Kokos Goldfish Forum
Caretta Rose

Best filtration for 75 gallon

I'm looking for recommendations for a filter in my new (to me) 75 gallon aquarium.

I'm looking at cannister filters - does anyone have any experience with brands I should be aware of? I've only used HOB filters in the past.

You could try Sunsun Canister filters. I think they’re good starters. 

I personally reccomend an fluval FX4/6. Its a beast, but would do well for your tank. Good brands include eheim, fluval and sunsun (a cheap alternative).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I really liked the Ehiems :) 

On 7/7/2018 at 10:48 PM, aussieJJDude said:

I personally reccomend an fluval FX4/6. Its a beast, but would do well for your tank. Good brands include eheim, fluval and sunsun (a cheap alternative).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This is actually what I ended up with. They were on sale for almost 60% off at my LFS. I went in to "just look" but ended up walking out with an FX6! Looking forward to setting it up, but a little apprehensive about the size.

On 7/12/2018 at 5:40 PM, Caretta Rose said:

This is actually what I ended up with. They were on sale for almost 60% off at my LFS. I went in to "just look" but ended up walking out with an FX6! Looking forward to setting it up, but a little apprehensive about the size.

How do you like it, I haven't had one of those yet :) 

How do you like it, I haven't had one of those yet  
Koko, it is one heck of a canister. Endless options for media. Only con for me was the strong output which I remedied by replacing the stock one with a spray bar from a SunSun (bought off Ebay).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On 7/31/2018 at 9:04 PM, muffluvin said:

Koko, it is one heck of a canister. Endless options for media. Only con for me was the strong output which I remedied by replacing the stock one with a spray bar from a SunSun (bought off Ebay).

Thats one canister I have eyed the other is there computer controlled one but that one is over kill on the price :o 

Just keep on checking petsmart brick and mortar locations. They go on sale/clearance from time to time. Got mine on Black Friday 2016.

Thats one canister I have eyed the other is there computer controlled one but that one is over kill on the price  

On 7/17/2018 at 11:20 AM, koko said:

How do you like it, I haven't had one of those yet :) 

Sorry for the delayed response. So far so good! It's extremely quiet for it's size and fits perfectly in my cabinet. I just have the basics in there at the moment, I haven't had time to tinker around with customizing just yet. I am quite happy with my purchase so far.

At this point, the flow rate seems fine. I have the output nozzles angled more towards the surface for more agitation. However this might change once I am fully cycled and adding fish - they might get blown away! LOL.

I purchased some wood from my LFS and have been soaking them in a barrell for the past 4 weeks to leach out some tannins. I'm home with a summer sickness (on a long weekend to boot!) and had some time to finally add them to the tank. This is the view from my seat right now. I am hoping to root some Anubias to them and have plans on rooting some pothos from above. My boyfriend wants to build a shelf above the aquarium and put some of our larger house plants up there. We are trying to minimize decorating this place because it is in a half-reno state for the next couple years (pay no mind the wallpaper LOL).

Everything is coming along, slowly but surely. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 5.20.46 PM.png