RobertTheOranda

Lionhead losing color around vent and tummy. Firm stomach.

7 posts in this topic

My beloved lion head has been having no issues at all aside from the color loss and looking plump. She's just recently gotten to full size and I think is due for a set of eggs. However the color loss has me a bit concerned. All I've done to treat so far is to fast her for the past 3 days and to add Epsom salt to her tank at the rate of 1 tablespoon/40 gal. My concerns are that her stomach is really firm. If she was eggy I would expect a really soft belly but I don't know how far along she is.

I will include some pictures as well.One of the pictures is from 2-3 months ago back in April before i moved. In the newer ones you can really see how large her tummy is under the vent VS being round and plump. Looks like a stright drop from her vent. In the pics you can see the loss of color close to the vent and her tummy losing color too.

As always, thanks for the help!

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)  0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10ppm before water change, water has since been changed though
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) n/a
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)   n/a
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API master kit
      • * Water temperature? 67f
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  75g, and 3 months since i moved. Many years before that.
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2x aq 70s and 2x sponge filters
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days, 60g.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 goldfish in the 75g tank, 2 med, 1 small and 1 large.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Give the brand, type of food (sinking/floating pellets, gel food, steamed vegetable, etc.), and how frequently you feed each.
    • Mostly hikari purple, rarely soylent green and i recently started feeding  Zoo Med Spirulina Flake after seeing it on this forum.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? nope
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Just epsom salt at 1 tablespoon / 40gal.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Really firm stomach.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? I would say shes MORE active recently. Zooming around and such. If it wasn't for the color loss id think shes happier than ever!

20180426_231700.jpg

20180730_074303.jpg

20180801_163226.jpg

20180801_163229.jpg

Posted (edited)

Hmm... she may well be eggy, are there males in the tank chasing her?

The loss of color in just that spot could be a natural color change, even calicos do get that, or possibly some new scale growth if some got knocked off.  Did you notice anything like that in the tank?

The firmness is actually a better sign than mushy, but how are her poops?

Is she swimming happily, nosing around and eating or surfing the substrate, or is it more like a dart/bump into the glass/dart action? 

Edited by Arctic Mama

Just now, Arctic Mama said:

Hmm... she may well be eggy, are there males in the tank chasing her?

The loss of color in just that spot could be a natural color change, even calicos do get that, or possibly some new scale growth if some got knocked off.  Did you notice anything like that in the tank?

The firmness is actually a better sign than mushy, but how are her poops?

Is she swimming happily or is it more like a dart/bump into the glass/dart action? 

The male black moore has kind of been around her, but i wouldn't say particularly aggressively bumping her.

Nope, no scale loss. Havn't seen any scales off in the tank. She still feels smooth and all. She has changed colors once before, and i'd even expect for it to happen again. I guess the total loss of color by her vent was the alarming part.

She's been on a fast for three days, I havn't seen her poop since before the last water change. I was going to feed the tank a few shelled peas tonight and then monitor if it passes or not.

I'd say shes pretty happy, not really bumping into anything at all. She did panic at the surface a few days ago but after her huge splash she darted gracefully down to the bottom if the tank and played it off cool.

Gotcha.  If she’s eggy keeping her in the tank with males is a good idea.  At be next water change try to put water a few degrees cooler in and see if you can’t trigger a spawn (sometimes cooler water, right around a rain storm, helps).  Putting a spawning mop or bunch of elodea in there (sanitized with potassium permanganate first, though!) also may trigger more spawning behavior.

If you have no other reason to suspect anything like an infection, I think quarantining her may do more harm than good.  Do resume feeding and up her greens if you can (nori, soft aquatic plants, repashy super green, etc) and watch her poop.  If it is thin and long or casings I’d like to know.  Don’t fast her further.  

Does she feel firmer on one side of her belly vs the other?  Can we get a shot from the top, down, so I can see her top profile?

Just now, Arctic Mama said:

Gotcha.  If she’s eggy keeping her in the tank with males is a good idea.  At be next water change try to put water a few degrees cooler in and see if you can’t trigger a spawn (sometimes cooler water, right around a rain storm, helps).  Putting a spawning mop or bunch of elodea in there (sanitized with potassium permanganate first, though!) also may trigger more spawning behavior.

If you have no other reason to suspect anything like an infection, I think quarantining her may do more harm than good.  Do resume feeding and up her greens if you can (nori, soft aquatic plants, repashy super green, etc) and watch her poop.  If it is thin and long or casings I’d like to know.  Don’t fast her further.  

Does she feel firmer on one side of her belly vs the other?  Can we get a shot from the top, down, so I can see her top profile?

Nope, shes fully firm. I want to say i can feel two sets of firmness.

Is Repashy Soilent Green sufficient? I can go buy some Nori, I sadly don't have any edible aquarium plants on hand. It has been particularly warm and the water from the tap has been warmer than normal too. I will keep the AC on in the living room and that should drop the temp.

I will try to get a pic from above, shes a fast one though.

Soilent green isn’t quite as high fiber, but if you mix some chopped spinach in with it on the next batch the hot water should soften it a bit more and up the greens content.  Your other fish may love it too :)

If you can’t get a picture in tank of her just hold her below the waterline and try one that way.  But if you’re feeling her equally firm that’s a good sign it isn’t a blockage or, say, inflammation in a kidney or her liver.  That’s a good sign to rule such things out.

My I suggest Duckweed. Sometimes that will help :)