2meat2side

Need help picking a light for aquarium

17 posts in this topic

Hey there ! New to fishkeeping currently cycling my tank in prep for a goldfish . It’s a 20 tall . I have A piece of spider wood i tied Some java fern on and some Anubias . I only have the hood and less my aquarium came with but i plan To take it off and have no top . Been looking at different lights and don’t know what direction to go . I’d like to maybe add some more plants in the future but nothing crazy ! Not looking to spend 200 dollars . Wondering if the Finnex and nicrew lights around 40 bucks are worth it 

How long are you planning on keeping the tank?  If just a short while, I wouldn't spend too much on lights since the plants you have are not high light demanding plants.

If your tank has a plastic frame, the led lights that clips on probably won't work unless you can steathly duct tape it in place - only looks fine if you're using a background to hide that mass of tape, otherwise an LED light strip will be enough to grow your plants.  I use this, but I don't see that size for you sized tank. I wouldn't overdo light intensity, algae would enjoy it and the algae may overwhelm your low light plants: 

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A3998-AquaSky-RGB-36-48/dp/B013U25DE2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1533658871&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=fluval+led&psc=1

No experience with Finnex or Nicrew, just watch the light intensity if you go for them.

Thanks for responding , I’m planning on keeping this tank for 8 months or so just wasn’t sure if the cheap plastic hood with the strip of leds that came with the tank were going to be sufficient . I’ve been getting really into this and of course I’ve been spending a ton of money haha . 

I plan On getting a 40 gallon breeder in the near future . So i dont Want to go crazy spending on this tank . I’m running an aqua clear 70 and a sponge filter in my 20 gallon now . After researching and buying different things and throwing out the junk that came with this aquarium kit i figured The lighting was also garbage 

I can tell ya on my 40B tank I use the Corallife light. It works great on my plants. I have Java fern and moss balls in there :)

What kind of light was it? Do you know the light spectrum, how many LEDs it has and what the wattage of the LEDs are?Sometimes people underestimate what the stock lighting can do. Depending on what you were wanting to grow it could be fine especially if it's short-term. For example if you were wanting to use low-light plants like anubias or java fern sometimes a more powerful light is just going to give you problems with algae instead of making your plants grow better.

But all that said I would tend to lean towards decent quality LEDs as opposed to the older T5 systems. T5s are great and I have several of them but in terms of water penetration and color balance I believe LEDs are superior.

If you are wanting to grow mid-to-high lighting required plants most likely you will have to upgrade.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It has a strip of 4 separate little lights the little light says 3w 

I was going to buy a 24” Finnex stingray led light . And just leave it topless . I tried buying a hinged glass top but it didn’t fit . The tank i have Is super cheap . Grreat choice is the brand I guess the measurements were off by very little 

Yeah that don't sound like much. Some are better than others with providing decent lighting lol

Was it designed for fish or reptiles? I thought great choice only made reptile tanks?

I was going to buy a 24” Finnex stingray led light . And just leave it topless . I tried buying a hinged glass top but it didn’t fit . The tank i have Is super cheap . Grreat choice is the brand I guess the measurements were off by very little 

I am not sure how good it is get as I have not tried it. But this is the brand I am looking to replace my 30in light with.
Beamworks Beamswork DA 6500K 0.50W Series LED Pent Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant Discus (60cm - 24") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4FS6ZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_O1DABbA277F84

• Like 1

It’s a cheap tank . I bought it to save my daughters goldfish from a bowl at her mums house . After the fish sadly passed away i researched A ton and have gotten really into this as a hobby ! I’m cycling my tank now and excited to get fish . I wish I had Bought the 40 gallon breeder i want Now from the beginning but after investing in this tank i want To keep it for a bit . I’ve uprgraded everything filter wise lighting is really my last thing i want To address as I’m digging the live plant thing 

1A928238-0248-46AC-B906-CECEBF2F703C.jpeg

That beam works light you posted looks perfect ! 

Here’s what i have Going on right now just waiting for my bacteria to be right 

6623DF20-1657-4501-B3A8-46850CD4C205.jpeg

okay I have never seen those before but at least it is a tank design for fish. If it had been the reptile tanks like I thought it might have been you would have a problem as they are not designed for the water pressure. It looks like you have a good design going on and with live plants as I'm sure you know when you place them in the tank a lot of times it takes them awhile to start really thriving but once they do they can make a wonderful addition to any aquatic community.

That light might work for those plants. Ferns and Anubias don't need a whole lot of light. :) 

If it was me and your going to upgrade, I would see how the plants go for now, then invest in a light for the 40B tank :) 

• Like 3