Pic of the week
jen626

Will hose chlorine kill good bacteria?

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I have been a member here for ages but have been inactive for a long time, hello to those of you that are still here from way back when!

My step son and daughter-in-law just moved into a new house that has a 5000 gallon koi pond, which they know nothing about how to take care of. I only know how to do tanks but very little about ponds. When I got here today they had the hose running into it and I was concerned that that would kill all the good bacteria with the chlorine from the hose? Or does that not matter with a pond so much? There is no fish in it currently but they want to add some small koi. It has DIY filters in garbage cans with lots of bacteria balls. Is the chlorine from the hose going to kill all the good bacteria? Do you use dechlorinator like you do in a tank? Thank you so much!

20180703_100956.jpg

It depends.  If the pond was empty and they filled it from the hose, then they will have to add some dechlor or aerate the pond for a week or so to drive off the chlorine.

Many koi people say, as a rule of thumb, that you can change up to 10% of the water without adding declor.

The effect of chlorine on the nitrifiers of an established filter gets greatly exaggerated.   Most pond people clean their filter medium with the hose, with no loss of nitrification.  Even if they lose a lot of nitrifiers, a few small koi  in a 5000 gallon pond will not raise the ammonia level in the pond significantly before the nitrifiers recover.

I recommend they join the local Koi Club    Check out this one.  Koi people love to give advice.

• Like 1

Is it possible to sway them on the goldie side? Could have quite a few goldies in their opposed to a couple of koi... not to mention, it would be a goldie dream!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I wish! He has some common goldfish in there but is mainly interested in (expensive) koi. I told him to just get a few small ones and some Goldfish and see how they do over the winter and if he does well with the water then to try getting some nicer ones in the spring but like all kids (he is 30 lol) he doesn't always listen!

• Like 1

Such a waste of goldie potential! 🤣 Best of luck with the koi, I know they can command a high price tag especially if he's looking into high quality.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk