ShadowScru

Does my goldfish have popeye?

24 posts in this topic

My goldfish (new bought) had one eye which is 2x the size as the other. Is this natural or does he have popeye? 

20180825_191355.jpg

Can you get us a photo from the other side of the fish and more of them. :) 

When you can please fill this out.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

To me really it looks like an injury. There is a slight bit of blood in that eye at the bottom.

copy and past that forum for me and fill it out, we can try and help you better.

One other question can you give us a full tank shot so we can see what is in this tank that might have hurt the eye :) 

• I dont have home testing kits however today i did take a sample of water to my pet store when i went to buy the fish as they offer free tests. They said nothing unusual came up (they test for ammonia nitrate, nitrite and ph)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * 22 degrees
      • * 100L been running for about 4months (I have a 50gal tank which i will put them in once they are grown up)
      • * the filter is one inbuild in the tank that it came with so im not sure
      • * I do a weekly change of about 20%
  • Last thursday
  • * 4 fish (3 are 2inch and one is just under 4 inches
  • * i add tap safe to the water when doing changes
  • * i feed them fancy goldfish pellets
  • * The fish im concerned about is new i just got him today
  • * no medications
  •  
  • Only the large eye
  •  

Welcome to kokos!!!! Hope your Goldfish feels better!!!

5 hours ago, ShadowScru said:
    • I dont have home testing kits however today i did take a sample of water to my pet store when i went to buy the fish as they offer free tests. They said nothing unusual came up (they test for ammonia nitrate, nitrite and ph)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * 22 degrees
      • * 100L been running for about 4months (I have a 50gal tank which i will put them in once they are grown up)
      • * the filter is one inbuild in the tank that it came with so im not sure
      • * I do a weekly change of about 20%
  • Last thursday
  • * 4 fish (3 are 2inch and one is just under 4 inches
  • * i add tap safe to the water when doing changes
  • * i feed them fancy goldfish pellets
  • * The fish im concerned about is new i just got him today
  • * no medications
  •  
  • Only the large eye
  •  

As for the test results we really do need the numbers. A lot of LFS will tell you its okay but not the numbers and even if you have .25 ammonia they will say its safe when its not.

100 litter tank is really to small for these fish, they need at least 20 gallons per fish. :o

Also a built in filter is really hard to deal with on goldfish. They produce so much waste its hard to keep up with on goldfish.

I would be changing more than 20% on the tank, more like 50-60% and since your over stocked I would be doing atleast 25% every day.

Did you QT this new fish or place him in with the other right away? Did this fish have this eye problem before you got him? 

I understand u say 20gal per fish but these are only just babies ofc when they do grow a lot i am planning on moving them in to a suitable tank for their size (50gal) like i said. I will start larger water changes but this isnt what im trying to get at. I did not quarentine as i bough it from a store so im assuming the wouldnt sell me a fish with an illnesses considering the amount i paid. And at the store i didnt notice the difference in size of his eye but maybe thats just me being oblivious. What im trying to get answered from the thread is what is wrong with the fish and what i should do, considering i just added him and my other fish show now signs of stress or other issues i dont think water quality is the problem.

Often fish will have asymmetrical eyes, but there is a big difference there and I see the bloody bit Koko is concerned about.

The questions Koko asked don't just say what caused the problem, but also helps us assess how best to advise you to treat.

On a side note, I always recommend Quarantine, no matter where you got the fish or how much you paid for it. Any fish can have problems and it's easier to treat it alone than in an established tank. Quarantine also gives the new fish to relax after been transferred and to adapt to any differences in water chemistry between your home and the store.

what should i do then, i dont really have the resources for a quarentine tank

50 minutes ago, ShadowScru said:

what should i do then, i dont really have the resources for a quarentine tank

Thats going to be the hard part. To treat your going to need a 10Gallon tank or Tote with a filter or sponge filter and Doing water changes every other day and also salt. There isn't much you can do as this looks to be and injury to me. Also just to let you know. Goldfish when you have to many in a small container sometimes will nip, or bite each other. This is cause there isn't much space for them to swim and they can try to suck eyes off of each other. :( 

Posted (edited)

If i added small quantities of salt to my tank would it stress my other healthy fish? Also ive noticed he was chasing the little fish around a lot however i thought they were playing to solve this I removed 2 of the fish from the tank so now there are only 2 fish which are similar-ish size so hopefully there isnt bullying issues i didnt realise goldfish could be so aggresive/teratorrial. Also if he does heal will the large eye shrink or just remain the same?

Edited by ShadowScru

You don't need an aquarium for a quarantine tank.  An underbed plastic storage box like this one works better.

I've had a lot of goldfish, and have never seen bullying.  Chasing usually indicates attempts at spawning.

I don't think your fish has popeye.  Popeye usually, if not always, affects both eyes.  Did the fish look like this when you got it?

To me, it looks like this fish has one normal eye and one telescope eye.  This would happen if a telescope fish had some kind of developmental error that resulted in one of the eyes not "telescoping" and thus has mismatched eyes.  

When i originally bought they fish i cant remember noticing the large eye, as soon as i got home i realised. so i doubt in the space of a 20 minute car joruney that this occured. Im pretty sure he is a telescope so maybe his small eye is the issue xD. So do you think i should go through the process of  quarentine or just leave him for now if there is no popeye?

If you don't think its popeye then he should be alright. But I always praziquantel all my new fish, just to make sure they don't have flukes :) 

As he grows will his eyes even out of is he just going to have the abnormality forever?

I expect him to remain a rare "special" fish.  He may be one in a million.

He will have an advantage over bilateral telescopes in having better vision and far less risk of injury in his normal eye.  

How is the fish doing? 

On 11/09/2018 at 6:42 PM, koko said:

How is the fish doing? 

"Barry" i named him, i doing great! His eyes are still dramitically different but seems to not have affected him at all, and wow his tail has grown huge!

20180915_194107.jpg

15395415405325221584888069353840.jpg

• Like 3

He looks great!

On 10/14/2018 at 11:26 AM, ShadowScru said:

"Barry" i named him, i doing great! His eyes are still dramitically different but seems to not have affected him at all, and wow his tail has grown huge!

20180915_194107.jpg

15395415405325221584888069353840.jpg

I can see now he really is an odd eye telescope :lol 

On 10/14/2018 at 2:01 PM, FishyMandy said:

He looks great!

I agree :thumbs: 

He does look great!  Very interesting with the two different eyes, but his velvety scales and clear eye lens are excellent signs of health.   Cheers to you!