koko

Yearly Raffle is now open!

79 posts in this topic

I will be updating this thread soon. I will be having our yearly Raffle and everyone is welcomed. :thumbs: 

Update 9/11/2018

Im giving away two  Yujin Gashapons Goldfish of your choice. Also a Koko's Goldfish Shirt (I only have Medium and Large).

the only thing I ask is for you to post something about your self, like how did you get into raising goldfish. :thumbs:

Everyone is welcomed.

I will be randomly picking a winner on Oct 11 2018.

Enjoy and have fun :)

koko

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-01%20at%207.09.4

0911181017c.jpg

0911181017b.jpg

0911181017a.jpg

0911181017.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Koko!!!! :redbanana:    :redbanana:    :redbanana:

Edited by DawnMichele

Nice. 👍🏽

Can't wait for the details!😊

Okay will get to it tomorrow. Been so busy :crazy: 

Oh yeah! Oh yeah!  I want me a Koko's T-shirt!  I'll get this started!  I'm probably the newest noobie here!

My story is classic!  I got into fishkeeping when my son was in preschool (now 13 years old!) and he won an inch long Common.  Poor Fish!  I put him in a 1.5 gallon tank.  Duh, small fish small tank!  Didn't know anything about cycling and he died of Ich.

I'm busy busy taking care of my son who's my only child.  I volunteer lots at my sons school and with the Boyscouts.  I love to have fun and I love goldfish.  It's like taking care of babies all over again!  

• Like 3

Well Nice to meet you Netta :thumbs: I got 2 goldfish of now and my 5 year old has named them. I been into goldfish since about 1998 :yikes Man thats along time :) 

• Like 1

Nice to meet you as well.  Y'all seem like nice peoples😊 What did your 5 year old name them?  Wow, 1998 is a long time!  Great experience!

4 hours ago, Netta said:

Nice to meet you as well.  Y'all seem like nice peoples😊 What did your 5 year old name them?  Wow, 1998 is a long time!  Great experience!

Goldfish and Zechariah :)

Yeah I was just thinking as I was typing that, WOW thats been a long long time :lol 

😊 Little kids are so sweet.

• Like 1

Oooh I'd love those Yujin Gashapons Goldfish lol. 

It's been just over 10 years since I got my first fish! Honestly, at the time I had dogs, cats, rabbits, rats and birds so I figured why not add a couple of fish :rofl I started with a 5g tank and 3 goldfish, and it got bigger and bigger from there :P

• Like 2

Had an outdoor pond, wanted to stock with aussie natives but unfortunately the local fish shop couldn't order the fish in. It was summer, and mosquitos are in full effect and family was going to get goldies. Relented, but only if we stock with fancies- always wanted to keep fancies, have had tropical fish for 10+ years! And rest is history!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Oooh I'd love those Yujin Gashapons Goldfish lol. 

It's been just over 10 years since I got my first fish! Honestly, at the time I had dogs, cats, rabbits, rats and birds so I figured why not add a couple of fish :rofl I started with a 5g tank and 3 goldfish, and it got bigger and bigger from there :P

That sounds like me about 20 years ago. I had almost every kind of animal but goldfish at first. I had even Osacars and tropical fish. :rofl 

Here's my not so brief story. Koko, I'll pass on the raffle entry, if I'm lucky enough to be selected, shipping is a bit of a hassle cross border.

My dad bought my first fish tank for me when I was 8 years old. 5 gallon, probably 6 or so tiny goldfish.  Most promptly died, but a couple managed to survive even though this was way before I had any clue about the nitrogen cycle, chlorine, water changes and the Internet or PC's were not invented.

I dabbled with guppies for a few years and eventually to a 20 gallon tropical community tank.  I think that original 5 gallon tank became a gerbil home.  I left the hobby for a few years and restarted the 20g tank with goldfish for my dad. He always enjoyed goldfish.  It was overstocked and 1 by 1 they started dying and my buddy said I had ammonia problems, when they died, I left the hobby for about 15 years.  Still no internet or PC's.

