Kovi

Hello everyone. I'm Kovi

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I'm Kovi.

I'm fairly new to keeping goldfish but have been in the aquarium hobby for ages. I kept various different species of fish...too many to name.

I've been wanting to Keep fancy goldfish for a while now, mainly red capped Orandas which I fell inlove with and so in January 2018 decided to get two red capped Oranda cuties to get me started and dabble in goldfish keeping, one out of the two survived due to the second not being of quality but just got him for company for the one I chose. Now the one I have chosen has grown so beautifully and his wen is forming magnificently.

I currently have various species of lake Tanganyikan Cichlids but my favourite fish was my red capped Oranda, so I decided to order more from a reputable source which ensured quality Oranda. I needed up ordering 21 red capped Oranda beauties at 6cm sizes, and purchased a orange/red lion head which was too cute to pass up.

Undoubtedly my red capped Oranda fish and the lion head are my favourite, most entertaining, interactive and inquisitive fish I have kept so far. Their robust nature and cute faces has gotten me hooked and my mission is to give them the best care I possibly can to ensure their health and happiness 100%.

I've been feeding these guys tetra bits, Hikari fancy goldfish and spirulina flakes and have decided now to make my own gel food to ensure they get the best diet. I've made my own DIY Cichlid gel foods from recipes I created from research on various recipes and customizing it from what I thought was best which my Cichlids thrived on, grew beautifully and bred quiet often.

Any advice or recipes on DIY gel food for my Orandas will be highly appreciated since the premade gel foods such as repashy isn't available in my country so I have to work with raw ingredients from scratch.

I'm currently working on their bigger better setup which will be ready in a month or two.

Thanks in advance guys and looking forward to your feedback.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

I just want to say a quick welcome to the board! I can understand why you like orandas so much, they certainly one of my favourite fancies - besides ryukins....

Wow, 20 odd goldies are certainly a lot! I can't imagine the size of tank you have them in.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I just want to say a quick welcome to the board! I can understand why you like orandas so much, they certainly one of my favourite fancies - besides ryukins....

Wow, 20 odd goldies are certainly a lot! I can't imagine the size of tank you have them in.

Thanks buddy. Yeah they awesome and I agree ryukins are my second favourite for sure.

Well I have them in a 4ft holding tank currently until they other tanks are ready which will be in a months time. They only babies at the moment at 5/6cm, and they will be split up into different tanks. Total volume of water in tanks will equal to around 1000litres. Which also brings me to the question of should I split them up in a months time or should I wait and as they grow larger then start splitting them up ? I do want the best specimens to go into my display tank in my lounge and the rest will go into the aquariums in my fish room.

I would split them out sooner rather than later... decreased number of fish equates to better water quality, which equals to reduced hormones in the water - which can lead to loss in size or wen growth - and more water volume per fish, so a lot more forgiving of water parameters...

• Like 1

Thanks buddy. Will be splitting them up earlier in that case. I'm sure they will be fine for a few weeks in their current tank whilst I setup the other tanks for them. I wish I had a massive 2000galon tank like Joey but instead load it up with goldfish lol haha

I would split them out sooner rather than later... decreased number of fish equates to better water quality, which equals to reduced hormones in the water - which can lead to loss in size or wen growth - and more water volume per fish, so a lot more forgiving of water parameters...