Phoenix

Goldfish stressed and not eating, don't know why????

210 posts in this topic

The quarantine tank is just a 10 gallon Rubbermaid bin in my kitchen 

His quarantine tank is just a 10 gallon rubbermaid bin in my kitchen. Today is the second day in QT, and he's already begun eating again. Any suggestions on how to go about redoing my tank? I plan on only keeping the plants and filter (not the media) but I don't want to get all new stuff for it not to work. I've seen people with terracotta pots and I may want to try that out because I kinda feel I should go bare bottom. Should I sterilize it in anyway? Bleach solution? I was planning on doing a 9:1 bleach solution and rinsing, then letting the tank sit for a few days, and then proceed to redo it. 

Can you move your filter, as is, over to quarantine and run it?  I want to see if he stops eating if the filter is going after a week or two?  It might not be the substrate or tank, but something in the filter.  Or it might not, and if you don’t need to nuke your entire cycle that would save a lot of time and energy.

I’d run the rank bare bottom with a few large river rocks and a mug or pot for him to hide in, maybe anchor an Anubias to the side with some aquarium safe glue.  But we need to figure out if it is the substrate, the filter, both, or neither.

I will move the filter over to quarantine maybe monday. I want to give him a bit more time to adjust to the QT before I potentially make him sick again. Sucks I have to experiment on the poor guy but we gotta do what we gotta do. I've got a large water wisteria that I am very proud of, any way I can incorporate that into the new tank design?

I was planning on moving the filter to his bin today because I finally had time, but I saw that the bump that he had on his head is now this. He had the bump the entire time he was in the bin and in the tank. He had a bump last time too but that went away.

IMG_20181020_092744073.jpg

IMG_20181020_092737874.jpg

Should I still add the filter or do something about this blemish?

I’d worry about the hole being related to hexamita, with that plus the poor appetite, but we already treated with metronidazole, correct?

and yes, if he is eating well again in quarantine try moving the filter over.  We should know in a week or two whether that is positively or negatively impacting him.  Did you dump out any mulm in the bottom like Koko suggested?

Edited by Arctic Mama

I have not given him a metro treatment. We have given him a treatments of erythromycin, kanamycin, methylene blue, and furan. I currently have the API General Cure that was accidentally sent to me which is large part metro, but if I should get something like metroplex I believe I can, but if the GC can work that'd be great too. And yes I have dumped out any gunk or mulm just as koko suggested.

Okay, so if you haven’t dosed any general cure or metronidazole yet we should do a two week course of that.  I hate doing any more meds but with the appetite issues plus the head lesion it’s a logical step.

Ok I'll go ahead with the GC. I'm happy he at least got a break from meds for a solid two weeks. I'll start treatment and give you updates! Thanks again :)