct preliminary tests with fancies but I thought this fantail was such a pretty guy and I couldn't pass him up.

IMG_20181007_102442.jpg

IMG_20181007_102956.jpg

IMG_20181007_103003.jpg

IMG_20181007_103000.jpg

The tests sound interesting. I really do love the fantail. 

This is silly but I saw a similar meme on facebook and it gave me inspiration to make this lol

1ZXmfNi.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1