raduc

Black Moor cut his eye off

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've been away over the weekend. When I came back I noticed that the filter intake grill had fallen off and my black moor gut sucked in by it and cut is eye pretty bad (see pics).

The cut piece still hangs by the bottom of his head. He is swimming almost normally, albeit looks slower than usual to me and hangs quite a lot on the surface. 
Also I don;t know what the white stuff is.  

Do you have any ideas how I could help him?

Many thanks.

IMG_20180902_205719.jpg

IMG_20180902_205820.jpg

Edited by raduc

You could sedate him and finish removing it. Other members here have experience with that. But either way he will lose it. He can live a long healthy life without it though.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

I’m so sorry, that stinks when it happens.  

The best you can do is make sure your filter is WELL attached.  A few rubber bands around the intake or some waterproof/marine tape around the connection can help.

In terms of healing, keep his stress low and move him into a quarantine with impeccably clean water and .3% salt.  Instructions here: https://www.kokosgoldfish.com/UsingSalt.html

I’d recommend just using an air stone/bubbler in the quarantine, no filter.  Change 100% of the water and salt daily, to keep it as clean as possible.  Don’t feed anything else today but tomorrow you can try a SMALL amount of food.  Like, one mouthful for the fish.  We want to keep energy up, but feeding can cause stress too, and foul the water.  Clean, warm, dark, and as low stress as possible will allow him to heal, if he is going to.  There is not much more you can do.  It’s very individual whether a fish bounces back from a wound like this.

• Like 2

Ok, thanks a lot for your help, everybody.

I will quarantine the fish with salt and not operate him, as I don;t think I have the useful tools for that...

On 9/2/2018 at 12:57 PM, raduc said:

Ok, thanks a lot for your help, everybody.

I will quarantine the fish with salt and not operate him, as I don;t think I have the useful tools for that...

How is the fish doing? 

Was looking good and acting normal Sunday evening when I came home from the weekend.
Then I fed him 4 pellets and he didn't take that too well as soon after started swimming randomly and twisting,
Now it's 2 days that he's been bent towards his left side, kinda apathetic, sitting on the bottom of the tank and only rarely swimming/twisting.

I'm considering killing him, as I don't think he'll get over this and it just stresses me out seeing him like that...
Any idea what might have happened to him Sunday evening? Maybe I learn something new...

It sounds like it might just be too much for his body to heal from.  Whenever they become bent in a c shape it’s bad news :(  I’m sorry about your fish but euthanizing may  be the most humane option at this point.