ABB63

New 48 x 24 x 16 tank - fish transfer

51 posts in this topic

Hey all, I’m so excited. I just bought a bigger tank for Coco my Shabunkin and Cheetos my Common. They have both grown to about 8 inches body length and are currently in a 40B. Can’t wait to give them twice as much water to swim in.

Question... can I simply use the water from their current tank. Add new water to fill the remainder of the new tank and transfer the fish along with the Fluval 406 canisters at one time?

You can, but if it was me personally I'd just start out with fresh new clean water - and treat this as a 100% water change. Most of the bacteria used for the nitrogen cycle is in the filter, and the remainder are on hard surfaces like ornaments.

And congrats on the upgrade! Look forward to the pics!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your new tank!!!

Yeah pretty psyched. I was worried about 100% water change but the canister is really well established so if I can do a straight out new start I’d love it. I also I’m having a custom tank stand made by a guy I found on eBay that’s 45 mins drive from me. It’s going to be beautiful. I attached a photo of the future stand.

I’ll send a before and after photo

B3920D14-C6A0-4672-BAE0-E891FE7C555B.jpeg

Yeah pretty psyched. I was worried about 100% water change but the canister is really well established so if I can do a straight out new start I’d love it. I also I’m having a custom tank stand made by a guy I found on eBay that’s 45 mins drive from me. It’s going to be beautiful. I attached a photo of the future stand.
I’ll send a before and after photo
B3920D14-C6A0-4672-BAE0-E891FE7C555B.thumb.jpeg.e46d29b54c68e3f56da5420afee2a05c.jpeg
Looks awesome.
Is he using Maple?
I ask because that looks like Maple in the picture. Maple is a great wood I love it but be careful if it is because it is easy to scratch and dent. Not quite as easy as white pine like a lot of store-bought stands are made out of, but still a lot softer than an oak or something like that.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Good question. I’ll have to ask. 

19 hours ago, ABB63 said:

Hey all, I’m so excited. I just bought a bigger tank for Coco my Shabunkin and Cheetos my Common. They have both grown to about 8 inches body length and are currently in a 40B. Can’t wait to give them twice as much water to swim in.

Question... can I simply use the water from their current tank. Add new water to fill the remainder of the new tank and transfer the fish along with the Fluval 406 canisters at one time?

Yes, and I would transfer most of the current water into the new tank along with the current filter(s)  -- with any collected crud rinsed out -- then fill will fresh water.  If you have regularly changed 50% of the water weekly, the fish will find this perfectly normal.   Fish like their water always the same.

Sharon, I mis-typed.  I just have the one Fluval 406 canister filter. I think I will put as much of the old water I can into the new tank. And then fill it up then transfer the fish and the filter. Seems more natural like a water change like you said. I can’t wait to see them swimming around he extra space. 

Posted (edited)

One more question. I’m going from a 40 gallon tank to an 80 gallon tank with two 8” long body fish.  I do a water changes every week now on the 40 gallon. How often do I need to do a water change on the new 80 gallon tank?and how much should I change out? 

Edited by ABB63

One more question. I’m going from a 40 gallon tank to an 80 gallon tank with two 8” long body fish.  I do a water changes every week now on the 40 gallon. How often do I need to do a water change on the new 80 gallon tank?and how much should I change out? 
Most will recommend once a week anyway. But if you want to be sure and get yourself a freshwater Master Test Kit by API. Then you can keep an eye on the water toxicity levels and that will let you know when you need to change the water. After you get a few data point and find out how fast your tank is becoming toxic that will allow you to do water changes without necessarily having to test the water every time. Most try to keep the NO3 levels around 20ppm but as long as you keep it below 40ppm you should be ok. live plants will help with this particularly top water plants for NO3 absorption.

• Like 2

Water changes also help to replace lost minerals as well, which the fish use.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback Daniel and Aussie.  I have an API kit and test every week after my water change. Usullly the NO3 is between 5-10ppm and the ph at about 7.2.

I’ve always wanted live plants. yesterday I saw a huge bin full of mopani at my LFS so I bought I decent size piece and a bag of a few small pieces. I want to ad some plants to the mopani. It’s soaking so hopefully by the time I get the the tank stand in a couple of weeks the wood will be fully leached. 

