koko

Yearly Raffle is now open!

79 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, aussieJJDude said:

I love my canisters! Infact, I hate the ones you mentioned, but canisters. Are fun. Especially cleaning it out and giving everything a good wash.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It is something strangely satisfying in getting all the gunk out!

• Like 1

Lol thats funny! I hate pulling them out and draining them and pulling them apart, it really kills me physically, I have back and shoulder problems though so moving them out of the cupboard to drain them is tough on me and I always seem to make a big mess when I clean them so then theres more pain cleaning that mess up :rofl

On 9/14/2018 at 7:08 PM, FishyMandy said:

Lol thats funny! I hate pulling them out and draining them and pulling them apart, it really kills me physically, I have back and shoulder problems though so moving them out of the cupboard to drain them is tough on me and I always seem to make a big mess when I clean them so then theres more pain cleaning that mess up :rofl

That was me with the canisters. I always made a big mess out of it. My HOB not so much I do drip little bit of water but not like half the tank :rofl 

I really need to try and clean my canisters soon. It's so painful though :rofl 

1 hour ago, FishyMandy said:

I really need to try and clean my canisters soon. It's so painful though :rofl 

I got to do the whole tank tomorrow. :thud Water change, clean filter and scrub the front glass. I have night time sun that hits the back of the tank and makes tons of Algae. I let it grow everywhere but the front glass.. :) 

14 hours ago, koko said:

I got to do the whole tank tomorrow. :thud Water change, clean filter and scrub the front glass. I have night time sun that hits the back of the tank and makes tons of Algae. I let it grow everywhere but the front glass.. :) 

Hi I need to clean my filters too.  I have a sponge and HOB filter.  Do you think it'll be ok to squeeze them both out during the same water change?  

I started out having some cute little goldfish catch my eye YEARS ago. I bought 3 or 4.....why not I had a 10 gallon tank at home that hadn't been used in years. I took them home, filled the tank, plunked the fish in there & then went to find where I had stored the filter. You can imagine it didn't take long for things to go TERRIBLY wrong. The poor lil' goldies started swimming less & less....then started dying. I started searching the web & stumbled across KOKO's. I quickly found I had not near enough tank & way too many fish! MY hubby bought me a 20 gallon tank. I think one goldie survived the ordeal. My learning curve was long & slow but I eventually learned & can now enjoy them!!

• Like 2

It's amazing how so any of us started out with the same sort of story, to many fish, too small a tank

On 9/21/2018 at 9:32 AM, Netta said:

Hi I need to clean my filters too.  I have a sponge and HOB filter.  Do you think it'll be ok to squeeze them both out during the same water change?  

I have the same set up. I only clean on at a time. This is so I don't get a cycle bump. I don't have any gravel in my tank to keep the bb's going if I do do both at the same time. If you do have gravel you might be able to get away with cleaning both, but I find it better to just clean one filter at a time :) 

Hi guys. Was a long, busy and frustrating day at work today! Was so glad when it was hometime

On 2018-09-14 at 6:36 PM, Netta said:

It is something strangely satisfying in getting all the gunk out!

Haha, for me it's a relief.  Maybe we're talking about the same thing? :whistle

Thankfully, I'm down to just one canister now.  My love is growing for sponge filters, hob's somewhere in the middle.

7 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Hi guys. Was a long, busy and frustrating day at work today! Was so glad when it was hometime

Hello!  Do you have a long commute to and from work?  We have Australia on our bucket list to visit, such a large country we would have to do it 2 parts.

15 hours ago, dahling8 said:

Hello!  Do you have a long commute to and from work?  We have Australia on our bucket list to visit, such a large country we would have to do it 2 parts.

Hi! No, its only about 20 minutes. I live in Adelaide, South Australia. Adelaide is a fairly small city. Once you get out of the city there are longer trips to be had. :)

If you want long commutes, consider Melbourne - and Sydney is also pretty big!

Hey everyone, I’m not dead, just busy!  Good to see some new faces in with the old crew :)

2 hours ago, aussieJJDude said:

Ick, who ‘wants’ long commutes?  My Sydney friend complains about that and her local housing prices all the time.  Noooo thanks!

• Like 1

Ick, who ‘wants’ long commutes?  My Sydney friend complains about that and her local housing prices all the time.  Noooo thanks!
If you really like to travel - or really like spending quality time with your car?

Yeah. House prices such here in Melbourne. If you want anything remotely close to the CBD - aka not an hour plus commute to estates with one road connection and no public transport - its a million dollars plus. Heck, half the time they are empty blocks of land!

3 hours ago, aussieJJDude said:

Haha, we'll be on vacation time, but not too interested in long commutes.  Just wondering what our neighbours have to put up with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aussieJJDude said:

If you really like to travel - or really like spending quality time with your car?

Yeah. House prices such here in Melbourne. If you want anything remotely close to the CBD - aka not an hour plus commute to estates with one road connection and no public transport - its a million dollars plus. Heck, half the time they are empty blocks of land!

Sounds like Santa Barbara, CA where I used to live. I had to get away to much for everything there :yikes 

I know right? I don’t miss California at all.  I love living in the Midwest now, though I do miss lots of things about the beauty of Alaska the cost of real estate can’t  be beat.  And the property we bought is literally a three minute commute to work for my husband and under ten minutes to major medical, two malls, two major freeways, and a minute to church.

That’s quality of life for me!  It did cost significantly over local real estate that was less convenient (and had less of a view) but the cost was still a fraction of a similar lot and location in a more expensive metro area.  Looooove!

Speaking of real estate, Bend has really exploded in the last decade or so, hasn’t it, Koko?  I recall hearing the prices have gone up notably as has the congestion.  I do love Oregon though...

On 9/26/2018 at 9:27 AM, Arctic Mama said:

I know right? I don’t miss California at all.  I love living in the Midwest now, though I do miss lots of things about the beauty of Alaska the cost of real estate can’t  be beat.  And the property we bought is literally a three minute commute to work for my husband and under ten minutes to major medical, two malls, two major freeways, and a minute to church.

That’s quality of life for me!  It did cost significantly over local real estate that was less convenient (and had less of a view) but the cost was still a fraction of a similar lot and location in a more expensive metro area.  Looooove!

I don't miss CA at all. I love Oregon and always have. TD was born and raised in CA and I was in CA and Oregon. I had to convince him to move here and after one year here he loves it and would never go back to CA. :lol 

On 9/26/2018 at 9:28 AM, Arctic Mama said:

Speaking of real estate, Bend has really exploded in the last decade or so, hasn’t it, Koko?  I recall hearing the prices have gone up notably as has the congestion.  I do love Oregon though...

Bend has exploded to much. It also seems the same thing is happening here where Im at. Just new buildings all the time. When I came to Cornelius the population was only 9K now in just two years we are up to 13K. I don't think its going to stop. They are buying all the farm lands around here and building Apartments :( 

Hiya guys

8 hours ago, koko said:

I don't miss CA at all. I love Oregon and always have. TD was born and raised in CA and I was in CA and Oregon. I had to convince him to move here and after one year here he loves it and would never go back to CA. :lol 

Bend has exploded to much. It also seems the same thing is happening here where Im at. Just new buildings all the time. When I came to Cornelius the population was only 9K now in just two years we are up to 13K. I don't think its going to stop. They are buying all the farm lands around here and building Apartments :( 

Population 9K? Lol nice. I think there are like 500k people in Atlanta. Talk about overcrowding. My word. 

Just 500k? 4.8 mill currently where I live - not the biggest, but big enough!