Sign in to follow this  
mjfromga

Ohanyu

7 posts in this topic

So I keep getting told that much like goldfish, it's usually a good idea to keep Cichlids in pairs... I decided I will TRY it out. Mary was a bossy little girl around the other Blood Parrots and so I decided not to get another Blood Parrot. 

This is Ohanyu. He is a Firemouth. They don't need huge tanks and don't grow huge. They're said to be only semi aggressive same as Blood Parrots, as well. I REALLY wanted a Jack Dempsey but they get too big and aren't as compatible so this one worked. 

Not from Walmart and so not sure whether he and Mary came from the same distributors and so I decided to quarantine him. He will be outside and as it's July in Atlanta, same as Mary... He doesn't need a heater or anything. He's only 3 grams. Very SHRIMP. 

Once he passes quarantine, I will put him with Mary. If it doesn't work, I will return him. If it does work, I have TWO pretty Cichlids. His personality is clearly very different than Mary's. He is skittish. He looks healthy though.

He wasn't aggressive towards any others in the tank. I watched for a long time before I picked one. I didn't want an aggressive one because I don't think that would be best knowing Mary. Perhaps this will work. He is faster and more agile than Mary... so hopefully he doesn't turn aggressive. 

IMG_20180710_163619_kindlephoto-2205245434.jpg

IMG_20180710_160355.jpg

IMG_20180710_163736.jpg

IMG_20180710_163629.jpg

• Like 1

I was careful with temp acclimation but he doesn't seem to have adjusted well. He won't really swim anymore and I offered a pellet and he would not touch it. I've had this happen a few times with goldfish and the outcome is usually not good. It might be a pH difference because it's never happened with a Walmart fish but has happened a few times with Petco and PetSmart fish as well as two fish I got online. I hope he comes around. 

I tried to put him under a bit of shade since I know these fish like to hide. Hasn't had any effect. He still won't touch food and will barely move. This has happened before and almost always results in death. I believe it's a pH issue because healthy looking and normally behaving fish go immediately to lethargic and refuse food. Sucks. I really liked this fish and wanted him to do well. 

How is he doing today? 

He seems okay. He has begun to eat. Never when it's offered but the food is always gone now rather than sitting in the tub. He swims a tiny bit but not much. Apparently my QT isn't appropriate. He isn't like a goldfish. He's terrified sitting out there on the back porch. There's no where for him to hide and he's just super stressed. Firemouths are apparently very very timid and shy. He's more likely to stress and get sick or die out there so I will shorten QT. I will leave him a few more days and then move him. 

21 hours ago, mjfromga said:

He seems okay. He has begun to eat. Never when it's offered but the food is always gone now rather than sitting in the tub. He swims a tiny bit but not much. Apparently my QT isn't appropriate. He isn't like a goldfish. He's terrified sitting out there on the back porch. There's no where for him to hide and he's just super stressed. Firemouths are apparently very very timid and shy. He's more likely to stress and get sick or die out there so I will shorten QT. I will leave him a few more days and then move him. 

Do you have a tera cotta pot? that would work in there for him :) 

I went ahead and moved him this morning. I'll keep an eye on them both. So far... Everything is okay. Mary is only a little bit mean.