I passed the 20 gallon tank to my niece as a tropical community tank.  New tank syndrome - ammonia issues, most fish died.  Just before the internet and PC's.

A few years later, my 8 year old showed an interest in aquariums.  Bought a 10 gallon kit.  Wow - this internet stuff and all these Aquarium forums.  I got up to speed on the nitrogen cycle, stocking levels and water chemistry.  Yea!  Longer term success!  From the 10 gallon with corys and a betta to a 20 gallon with endlers and red cherry shrimp and more corys.  Fast forward a few years, Big Al's had a sale on Aquariums one Christmas, so I brought home a 75 gallon tank.  Wow...water changes took forever and I was doing daily 50% water changes for juvenile discus, so I invested in a Mag pump, Pythons were too slow.  The 75 gallon turned into a 120 gallon acrylic - big mistake.  You stare at an acrylic tank it will scratch before your eyes.  

I thought it would be cool to try some fancy goldfish again.  I had an acquaintance that wanted to work in a goldfish farm that his uncle in China owned and he handpicked some strains for me that I never even heard of.  They all died within a year - weird diseases I was never able to figure out.  A buddy of mine says he buys imported goldfish, if they live longer than a year, he's happy.  He suspected they were hormoned for looks/colour.  I swore off goldfish.

I've had a lot of fun breeding Tanganyika cichlids, tropheus and a few different kind of shellies were my favourite, they were either in large tanks or a breeding rack along with a SE Asian themed loach tank.  I gave up those tanks last year - just time to downsize to a few mid and small sized tanks.  Retirement and travel is not too far away.  For nostalgic reasons and in memory of my dad, I really wanted a tank of goldfish again - kinda full circle, start and end the hobby with goldfish.  I heard good things of domestic goldfish from ECR so I have a few of Cynthia's fish and a breeding colony of duplicareus corydoras, 2 of my favourite species.  I still have a couple of Rubbermaid stock tanks, I may buy a group of juvenile top view ranchu from a domestic breeder next Spring and grow those out.  But I swear - that's it!  That doesn't include a 15 year old lovebird and a 6 year old poodle.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, koko said:

That sounds like me about 20 years ago. I had almost every kind of animal but goldfish at first. I had even Osacars and tropical fish. :rofl 

What's an Osacar??? Is that a new breed of fish??? :lol:

6 hours ago, dahling8 said:

Here's my not so brief story. Koko, I'll pass on the raffle entry, if I'm lucky enough to be selected, shipping is a bit of a hassle cross border.

My dad bought my first fish tank for me when I was 8 years old. 5 gallon, probably 6 or so tiny goldfish.  Most promptly died, but a couple managed to survive even though this was way before I had any clue about the nitrogen cycle, chlorine, water changes and the Internet or PC's were not invented.

I dabbled with guppies for a few years and eventually to a 20 gallon tropical community tank.  I think that original 5 gallon tank became a gerbil home.  I left the hobby for a few years and restarted the 20g tank with goldfish for my dad. He always enjoyed goldfish.  It was overstocked and 1 by 1 they started dying and my buddy said I had ammonia problems, when they died, I left the hobby for about 15 years.  Still no internet or PC's.

I passed the 20 gallon tank to my niece as a tropical community tank.  New tank syndrome - ammonia issues, most fish died.  Just before the internet and PC's.

A few years later, my 8 year old showed an interest in aquariums.  Bought a 10 gallon kit.  Wow - this internet stuff and all these Aquarium forums.  I got up to speed on the nitrogen cycle, stocking levels and water chemistry.  Yea!  Longer term success!  From the 10 gallon with corys and a betta to a 20 gallon with endlers and red cherry shrimp and more corys.  Fast forward a few years, Big Al's had a sale on Aquariums one Christmas, so I brought home a 75 gallon tank.  Wow...water changes took forever and I was doing daily 50% water changes for juvenile discus, so I invested in a Mag pump, Pythons were too slow.  The 75 gallon turned into a 120 gallon acrylic - big mistake.  You stare at an acrylic tank it will scratch before your eyes.  