Daniel, Can you tell me which type of plants are “top water” plants”. Should I use those instead of the Anubias nana "petite" I was going to wire onto the big piece of mopani (which is has long flat profile). Iwas going to use the smaller plants because I don’t want to reduce the swim space too much which is the whole reason for the new tank  

Aussie, I’ll Still do weekly water changes. I was doing 30%-50% with 40 gallon. With 80 gallons and the same number of fish it seems like I could still do 20 gallons and keep things fresh. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback Daniel and Aussie.  I have an API kit and test every week after my water change. Usullly the NO3 is between 5-10ppm and the ph at about 7.2.

I’ve always wanted live plants. yesterday I saw a huge bin full of mopani at my LFS so I bought I decent size piece and a bag of a few small pieces. I want to ad some plants to the mopani. It’s soaking so hopefully by the time I get the the tank stand in a couple of weeks the wood will be fully leached. 

Daniel, Can you tell me which type of plants are “top water” plants”. Should I use those instead of the Anubias nana "petite" I was going to wire onto the big piece of mopani (which is has long flat profile). Iwas going to use the smaller plants because I don’t want to reduce the swim space too much which is the whole reason for the new tank  

Aussie, I’ll Still do weekly water changes. I was doing 30%-50% with 40 gallon. With 80 gallons and the same number of fish it seems like I could still do 20 gallons and keep things fresh. 

You can use both top water and underwater plants like the ones you mentioned. Some top water plants I would recommend are

frogbit

546b325986519ed64c3c76ecfc9838e0.jpg

Red root floater

4d4105dc34cdb771d3a0b27229f8e02c.jpg

Dwarf water lettuce

a53d9b3f7ef56cf31a132c68f9037c40.jpg

I would only recommend getting one variety. And note that the red root floater will not be that color unless under intense lighting.

Also if you have a HOB overflow style filter you will have to segregate the plants from the filter somehow or they will be pushed down into the tank by the current. also any plants you have on top will diffuse and block some of the light from Plants below but as long as you have low-light plants like anubias or java fern stuff like that then you should not have a problem. When the top water plants begin to propagate you can remove as big a portion of them as you wish. They grow quickly and absorb a lot of nutrients from the water so you will most likely be removing plants either weekly or bi-weekly after they really get started.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ooooh.  Those are nice. I’m running a canister filter but I still get flow at the top from the output. I’ll have to look at those. I want try some low first. Here is the mopani that is soaking. I am go into attach some plants to that then on some other smaller pieces in the back area of the tank  

A6444C6D-BD40-4F8F-BC6B-A8490C4FFB5F.jpeg

Edited by ABB63

Nice piece!
You you going to do a blackwater tank? Some of those are beautiful!

That’s a thought. I’ll have to look for examples. My fish hate the light on, that’s one thing I know for sure. They get really riled up but it may be just too bright. It’s one of those lights you attach to the edge of the tank rim.

i believe the anibus is a lower light plant so want with that because I’m not using a light. 

Here is a good comparison video of what either could be.
https://youtu.be/MYNeP5Hi5IE

Good video. I’ll keep looking at the aquascapes. I have never had anything in the tank except for some glass beads on the bottom that they used to play with. I’m excited about having woI’d and plants

• Like 1

Question on Fluval 406 input for new tank. Right now in the 40B i have the return flow about 2” from the surface so that the flow is moving across the top of the water. In this new 48 x 24 x 16 should I keep the return flow up on top or should it be moving water around the middle or bottom of the tank. This is 80 gallons now and I am going to be putting the large mopani and a couple of smaller pieces in with some plants strung to them so they will break the flow. 

What is the best purpose of the return flow in moving the water?

The best filter outflow will agitate the water surface to improve gas exchange.

• Like 1

Well the intake is at the bottom - or near it - so movement at the surface not only ensures good O2 exchange but also allows all layers of water to be filtered.

Thank so much. That’s the way I have it now. The intake is the back left of the tank at the bottom  and the outflow on the back top right. I’ll set the new tank up the same way. 

On 8/5/2018 at 1:18 AM, Daniel E. said:

Looks awesome.
Is he using Maple?
I ask because that looks like Maple in the picture. Maple is a great wood I love it but be careful if it is because it is easy to scratch and dent. Not quite as easy as white pine like a lot of store-bought stands are made out of, but still a lot softer than an oak or something like that.

Just confirmed this week my guy is building my stand is using cherry for the wood. It’s going to be really nice. 

• Like 3

The new stand is ready. Picking it up tomorrow. Check it out. Sooooo excited.   I’m really hoping the tank is in on Friday then it’s game on 

AFE7E531-E995-4873-B0CE-D7382017C8B3.jpeg

• Like 1

That stand is looking real good!

Edit: is there some type of brace connecting the top middle piece to the back - or better yet, the open back piece to the 'floor'.