Fish Of Gold

White Bumps are back again

38 posts in this topic

I made a DD thread about this issue with my goldfish Comet not too long ago. Here is the post: 

The bump went away on its own last time and he was fine, but now there are 2 bumps in the past few days. One went away from his Left side after 3 days but there are 4 scales still sticking up oddly where the bump used to be. Yesterday I seen another one forming on the other side now and this one which is on his Right side is way bigger today. Should I do anything, or be worried about why Comet keeps getting these white bumps? 

DSCN1093 (2).JPG

Coping this for you, but if you could re do your water quality for us again :)

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 In Tank
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 In Tank
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)  5.0 In Tank
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0 Tap
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 Tap
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0 Tap
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0 In tank
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)   7.8 Tap
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API Drops
      • * Water temperature?  70 F, No heater
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  40 Gallon Breeder, Running since February 2015
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua Clear 70 and an Aqueon 30
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Change 50% or more once a week. 
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 Days ago about 60%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 Fantails, 2 inches, 1 5/8, and 1 1/8 the last time they were measured less that a year ago. 
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Give the brand, type of food (sinking/floating pellets, gel food, steamed vegetable, etc.), and how frequently you feed each. A mix of Omega One Goldfish Pellets, Southern Delight Goldfish Pellets, Elive Goldfish Color Granuals, and Thera A+, All are sinking pellets fed once a day. On Weekends I feed either Blood Worms or Brine Shrimp instead of pellets, occasionally some Cucumber slices or cooked peas a few times a month. 
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? I added 2 goldfish after their quarantine last year. I bought them in August 2017 to add to Icicle's Tank to make 3 goldfish total.  I think that they were just treated with salt. Metro, and Prazi for the recommended amount of time for new fish quarantine.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  I think just Salt and Prazi in the past, including their original new fish quarantine and occasional Prazi prevention treatments yearly.  
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Big white bump on head behind his left eye. His left eye looks a bit cloudy.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Occasional bottom sitting since I noticed the bump 2 days ago, He isn't on the bottom every time I look in his tank though. He still swims eagerly when I enter the room like nothing is wrong. Eats very well still. 

I would for now put the fish in to QT, that does look like some kind of bacterial cyst there. 

Also tell us what kind of meds you have on hand :) 

• Like 1

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 In Tank
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 In Tank
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)  5.0 In Tank
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0 Tap
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 Tap
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0 Tap
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8 In tank
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)   7.4 Tap
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API Drops
      • * Water temperature?  82 F, No heater
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  40 Gallon Breeder, Running since February 2015
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua Clear 70 and an Aqueon 30
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Change 50% or more once a week. 
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today (6/18/18) ~ 75%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 Fantails, 2 inches, 1 5/8, and the last time they were measured less that a year ago. 
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Give the brand, type of food (sinking/floating pellets, gel food, steamed vegetable, etc.), and how frequently you feed each. A mix of Omega One Goldfish Pellets, Southern Delight Goldfish Pellets, Elive Goldfish Color Granuals, and Thera A+, All are sinking pellets fed once a day. On Weekends I feed either Blood Worms or Brine Shrimp instead of pellets, occasionally some Cucumber slices or cooked peas a few times a month. 
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? I added 2 goldfish after their quarantine last year. I bought them in August 2017 to add to Icicle's Tank to make 3 goldfish total.  I think that they were just treated with salt. Metro, and Prazi for the recommended amount of time for new fish quarantine.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  I think just Salt and Prazi in the past, including their original new fish quarantine and occasional Prazi prevention treatments yearly.  
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Big white bump on Right side. There was one on his left side too a few days ago.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?  He is acting and eating normally. 
  •  

I changed the info that needed changing in the list above. There are only 2 fish in this tank now, this is the  same tank where Cosmo lived until he just recently passed away earlier this month. Meds That I have on hand are:  Oxytetracycline, KanaPlex, MetroPlex, and Furan-2  And I also have Aquarium Salt, Epsom Salt, Canning Salt, and Colloidal Silver. 

First thing I would like you to do is to add a half dropper of silver in to the main tank :)

I would put him in QT and add salt into it for now. I want to see what the other helpers thing too but lets go with that right now :) 

Also when do you dump the water out of the HOBs? 

1 hour ago, koko said:

First thing I would like you to do is to add a half dropper of silver in to the main tank :)

I would put him in QT and add salt into it for now. I want to see what the other helpers thing too but lets go with that right now :) 

Ok, I'll had 1/2 dropper of silver. I'll have to see if I can go back and get the QT tank from storage tonight, it is storming pretty bad and flooding out there right now plus we have to walk to get there  :Dancing:  Maybe I can go right after I send this message, there seems to be a little bit of a calm period right now before the next storm is supposed to hit tonight. Eeek!  :hide:

1 hour ago, koko said:

Also when do you dump the water out of the HOBs? 

Usually we only dump it when the filter gets too much hard water mineral build up that makes the propeller stop (about monthly) Then I will dump it and rinse out the sponge, scrubber, and ceramic rings in old tank water. Then I will soak the filter case and propeller, tubes, filter media holder etc. in vinegar to clean it, then rinse and refill with the media that I have been keeping wet in a bowl of tank water. Otherwise Every other week I just squeeze out all the filter media in the draining tank water during the weekly water changes but I don't dump the water out of the filter on those days. 

6 minutes ago, Fish Of Gold said:

Ok, I'll had 1/2 dropper of silver. I'll have to see if I can go back and get the QT tank from storage tonight, it is storming pretty bad and flooding out there right now plus we have to walk to get there  :Dancing:  Maybe I can go right after I send this message, there seems to be a little bit of a calm period right now before the next storm is supposed to hit tonight. Eeek!  :hide:

Usually we only dump it when the filter gets too much hard water mineral build up that makes the propeller stop (about monthly) Then I will dump it and rinse out the sponge, scrubber, and ceramic rings in old tank water. Then I will soak the filter case and propeller, tubes, filter media holder etc. in vinegar to clean it, then rinse and refill with the media that I have been keeping wet in a bowl of tank water. Otherwise Every other week I just squeeze out all the filter media in the draining tank water during the weekly water changes but I don't dump the water out of the filter on those days. 

Hi Amy. I was just reading your thread and saw you mentioned hard water build up that makes your propeller stop. I have VERY hard water and what I do is I have extra impellers for my Marineland HOB filters and I switch them every couple of months and soak the other ones in white vinegar. It removes the calcium build up. It  does a great job and I don't have problems anymore.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fish Of Gold said:

I would dump the water out every time you do a water change. I only clean my filter media every other water change and just one at a time. Dumping the water out of the HOB is a good thing to do every water change cause its the one holding all that gunk in there. When doing a water change your trying to clean out everything but not kill off the BB's in the filter. But dumping the water out will not harm then as they live in the filter media :)

The silver will help kill off the bad bacteria in the tank if there is any and will help the fish some what. I just want the D&D helpers to see so we can't give you the right meds for this fish :) 

51 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

Hi Amy. I was just reading your thread and saw you mentioned hard water build up that makes your propeller stop. I have VERY hard water and what I do is I have extra impellers for my Marineland HOB filters and I switch them every couple of months and soak the other ones in white vinegar. It removes the calcium build up. It  does a great job and I don't have problems anymore.

Oh wow that is a GREAT idea!!! Thanks so much for the tip!! :D 

25 minutes ago, koko said:

I would dump the water out every time you do a water change. I only clean my filter media every other water change and just one at a time. Dumping the water out of the HOB is a good thing to do every water change cause its the one holding all that gunk in there. When doing a water change your trying to clean out everything but not kill off the BB's in the filter. But dumping the water out will not harm then as they live in the filter media :)

The silver will help kill off the bad bacteria in the tank if there is any and will help the fish some what. I just want the D&D helpers to see so we can't give you the right meds for this fish :) 

Ok, I'll have to start dumping the water out of the filter every change now. I actually never thought it was necessary....Hmmmm come to think of it, there is a bit of a cloud that comes out of the tropical fish's filter after starting it back up after a water change. Gee I guess I know why now, ewwww! :yikes

I added a half dropper to the main tank ;) Poor Icicle thought I was turning the light on because I was coming in to feed her a treat LOL!  :feedme   :teeheePlus I practically speed-walked to the storage to get the QT tank, I walked even faster every time I saw lightening!! :krazy: So now the tank is set up and Comet is in the QT, but I needed to ask you what type of salt and how much do I have to add per gallon? 

Morton's Canning & Pickling Salt 3/4 teaspoon per gallon in there :) 

yeah when we don't dump the water all that stuff in the filters water goes right into your nice clean tank :o 

I bet your fish where so confused. How is the storm doing? how are the fish doing in this ? :)

4 minutes ago, koko said:

Morton's Canning & Pickling Salt 3/4 teaspoon per gallon in there :) 

yeah when we don't dump the water all that stuff in the filters water goes right into your nice clean tank :o 

I bet your fish where so confused. How is the storm doing? how are the fish doing in this ? :)

Ok I'll go add the salt shortly ;)  

Yeah I guess that makes sense that the filters would accumulate gunky stuff in it. :thumbdown 

Yes they were confused seeing that I already had the tank lights off for the night. Then Comet was like "heyyyy what's going onnnn??" as I lifted him out of the main tank and put him in the measuring cup bowl to take him into the kitchen where I always set up the QT tank. He was thinking "Hey mom wasn't I just in here? UGH! Now you owe me a special frozen fishy food treat if you make me stay in here again so soon!!" :tantrumHe sure is demanding isn't he? LOL! :rolleyes: :rofl

• Haha 1

Well now they can both rest and you too. I hope that storm passes you soon :) 

1 minute ago, koko said:

Well now they can both rest and you too. I hope that storm passes you soon :) 

Oh me too! There's so much rain that it looks like a fast moving large stream running around the side of our home and into the back yard that flows right thru all of the neighbors back yards all the way to the other side of the block! My cat sure hates storms too, but my birds love it and are chirping like crazy even though it is their bed time LOL! Well we will be OK as long as we don't loose power like the neighboring city did tonight. At least no tornado watches/warnings so that's good, just flash flood watches plus It is SOOOO hot! 

Today there is another white bump on his right side about a half inch behind the other white bump, plus the place on his left side there is another white bump in the same spot the other one just was that went away in the place where the scales were sticking up. So now he has 3 large white bumps! :undecided: 

Has any of them popped off? IF you can't feel them see if they are hard or soft or come off easily :) Still talking in the back :) 

1 hour ago, koko said:

Has any of them popped off? IF you can't feel them see if they are hard or soft or come off easily :) Still talking in the back :) 

I checked on him while I was cooking dinner at 6 this evening, and the bumps are still there so none of them popped yet. I'll have to check the feel of the bumps tomorrow morning, then I'll let you know :) 

I just took him out and put him in his big bowl and held him half way out at the surface of the water, I seen that 2 of the bumps were gone with just a hazy white patch left in each spot where the bump used to be. The 3rd bump was still there and even bigger than yesterday but when I barely scratched at it, it ripped open as if it were almost as soft as just a dot of softened butter. He started wiggling too much to get the ragged piece that was left of the bump off, but I assume it will fall off as he swims around anyway. It looks like there may be another tiny one starting near his tail but I couldn't get him to sit still long enough so I'm not sure. 

Ok, lets bump the salt to .2% and see how the fish is tomorrow. Also I would like you to change 50% of the water every other day. Keep it as clean as you can for now. If the cyst left an open wound then I would swab it with HP :) Make sure not to get it in the gills :) 

23 minutes ago, koko said:

Ok, lets bump the salt to .2% and see how the fish is tomorrow. Also I would like you to change 50% of the water every other day. Keep it as clean as you can for now. If the cyst left an open wound then I would swab it with HP :) Make sure not to get it in the gills :) 

How much salt per gallon is .2%? :hummm

It doesn't look like an open wound, just a slight bump with the scales slightly sticking up where the dots used to be. But he does wiggle and swim so fast I can't see for sure. 

Does HP mean Hydrogen Peroxide? 

The last piece of that last bump fell off as I was feeding him today, but now it has seemed to reappear in the same spot where I scratched it off earlier today, so he still has just one white bump visible right now.  Should I scratch it off again to pop it, or just leave it alone?  

3 hours ago, Fish Of Gold said:

How much salt per gallon is .2%? :hummm

It doesn't look like an open wound, just a slight bump with the scales slightly sticking up where the dots used to be. But he does wiggle and swim so fast I can't see for sure. 

Does HP mean Hydrogen Peroxide? 

The last piece of that last bump fell off as I was feeding him today, but now it has seemed to reappear in the same spot where I scratched it off earlier today, so he still has just one white bump visible right now.  Should I scratch it off again to pop it, or just leave it alone?  

Just add another round of the salt you already added in. 

"Morton's Canning & Pickling Salt 3/4 teaspoon per gallon in there :)"

Yes Hydrogen Peroxide :)

Nope don't pop it leave it be :) 

4 minutes ago, koko said:

Just add another round of the salt you already added in. 

"Morton's Canning & Pickling Salt 3/4 teaspoon per gallon in there :)"

Yes Hydrogen Peroxide :)

Nope don't pop it leave it be :) 

Oh ok, I'll add more salt :) 

Alright, I have a bottle of HP handy. :) 

Ok, I'll leave his bumps alone then :) 

Do I have to add anything more to the main tank where Icicle is, like more C Silver or anything? 

3 hours ago, Fish Of Gold said:

Oh ok, I'll add more salt :) 

Alright, I have a bottle of HP handy. :) 

Ok, I'll leave his bumps alone then :) 

Do I have to add anything more to the main tank where Icicle is, like more C Silver or anything? 

Nope :) 

Truth?  Since there have been recurring problems in the population and treatment addresses the symptoms, but doesn’t eliminate the cause?  It could very likely be viral.  And short of nuking the entire system and starting over with completely new animals, there isn’t much for it.

Koko’s advice for treatment is good to mitigate symptoms, but given the history?  Don’t be terribly shocked if it abates and then comes back again in a few weeks or months.  It happens, and even the very best fishkeeper can’t cure a virus in a system where the hosts haven’t all died.

Fingers crossed the silver does help and I’m totally wrong and we never see symptoms again, though :D

Comet's white bumps are gone now, but today he has some black coloring on the edges of his tail fins and they are starting to look a little bit ragged. Plus it looks like he might be pineconing a little bit. 

Is all hope still gone, or is there anything I could at least try???? 

DSCN1122.JPG