fishfanaTic

Goldfish with dots on tail! Please help!!!

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I changed my fish water about five days ago (let the water sit out for a few days) and I did not notice anything wrong with him until last night. I saw a bright red dot last night and this morning I noticed more white dots on his tail. Here is a picture of it.... Wondering what can I do in the meantime to help him. I am going to do 25% water changes everyday (a 5 gallon tank)....

IMG_4860.jpeg

Hi there!  We are going to need some more information about your setup to best help you.  Generally those dots like that are bacterial infections at the site a parasite was attached to, or a cyst, but that’s not always the case.  If your tank is only five gallons we have some other things we can address to help your Goldfish be in the best health it can be.  Please fill out the following form completely, to the best of your ability.

Disease Diagnostic Form

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* How long have symptoms been going on?

I'd also add if you have kept him outside but definitely answer the questions above.

Good luck.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

thank you for answering my question so quickly

Disease Diagnostic Form

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) n/a

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)80 (I know this is high, I've had this fish for about 6-7 years and this is my first fish so I'm not the most experienced... he's never been sick so now I'm trying to the to the bottom of it quickly)* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ph 7.2, kh80, cant remember chloramines but it was high

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? tetra easy strips

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 5 gallons and I've had this tank for about a year and a half (didn't expect for him to keep on growing)

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Top fin 5 gallon gas and I believe the topfin large size filter comes with it

* How often do you change the water and how much? I changed it once about every 2-3 weeks

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? I changed the water about 5 days ago about 25%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 gold fish only

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? none but should I buy some

* What do you feed your fish and how often? twice daily but not a lot

* Any new fish added to the tank? no

* Any medications added to the tank? not yet but I'm thinking may erythromycin

* How long have symptoms been going on? it wasn't there five days ago but I noticed it last night (I feel awful, I wish I noticed it sooner)

and no I do not keep my fish outside... many thanks for taking your time out to read this. let me know if you need me to test my tap but I usually let it sit out for a two days or more before I change it but now I'm considering changing the water in the tank on a daily basis. Will I need to buy a bigger tank? maybe 5 gallons is way too small now that I'm thinking of it.

Edited by fishfanaTic

Welcome to Kokos & hope your Goldfish feels better.

Please read our Guidelines for Healthy Goldfish.   

When you got this fish as a baby, the 5 gallon tank worked well, but he has grown up, and this tank  fits him as well as the crib you slept in as a baby would fit you now.  The small tank, big fish, and infrequent water changes have resulted in poor water quality.  The guidelines will tell you how to fix that.

We recommend Seachem Prime as your water conditioner.  As well as removing the chlorine, it protects the fish from up to 1 ppm of ammonia and nitrite.  You should also get a good water testing kit like the API Freshwater Master Kit.

The tail of a goldfish takes a bit of a beating from a small tank with ornamental objects in it.  White plaques often form where wounds occur.  These, while unsightly, do not bother the fish.  The spot with the red spot in it has become infected.  Once you get a larger tank and increase your water changes, the infection will probably go away without any further treatment.  With more swimming space the tail should heal up completely.

• Like 1

thank you all! I bought a new 20 gallon fish tank and cycling it until it is ready! thank you you alll!!!!!

You have a cycled filter in the 5 gallon tank.  It contains all the bacteria needed to handle the ammonia produced by your fish. If you move that to the 20 gallon along with the new larger filter and clean water, you can move the fish into the new tank now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1