Sign in to follow this  
Chris1251

Temporary relocation of my boys...

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Chris here....  😋

Hi Kokonuts,  I need some advice please....  🙃.  In the near future, our home is to be tented for 3 days for treatment of termites...  It will be some type a gas treatment...   Dang it....  

I need to get the boys out of the house.  I know that I’ll have to put them in more than one tub, and some how protect all their media... My boys are pretty good size.  Their bodies average 4 inches, nose to peduncle (not including tail fins).  Their tank is a 75 gallon with 2 AC 110’s, 1-4” sponge filter and 1-5” sponge filter.   So here are my questions:

1.  What size tubs would best for at least 4 day stay?   Assuming that each tub will have to support 1 AC 110, 1 sponge filter and two of the boys.

2.  I need to know how to protect the tank from contamination...  I will drain and remove all the decore...   But the tank itself...  Do I need to get it out as well?  If so, would it be fine outside on the patio?  Should I wrap or cover it with something to protect it from the elements?  Or will it be too close to the house while it’s being treated? 

3.  When resetting up the tank....  Do I just do a good cleaning with vinagar water of do I need to do a bleach rinse before I reset up everything?

4.  Should I delay bringing them home after the House is treated?  (Letting the house air out for a few days???)

Your advise is greatly appreciated...  

Hugs, Chris.  😍☺️

Pic is not the best, but you get the idea.... 😋

60F054EA-CA70-4636-BA85-1822653BDF45.jpeg

Edited by Chris1251
Add photo...

Bump....

I had my apartment tented years ago. This is what I did.

I took all my fish out into buckets and the media into another bucket. Then I changed 50% of the water everyday where I had then and my filter running too.

The tank:

I took trash bags and taped it to the top of the tank, Making sure it was sealed off. Then When I got back I did a water change in the tank, and let the filters run in the tank for about 2 hours then I put the fish back in. If you make sure the tank is sealed off then it shouldn't be a problem :) 

You could get two rubber maid containers run your filters in them and do 50% water changes. :) 

18 hours ago, koko said:

I had my apartment tented years ago. This is what I did.

I took all my fish out into buckets and the media into another bucket. Then I changed 50% of the water everyday where I had then and my filter running too.

The tank:

I took trash bags and taped it to the top of the tank, Making sure it was sealed off. Then When I got back I did a water change in the tank, and let the filters run in the tank for about 2 hours then I put the fish back in. If you make sure the tank is sealed off then it shouldn't be a problem :) 

You could get two rubber maid containers run your filters in them and do 50% water changes. :) 

Chris here...  Thank you Koko! :heart   I’m on the hunt for 2 larger rubber maid tubs...  Were the trash bags the big black ones for sealing the tank up?  Or the white Kitchen type?  I was thinking of Just draining the tank and leaving it empty while the house is empty...  but I always do 100% water change each week...  So I’ll just leave the old water in the tank and water change it before I bring the boys home...  I was concerned that I would have to do a major sterilization of the tank it self...  or that I would have to get it totally out of the house during the tenting....  75 gallon tanks are pain to totally relocate and then bring back...  heavy beasts...  I told my Hubby that 75 gallon is as big as we will ever go....  Huge difference from a 40....  😱😋😱😋

Hugs,

Chris

1 hour ago, Chris1251 said:

Chris here...  Thank you Koko! :heart   I’m on the hunt for 2 larger rubber maid tubs...  Were the trash bags the big black ones for sealing the tank up?  Or the white Kitchen type?

I used the black outside garbage ones. and then duck taped it to the top of the tank. I did take off my filters as they bulged the trash bag. You just want the tank and lid and lights only on there. This way the bag is nice and flat on the tank and then Tape it closed as closed can be. So no chemicals can get in there.

1 hour ago, Chris1251 said:

I was thinking of Just draining the tank and leaving it empty while the house is empty...  but I always do 100% water change each week...  So I’ll just leave the old water in the tank and water change it before I bring the boys home...  I was concerned that I would have to do a major sterilization of the tank it self...  or that I would have to get it totally out of the house during the tenting....  75 gallon tanks are pain to totally relocate and then bring back...  heavy beasts...  I told my Hubby that 75 gallon is as big as we will ever go....  Huge difference from a 40....  😱😋😱😋

Hugs,

Chris

I would just make sure you clean the out side of the glass after cause that stuff does leave a residue on the glass and anything it touches. :o Yup thats why I left my 45 gallon tank at the apartment when I had that done :o 

• Like 1