sakl48

Small (stunted?) black goldfish

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm new here, so if I'm not following proper procedure in any way, please offer gentle guidance!

I have a 1,000 gallon pond with (about!) 15 to18 goldfish and 8 to 10 red nosed minnows.  The pond is about 3 years old, has lots of vegetation and has an in-pond mechanical filter and an external bio filter that consists of two 1/2 wine barrels filled with lava rock.  The pond seems very healthy.  I originally stocked it with two 8" goldfish, a blond standard and a blond/orange comet, soon after adding a number of goldfish "feeders" of mixed colors and types (standard and comet).  I later added the minnows and a couple shubunkin.  The fish have bred the last two seasons and I now have quite a family.  In the batch of feeders were three black coloration, standard goldfish. Their batch mates are now around 6 - 8" while they are only about 2 to 2 1/2".  Fish born and raised in this pond are now larger than these three black colored fish.

Can anyone tell me why these particular fish are remaining small?

Welcome to Kokos!!!

Perhaps those little black fish are not goldfish.  Lots of things, including minnows, can get tossed into the feeder tank.  

Black isn't really a color for a standard goldfish. I'm with Sharon. Perhaps they aren't goldfish at all. 

I do have a black comet, he has grown faster than any of my other fish though and has overtaken my previous biggest fish. 

But with them not growing that much maybe they aren't goldfish. I do have several very small fish that just don't grow. Do you have any pictures? I know that might be hard with a 1000g pond

Thank you for the responses.  It looks like it is now Fish Identification time...  I may well be wrong about my little buddies being goldfish.  Most of the time, I can't even spot them against the black liner, let alone get a clear look at them.  I do have a vase that is perfect for fish portraits:  About 18"h x 12"w x 3"d, and a background in photography.  While I have other pressing obligations at present, I'll try to post a picture of one of these fish soon.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

Thanks!  The photos should help, especially with good direct light.  

I have a couple of bronze goldies that look black when viewed from the top, which may the the case of the OP?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk