2meat2side

Help with fishless cycle

6 posts in this topic

Need help with fishless cycle . Started a month ago using ammonia . Overdosed my tank to almost 8ppm with no activity whatsoever . After about two weeks with nothing going on i consulted a lfs employee . They told be to do a large water change to get my ammonia to about 2.5 ppm . I got myself down to that level after a water change and added dr tims one and only to hopefully get something going on . It’s now been another week and ammonia is still at 2.5 and no readings for nitrite . I just bought some seachem stability and am thinking of staring to use that . Do i meed to add ammonia during this process ? Should i have a higher ammonia level or is 2.5 to low to get this started . Please help !

Ammonia levels over 1ppm can inhibit nitrification.  Are you using a water conditioner?  Chlorine can kill nitrifiers as well as fish.  We recommend Seachem Prime.

Fishless cycling rarely gets completed in less than 2 months, some have taken 6 months or more.  A fish-in cycle usually completes in about a month.  I think this happens because one keeps the ammonia and nitrite very low in a fish-in cycle -- just the way the nitrifiers like it.

Do you have another aquarium with fish?  Seeding the new aquarium with some cycled medium from your tank will work better than any nitrifiers from another source, since they have been selected for your conditions.

• Like 1

Unfortunately i dont Have another tank or access to media . I am Using seachem prime . As my conditioner . I think Initially i overdosed And my second time trying after a water change and lower ammonia levels i added Bacteria but not enough ammonia for them to feed on . I now Have my tank dosed to around 4 ppm and am using seachem stability every day 

OK.  Go for 4ppm ammonia.  It's your tank and it should be cycled before Christmas.

Seachem recommends you start with clean water and " for expedited cycling times, you will want to add a pinch of food daily until you have an ammonia reading. At that point, you can stop adding the food and let the bacteria run its course."

OK Dr Tim recommends you use 2ppm ammonia.  

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling 

Posted (edited)

Been cycling this tank for about a month recently started using seachem stability and am finally seeing readings . Wondering what to do at this point ? Do i wait Until ammonia drops and then dose the tank with ammonia to keep it steady until the next bacteria grow . Or do i do A water change . Seems like my nitrite levels are high I’ve read that can stall a cycle . Any pointers appreciated I’m a newbie 

7B31FEC4-80A5-4CAA-8860-17BFC8F0AB62.jpeg

Edited by 2meat2side

Change water until your nitrite drops below 2 ppm and continue to change water to keep it there.  You don't have to add any ammonia.  The ammonia oxidizers will be just fine.  The high nitrite inhibits nitrite oxidation.  If you don't lower the nitrite concentration your nitrite spike might last for a month or more.

When the nitrite concentration drops to zero, your tank has cycled.

• Like 2