Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Goldfish

We lost all our four year old fish. Snails to blame?

4 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, here is the video about losing all three of our four year old goldfish.  We have a new Ryukin in the tank now checking things out to see if everything is ok.  Got a 10 gallon quarantine tank setup for the next fish we put in.  After that I think I might give raising some nerite snails a try.

And in case anyone missed it here is the video with the story of our four year dirt planted goldfish tank.

Those were beautiful fish.  Losing all of the fish usually indicates toxic water. 

I notice pebbles in the bottom of the tank.  If you go to any pond forum, you will see people complaining that their fish are dying after enjoying two years of good health.  The experienced people always ask the same question-- "Do you have stones in the bottom of the pond?"  The answer is always yes.  

The spaces between the stones collect debris that rots.  The decomposition process uses up oxygen, and may release toxic gases.  

Read all of Walstad's book.  It's loaded with sound information.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the response Shakaho.

I read Walstad’s original book four years ago when I was first setting up the tank and actually re-read her updated version last year.  Obviously I’m doing a modified version since I still have two box filters rated to 120 gallons to maintain good oxygenation and periodically do 30% water changes.

I would of course agree that a sudden loss of fish would most likely be caused by something toxic in the water or food.  But the reason we don’t think that was the issue was because the tank tested its normal zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.  The only significant thing that could have rotted would be a couple of nerite snails, but they don’t burrow down into the 1 inch of gravel.

In the first six months of our tank we would see bubbles percolating up from the organic potting soil as it broke down, but that never seemed to be a problem.  It doesn’t really seem plausible that the small and consistent amounts of fish food, fish poop or decomposing plants that might get under the gravel, which the fish are constantly pecking through, could cause a lethal release of anything to kill off two healthy fish in a 120 gallon heavily planted and well oxygenated tank, but we could be wrong.

The reason we suspect the spiral snails was that Big Red was always searching through the top leaves looking for algae and (we now realize) snails.  Once she was gone for a month the spiral snails, for the first time, were able to come down onto the lower leaves and glass.  Once Lighting and Scout, who were always much more likely to forage in the mid level to bottom of the tank, had access to them, we think they began feasting on them for the first time.

At least that’s what we suspect, hard to know for sure.

I lost all my fish and there was definitely not a water quality issue. I always kept tabs on it and even when all the fish were dying, there were no issues detected. Losing all the fish after a long time of them being healthy doesn't always equal a water quality issue.