Jump to content
Fastlane

Sand/ substrate Question

9 posts in this topic

Hello Koko’s Goldfish!!

just wanted to ask how many pounds of sand do I need for a 40 gallon breeder? Vs how many pounds of gravel for a 40 gallon breeder? Plus does sand clog a HAng on back filter? Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant comment on the pounds. Ive always done it by eye when buying the substrate, and hope for the best. I never really bother weighing.... (thankfully all the - 3 - times ive did this, its been 'just right'.


I can comment that the sand should not clog a HOB unless you do something crazy like pour sand on the intake or throw handfulls of sand in the HOB. Once waterlogged, sand is rather 'dense' and rarely travels more than a couple of inches up the water column.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aussieJJDude said:

I cant comment on the pounds. Ive always done it by eye when buying the substrate, and hope for the best. I never really bother weighing.... (thankfully all the - 3 - times ive did this, its been 'just right'.
 

Me too, I have always just looked and see. :) 

1 hour ago, aussieJJDude said:


I can comment that the sand should not clog a HOB unless you do something crazy like pour sand on the intake or throw handfulls of sand in the HOB. Once waterlogged, sand is rather 'dense' and rarely travels more than a couple of inches up the water column.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 

I have killed one filter with sand. That was cause I didn't let the sand settle down after sand sifting during a water change and when I turned the filter on it got sucked up :o So just be careful about that :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sand or gravel, make it about a half an inch deep.  I don't know how many pounds that weighs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see thank you so much for the responses. I mean am not literally going to weigh how many pounds of sand. But an estimate of how many bags of sand did you use on your experience? Again appreciate the insights. ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fastlane said:

I see thank you so much for the responses. I mean am not literally going to weigh how many pounds of sand. But an estimate of how many bags of sand did you use on your experience? Again appreciate the insights. ☺️

If it was me I would go with a ten pounder and then see how it looks, if you need more then you could get more. Just remember more than 1/2" of it :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, koko said:

If it was me I would go with a ten pounder and then see how it looks, if you need more then you could get more. Just remember more than 1/2" of it :) 

Thank you Koko👍🏽 I’ll try this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now