Phoenix

Goldfish stressed and not eating, don't know why????

182 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone! I am new so this is my first post, but I really need help. I have an almost 2 year old comet goldfish in a 55 gallon tank (I know this is too small but it's all I can afford ATM). The first week of me moving him into the tank went well, but now I've run into issues. It's about the 3rd week in and he's not very active and has developed fin rot. For last couple days he has been clamping his dorsal fin and he hasn't been eating my pellets. I tested the water ammonia:0 nitrite:0 but nitrates have been fairly high around 40. I have been doing water changes every other day to keep the tank clean for the fin rot but something tells me his behavior is more than just the rot. He has had white poop almost all his life and this is the first time he hasn't shown interest in food. This has been happening for quite some time. I am ready to go to the store and get some API General Cure but I still don't know what's really wrong with him. Could this all just be the high nitrates? Or perhaps the crazy temperature change we had? Or is it a parasite? (Concerning the picture, his fin isn't always clamped. When he's alert it's straight up and occasionally he will bring it back up)

15322735369772092759434.jpg

Edited by Phoenix

Please copy & paste the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems.  If copy and paste doesn't work for you, just quote this post and type your answers after each question.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?

You have a water quality problem, and we need the answers to all of these  questions to determine what is wrong and how to fix it.

Your tank is big enough for two goldfish once we handle the water problem.

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

• .25 ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

• .25 ppm
* Nitrate level(Tank)

• 40 ppm
* Ammonia Level(Tap)

• 0 ppm
* Nitrite Level(Tap)

• 0 ppm
* Nitrate level(Tap)

• ~10 ppm. City website says average stays around 11 ppm
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines

• ~8. Results were a bit hard to decipher, but leaned towards 8
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

•  ~7.4 pH. Do not have means of testing KH, GH or chloramines
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

API liquid master kit
* Water temperature?

79F
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

Around 3 weeks. 55 gallon
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

Fluval aquaclear 70 (cycled media)
* How often do you change the water and how much?

25% twice a week normally, now 25% every other day
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

Yesterday, 25%
* How many fish in the tank and their size?

One comet goldfish. Around 5 inches. 2 nerite snails
* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Seachem prime
* What do you feed your fish and how often?

Omega one pellets but he stopped eating those so I fed peas. Now he won't eat peas. Normally was fed Omega one pellets twice a day
* Any new fish added to the tank?

No
* Any medications added to the tank?

Not currently
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Treated with seachem paraguard for a fungal infection the week of June 20th. Treatment lasted 6 days
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Frayed fins
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Clamps dorsal fin, doesn't eat, mildly lethargic

3 hours ago, shakaho said:
  • I copied your answers onto the form.  You wouldn't believe how much easier that makes it for us to read.

I don't know why your fish has lost it's appetite.  It looks perfectly healthy.

•  
  •  
  •  
  • Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)  0.25
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)  0.25
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)    40 ppm %0

Oh alright then. Any tips on how I could somehow influence him to eat?

I can't advise on medical but you could try a few bloodworms and see if they get him to eat something.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Live? I've also read garlic might work 

Live if you got them but I was thinking frozen.
Garlic is great and if you make gel food you can add some to that. I have saw people soak medicated pellets in the juice so I'd say you could try his normal pellets in it also and see if that works. Just remember that if he does not eat to remove the food so it does not foul the water.

Live? I've also read garlic might work 

Alright, I will see what I can do. Thank you for the help :)

If it was me I would try Duckweed. Most goldfish can't resist it.

Also is that bridge hollow?  If so I would take it out it could be holding water in it :o 

Thanks bridge isn't hollow and I don't know where to get duckweed. I also have a bit of an update, his tank smelled atrocious yesterday and I just did major cleaning but it also looks like he has a bit of pop eye. Today he seems more active but he hasn't eaten in 2 days, today may be the 3rd and I am leaving to go out of town tomorrow for 3 days and I am at a loss because I don't know what to do

As far as eating he will be fine for a week without food. So if he doesn't eat before you leave I would not worry too much about that. What I am concerned about is the water quality especially with everything you're talking about. I would definitely go ahead and do another big water change before you leave and try to get all of the contaminants out that you can. If you could get ahold of some duckweed you could throw that in the tank before you leave but other than that I would not add any extra food pass it will just foul the water.

You will need to treat the Popeye as soon as possible if that continues. Is there someone that can come in and check on the fish or Medicaid while you are gone?

Thanks bridge isn't hollow and I don't know where to get duckweed. I also have a bit of an update, his tank smelled atrocious yesterday and I just did major cleaning but it also looks like he has a bit of pop eye. Today he seems more active but he hasn't eaten in 2 days, today may be the 3rd and I am leaving to go out of town tomorrow for 3 days and I am at a loss because I don't know what to do

No there isn't anyone. I have concluded that as soon as I come home I will purchase General Cure. It's difficult because the only other person who could possibly medicate the fish is also on vacation. My grandmother will be coming in to turn the lights on and off and feed my guppies, but she will not be feeding my Goldie. I really do appreciate the help because I am at such a loss.

And I just completed a large water change and cleaned out my filter. 

Also this tank has been running for around 3 weeks (used already cycled media), I dont know if I mentioned this.

I also have Seachem's Paraguard but I don't know how that does against pop eye.

No that won't help with popeye. Remember if you are running meds to take the chemical filtration out. So no carbon.

Right. Will treating for internal parasites work? He also has white poop so that kinda tells me has has internal so I am going to get general cure today

Right. Will treating for internal parasites work? He also has white poop so that kinda tells me has has internal so I am going to get general cure today
That could be why he is stressed. Killing and getting the parasites out if his system if he had a bad infestation can cause a lot of stress. I'd also be careful with over medicating as that can sometimes do more harm than good. I'd run the parasite cure until the end of it's recommend dose schedule.

Alright, I will start medicating today and be careful not to overdose. Thank you for the help!

If your tank smelled that bad that means something in there isn't right. If there is small holes in the bridge that could cause it, or to much sand in there. How often do you dump the water out of your filters and how often do you clean them? 

I just recently dumped the filter water and traditionally I do every month. Bridge is completely solid and I stir up my sand occasionally. Update is that my fish has started lying down but still swimming occasionally. It has been suggested to me that he may be blocked up by sand or air bubbles so I am now trying to gt him to eat peas. Also the water smell is similar to seachem prime. Are there any suggestions you have to get him to eat the peas?

Prime smells like the toxic products of anaerobic decomposition.  Pay attention to what Koko tells you.  

You should replace water that smells like that.

I did a big clean and it doesn't smell like that anymore

I thought it was the anaerobic bacteria but now the smell isn't as bad. But if it is that, what would I do to combat it? I am really open to everything that could be wrong with my fish and I do appreciate all the help