• * Nitrite Level(Tank) N/A
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) N/A
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) N/A
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)N/A
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)N/A
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)N/A
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)N/A
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops (I do not have it right now)
  • * Water temperature? 75 
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons 8 years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? SunSUn 304hb I think canister 525gph aquaclear 70 300 gph
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? I've been slacking :donthit
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? maybe a month and a half ago? 95%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2. maybe 8-10 inches and the other bout 4-5 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? A mix. NLS/Hiakri Sinking pellets. 1-2 times a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? The rescue feeder fish about 2 months ago
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. It's been a long time since I have used anything. I don't remember.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Redness under her eye.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Leaning, lethargic. Not bottom sitting that I am aware of. She looks thin. I don't think I see any pine coning. It's almost like she looks emaciated and wasting away. 

I have her in a 10 gallon QT tank. Heater set to 75, aquaclear 50 about half power (she's kinda weak). I do not think my tap water has changed, so I would imagine her water is pristine at this moment. 0 everything and a 7.6-7.8 pH (Added a teaspoon of baking soda)

I have oxytetracycline hydrochloride, (Maybe expired? no exp. date), expired by about 8 months metroplex, and expired by 4 months  kanaplex. and liquid prazipro.

718BE8A6-09A1-4757-AB35-62E441ACD580.jpeg

image.jpg

Hey Mikey!!!! IM so sorry Moon isn't doing well!!! My Best to her!!!

• Like 1

Thank you dawn :hug:heart 

I’m thinking she may need prazi, maybe a quarter teaspoon of epsom, and metronidazole. But you guys are the experts. I’ve had her for 5 years this month :( I don’t want to lose her. 

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Thank you dawn :hug:heart 

:hug:heart

Posted (edited)

That does look like an infection to me if she isn’t usually red.  I have an oranda who has those sorts of odd red hollows under her eyes normally, but Moon’s pectoral fin looks inflamed at the base, too.  That is usually a sign of flukes.  

She could just be getting older and weaker, but I don’t want to use the kana on her if that is the case.

I think I agree that a good prazi is in order, and the metro with that.  The Epsom is your call, I’m not sure it would do any good because her water retention isn’t particularly bad in that eye, but it won’t hurt either.  I’d do 1/2 teaspoon per ten gallons though.

Two week course, keep the water only slightly warm (if you go too warm it can lower the oxygen content of the water needlessly, since I don’t think this is a parasite).  She should start looking better by about day 4-5.  If not, we will add in the oxytetracycline as well.  But let’s just start with prazi and metro, please, and keep the water clean :)

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 1

Thank you Taryl :hug  she’s definitely very weak. The aqua clear is holding her to the intake :( I put a sponge on it so she won’t get hurt and turned it down a little. 

How ow should I go about the treatments? 

Metro every other day after a 90-100% water change and redose the prazi each time? 

I did notice this weird tint in her eye at the base only. It’s almost green? And kind of circular. Im wondering if there is a tumor growing :(  

760559C5-4AE5-42B6-86F0-162050BE441F.jpeg

She's fairly old for a Ranchu. If she is stuck to the filter intake, things have gotten bad. I think poor water quality has made her sick. Old fish don't bounce back as easily. I wish you the best of luck. You're in good hands with Taryl. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mjfromga said:

She's fairly old for a Ranchu. If she is stuck to the filter intake, things have gotten bad. I think poor water quality has made her sick. Old fish don't bounce back as easily. I wish you the best of luck. You're in good hands with Taryl. 

She isn’t stuck, but she gets pulled towards it if that makes any sense. Right now she’s sulking beavause if the fluke treatment. I just ordered new metro and it’ll be here tomorrow. And thank you!! :hug 

Edit:

her poop is a mix of long and stringy and a little bit normal looking. She has a weird white ring of lines around her here eye. They almost look like worms and I want to puke. 

Edited by Mikey

You can also see the circle green thing I was mentioning in this picture 

2E29DF0A-6B4F-45DF-B0C2-0AB909FD9859.jpeg

Hi Mike. How is Moon doing today?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

Hi Mike. How is Moon doing today?

Hi Dawn! I think about the same? Other than the weird white worm looking things around her eye. The red looks like it lessened, but she’s still I would say acting the same as last night. The new metro will be here tomorrow. I just don’t know what to do with the prazi/metro for the two weeks and how to dose the prazi since I’m changing the water every two days for the metro. 

Posted (edited)

Sorry Mikey, I didn’t have notifications turned on.  My suggestions is changing the water daily and redosing the metro each time. With the prazi, I’d redose for four days and then take a three day break, redose for four more days and another three off, for two weeks total of the metro and prazi together.

That break in the prazi really helps nail the suckers so more can hatch out, if need be, and die.

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

And unless you’ve been feeding her libe food or there has been anything new in the tank lately, parasites are unlikely, TBH.  I don’t see anything too crazy in the picture, just scale and tissue...? Old people get weird looking and grow funky things and honestly, old animals aren’t that different 🤣

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Sorry Mikey, I didn’t have notifications turned on.  My suggestions is changing the water daily and redosing the metro each time. With the prazi, I’d redose for four days and then take a three day break, redose for four more days and another three off, for two weeks total of the metro and prazi together.

That break in the prazi really helps nail the suckers so more can hatch out, if need be, and die.

Okay I’ll order more prazi too haha! Thank you!! 

No live foods. Only new fish is the rescue feeder fish but I don’t think she has parasites. She’s extremely active and vibrant in color. 

The only reason I was concerned about the really zoomed in picture is because that ring thing around her eye appeared overnight. One of those seemed to be leaking into the water? It was really gross looking. 

6BF3DD28-6151-4B6C-985A-F41AE01C4F3F.jpeg

I saw, but if you had an infection and swelling could you not also have some tissue or even seeping from the site?  That looks like it is healing or even draining to me, but nothing overly alarming.  Zoom out a bit and let me see her in profile from that side pleases. Up close it’s like looking at a dimple on a face in Mount Vernon and being told to guess which president it belongs to 😽

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

I saw, but if you had an infection and swelling could you not also have some tissue or even seeping from the site?  That looks like it is healing or even draining to me, but nothing overly alarming.  Zoom out a bit and let me see her in profile from that side pleases. Up close it’s like looking at a dimple on a face in Mount Vernon and being told to guess which president it belongs to 😽

Okay! I’ll get right on it! 

I got very lucky :o I got 20 grandmas of metronidazole for 15 dollars! I paid 4 dollars for one day shipping. (Gotta love amazon) I ordered 10 grams, but the company doubled it by mistake I suppose! 

image.jpg

The expired wasn’t a huge deal, you can use that up first.

17 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

The expired wasn’t a huge deal, you can use that up first.

I had almost none left :(  I think there is enough for one more dose 

8CA87B32-B798-4BAD-9A1E-D44E4E75BAAA.jpeg