mjfromga

Weights

17 posts in this topic

Man nobody posts here anymore. So unfortunate. Anyway I've never weighed my babies and so here goes. As I suspected, Whisper HAS passed his brother Star in size. Smallest to largest... 

Tercey, Bayana, Star, Whisper, Shrimp, and Rustic... 

So funny how shrimp outweighs Star now. Rustic is by far the largest. The regular goldfish always get huge compared to the fancies. 

IMG_20180810_135923.jpg

IMG_20180810_140047.jpg

IMG_20180810_140009.jpg

IMG_20180810_135945.jpg

IMG_20180810_141231.jpg

IMG_20180810_140235.jpg

• Like 1

WOW they are getting quite big :) Looking good :thumbs:

• Like 1

They look great Myra!!!  :thumbup2:

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 11:04 AM, koko said:

WOW they are getting quite big :) Looking good :thumbs:

Thanks a ton Koko. 

17 hours ago, Caretta Rose said:

Star is absolutely gorgeous. 

Lol... Yeah he outshines his siblings... Hence his name. 

5 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

They look great Myra!!!  :thumbup2:

Thanks Dawn

Here are weights today. They've had a growth spurt. Star has passed his brother back now and Tercey gained on Bayana. Rustic is still the biggest by far. Silly Comets always out growing my sweet little fancy babies. 

IMG_20180902_155450.jpg

IMG_20180902_155306.jpg

IMG_20180902_155329.jpg

IMG_20180902_155222.jpg

IMG_20180902_155609.jpg

IMG_20180902_155947.jpg

Wow they are nice a fat now :teehee 

• Like 1

Me and brother are thinking about a small upgrade. We don't want to put down my Comets. I love them too. And I am so badly overstocked. I'm sure the sweet Comets would love more swimming space. 

An upgrade would be nice! I love your comets too

• Like 1

I'm unwilling to go any larger than 150 gallons or so. We shall see about it. Shrimp has gotten sorta aggressive at feeding times and I think they're beginning to feel cramped. Summer is over and so we need to get them through winter and then hopefully have a new setup by spring. I think Rustic wants to get all big and stuff so hopefully we can have that set up for them. Shrimp is a mighty pretty little Comet lady and I really want to keep her. 

Edited by mjfromga

WOW!!! Big chunky monkeys!!! 

• Like 1

Wow MJ this is really interesting that you weigh your fish.  Do you feed your fish by weight too?  its better to feed by weight?  I was thinking of getting a scale.

• Like 1

Yes I feed by weight and age. It's better for me to do so. I try so hard not to overfeed. The young fish here I feed 2% of their weight daily ideally. Some say to feed more but I like to grow my fish slowly and they live outside so they get extra food from their pond. 

That's good to know.  I'd like to try that, but I'm afraid to hold my fish in my bare hand!  I don't want to use a net, so maybe I gotta try and get over that lol.  Is thier a particular brand or model that's considered good?

Any kitchen scale will work. Any net made for fish will work... I don't mind holding them, but if done wrong... They can jump free of your hand and fall to the ground and hurt themselves, or you can squish them by accident. You have to be very gentle but at the same time, not allow them to jump. I condition mine from a young age to my hands. This way they're less likely to try and jump because they feel safe in my hands. 

Thanks for the info.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Sure thing. Hand feeding them helps them get used to your hands and can be fun. Try it out a few times.