I thought it would be cool to try some fancy goldfish again.  I had an acquaintance that wanted to work in a goldfish farm that his uncle in China owned and he handpicked some strains for me that I never even heard of.  They all died within a year - weird diseases I was never able to figure out.  A buddy of mine says he buys imported goldfish, if they live longer than a year, he's happy.  He suspected they were hormoned for looks/colour.  I swore off goldfish.

I've had a lot of fun breeding Tanganyika cichlids, tropheus and a few different kind of shellies were my favourite, they were either in large tanks or a breeding rack along with a SE Asian themed loach tank.  I gave up those tanks last year - just time to downsize to a few mid and small sized tanks.  Retirement and travel is not too far away.  For nostalgic reasons and in memory of my dad, I really wanted a tank of goldfish again - kinda full circle, start and end the hobby with goldfish.  I heard good things of domestic goldfish from ECR so I have a few of Cynthia's fish and a breeding colony of duplicareus corydoras, 2 of my favourite species.  I still have a couple of Rubbermaid stock tanks, I may buy a group of juvenile top view ranchu from a domestic breeder next Spring and grow those out.  But I swear - that's it!  That doesn't include a 15 year old lovebird and a 6 year old poodle.

I can ship anything :rofl Don't worry post away and enter as many times as you want :) 

2 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

What's an Osacar??? Is that a new breed of fish??? :lol:

Thats what happens when I take Justine to school and hour early and then try to get in the school later from the back school yard and being locked out. What a morning I tell ya :rofl 

:hi 

14 hours ago, koko said:

goldfish were my first ever fish, but they have got me into other fish. I got goldfish because I thought they would be easier than tropical fish lol

• Haha 1

I will try.  I have had goldfish off and on for almost my whole life.   Right now I have three beautiful goldfish, two moors and one orange telescope.  I am starting to think that my orange telly is not a boy as I thought but her name could be used for a girl.  Not sure what Sunny is but I think Summer is actually Mr. Summers.  My guess Sunny is Ms. Sunny since I got those two at the same time and Mr. Summers is so much bigger than Ms. Sunny.  I might be getting more goldies soon if I can figure out how to keep the new ones alive.

I like goldfish.  I think one reason I got into goldfish is that someone once commented that goldfish are not real fish but she later changed her story so I am not sure if that happened.  I have lost some goldfish but more might be on their way (if I understand Mr. Summers intentions.)

• Like 1

Its waterchange day today, gotta make myself get motivated. But it's also catching up on housework 

8 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Its waterchange day today, gotta make myself get motivated. But it's also catching up on housework 

I understand this! I pump up the music to get me motivated for water changes! Helps with housework too:)

I usually enjoy waterchanges, i dread filter cleaning though! But i did get all my waterchanges done, as well as a good chunk od housework today 

Awesome good for you :thumbup2:

TGIF!

16 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I got one corner of the house that needs to be cleaned. Then a yard sale coming up :o

6 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I usually enjoy waterchanges, i dread filter cleaning though! But i did get all my waterchanges done, as well as a good chunk od housework today 

I don't mind cleaning my HOB its the sponge filter that gets me. Plus now that the weather has changed the water is oh so cold :( 

3 hours ago, koko said:

I got one corner of the house that needs to be cleaned. Then a yard sale coming up :o

I don't mind cleaning my HOB its the sponge filter that gets me. Plus now that the weather has changed the water is oh so cold :( 

Oh I'm fine with HOB and Sponge Filters, its the Canisters I hate :rofl But the bracing on my tank is too big for HOB and my tank is just too big for HOBs to be sufficient anyway.

• Haha 1

Oh I'm fine with HOB and Sponge Filters, its the Canisters I hate :rofl But the bracing on my tank is too big for HOB and my tank is just too big for HOBs to be sufficient anyway.
I love my canisters! Infact, I hate the ones you mentioned, but canisters. Are fun. Especially cleaning it out and giving everything a good wash.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk