mjfromga

Atlanta Koi show

37 posts in this topic

I will be there... And I believe I will bring my young man Bayana with me. Should be interesting. I'll post pictures here when I go. 

Screenshot_2018-08-18-18-20-37_kindlephoto-420139661.png

• Like 2

Awesome, I can't wait to see :) 

Looking forward to seeing the picture's!!!

Ticking down now. Both Bayana and Star will be there with me. My sweet little boys. I hope to enjoy the show. I hope I don't see a fish I like because I do not have any room. I am only interested in one vendor that I trust, and he doesn't tend to have the fish I like. 

I hope Bayana & Star do great and you have a wonderful time Myra!!!

Purely out of curiousity, when you enter the shows Myra, do you QT the fish when you get them back home? There is only one 'show' for fish around here that I know of and when I've looked there I've realized I'd be so worried about cross contamination that if I ever entered a fish I'd have to QT it when I got it back home just to reassure myself lol

They recommend a QT. They don't say for how long. I quarantine all the fish I got from shows properly, but disease claimed my pond anyway several months down the line. Quarantine no longer reassures me. It isn't a waste of time, but if there's something really bad, a quarantine won't stop it. This is why I shortened the QT on my Barbies. 

My two fish will be in the show and they appear totally healthy of course (this is required as any fish that isn't healthy will be removed) but they were exposed to something that claimed my entire pond and also claimed several fish that Taryl had.

I don't believe the chances of cross contamination are worrisome or I wouldn't even take them because if they have whatever claimed my pond and pass it, a quarantine would make no difference at all. 

Fair enough :)

Photos woman photos 

I will definitely take photos when I go. I hope my sweet little boys enjoy the show. 

10 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I will definitely take photos when I go. I hope my sweet little boys enjoy the show. 

Sounds like a lot of fun.   I never been to a fish show.

I've gone the past two years, and brought a baby fish the past two years. First year my baby fantail won best in special. Last year my baby ryukin won baby grand champ. I was hoping to show an adult this year but sadly I lost all my fish to a mystery disease and I had no adults left. I got some babies last winter and I will be showing two this year as well. We only show for fun and I only show tiny cheap fish, so it's nice that they do well sometimes. 

That's interesting.  Good luck this time around.

On 9/21/2018 at 11:15 AM, mjfromga said:

I've gone the past two years, and brought a baby fish the past two years. First year my baby fantail won best in special. Last year my baby ryukin won baby grand champ. I was hoping to show an adult this year but sadly I lost all my fish to a mystery disease and I had no adults left. I got some babies last winter and I will be showing two this year as well. We only show for fun and I only show tiny cheap fish, so it's nice that they do well sometimes. 

Im sure one of them will win :thumbs: 

On 9/21/2018 at 9:34 AM, Netta said:

Sounds like a lot of fun.   I never been to a fish show.

I have been to a lot of them but I have never shown mine :o 

Nah. I don't have a nice calico this year. Both my boys who did well were nice calico boys. These boys are just plain red and white boys that aren't uncommon or nice. But I always like to show a fish and see the Koi and so it'll be fun regardless. 

3 hours ago, koko said:

I have been to a lot of them but I have never shown mine :o 

Why not show? It's just for fun. Winning isn't important. My boys have always enjoyed the show. They seem to like the attention from all the people. They are friendly young boys. There are some fish that are clearly scared or stressed and I don't think it's right to bring those fish against their will but my boys always like it. 

Half food today. No more for the rest of the week. They'll still have algae to nibble but no actual fish food. They're not supposed to eat for a few days before the show. I could pull the two that are headed to the show and feed the others as normal but I think they'll be less stressed if I just cut their fish food and leave them home. 

On 9/23/2018 at 3:48 PM, mjfromga said:

Why not show? It's just for fun. Winning isn't important. My boys have always enjoyed the show. They seem to like the attention from all the people. They are friendly young boys. There are some fish that are clearly scared or stressed and I don't think it's right to bring those fish against their will but my boys always like it. 

Well in both the places I have lived the travel would be to much for the fish and me. I really wanted to show my Chocolate Oranda years ago but the nearest spot I had was 4hours away. :o Here it would mean driving in Portland and thats not going to happen I tell ya. We have a rule when me and my BFF drive. No one gets out in Portland or Seattle :rofl 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 11:38 AM, koko said:

Well in both the places I have lived the travel would be to much for the fish and me. I really wanted to show my Chocolate Oranda years ago but the nearest spot I had was 4hours away. :o Here it would mean driving in Portland and thats not going to happen I tell ya. We have a rule when me and my BFF drive. No one gets out in Portland or Seattle :rofl 

Gotcha. The show is an hour from me. An hour drive with the boys isn't a big deal. A 4 hour trip is easily managed as well with proper preparation but I can see why you just decided against it. I don't attend the central Georgia show because it's far like that. 

I will bench my little boys tomorrow. There was no Hurricane in Florida this year and so I doubt we do well this year considering I have no calicos. The majority of the competition is from Florida and they are clear this year. It will be fun nonetheless. 

10 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

Gotcha. The show is an hour from me. An hour drive with the boys isn't a big deal. A 4 hour trip is easily managed as well with proper preparation but I can see why you just decided against it. I don't attend the central Georgia show because it's far like that. 

I will bench my little boys tomorrow. There was no Hurricane in Florida this year and so I doubt we do well this year considering I have no calicos. The majority of the competition is from Florida and they are clear this year. It will be fun nonetheless. 

And also it was in the LA area in CA. I don't drive into LA and here I won't get out in Portland either. the traffic in those places are just nuts. :o

I can't wait to see the photos :thumbs: They have one here in Portland it was closer a few years ago but they moved it into the downtown area last time I looked. :( 

Plus the two fish I have now are not show quality at all. Goldfish's bump on his back is getting bigger and Zac her tail is bent on the back end. :( But I love them anyway.

• Like 1

Eh my boys are not show quality. Star has developed a slightly out turned gill plate on one side and Bayana is a little shrimpy dude! Last I checked, SHRIMP don't win GOLDFISH shows. We just show for fun... But admittedly I wouldn't bring a fish with a big tumor. It would be disqualified anyway. I know ALL about tumor fish, with my entire Slate Boo Boo debacle. 

6 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

Eh my boys are not show quality. Star has developed a slightly out turned gill plate on one side and Bayana is a little shrimpy dude! Last I checked, SHRIMP don't win GOLDFISH shows. We just show for fun... But admittedly I wouldn't bring a fish with a big tumor. It would be disqualified anyway. I know ALL about tumor fish, with my entire Slate Boo Boo debacle. 

Yeah I remember him. I didn't notice the bump till about the 2nd month I had him. He's a chunk now and that bump is just recently gotten bigger. :( I was going to get ECR fish but I forgot when I got into the store and saw those faces. I wanted to take them all :rofl 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 12:41 PM, koko said:

Yeah I remember him. I didn't notice the bump till about the 2nd month I had him. He's a chunk now and that bump is just recently gotten bigger. :( I was going to get ECR fish but I forgot when I got into the store and saw those faces. I wanted to take them all :rofl 

Boys benched up but only a few fish there... Tomorrow I will return when they light up the area and take pics etc. Hopefully my sweet little boys are okay. 

Here are some photos... Sorry for the quality of them... There were SO MANY fish this year and there were people all over and I was moving fast past the tanks. This IS NOT all of them. More to come. 

IMG_20180929_150308.jpg

IMG_20180929_150259.jpg

IMG_20180929_150231.jpg

IMG_20180929_145934.jpg

IMG_20180929_145910.jpg

IMG_20180929_145906.jpg

IMG_20180929_145856.jpg

IMG_20180929_145852.jpg

• Like 2