mjfromga

Cute Blood Parrot

48 posts in this topic

WOW everyone looks happy together. :thumbs: 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 9:44 PM, koko said:

WOW everyone looks happy together. :thumbs: 

Yup. She does try to eat them every now and then but her mouth is too small to eat them. Mary had some extra stress spots. I had a crappy pH swing. Gosh I hate my tap water. Her tank is at 8 pH and of course the tap is near 9. I have to buffer more. Crappy tap water sucks. 

IMG_20180914_125139~2.jpg

How low does you ph go to? 

I saw it drop below 7 to around 6.4 in a bit over 24 hours. If left alone and not buffered, it crashes QUICK. I cannot keep any sensitive species of fish. They would die instantly. It comes from the tap at nearly 8.8 or sometimes off the charts. 

18 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I saw it drop below 7 to around 6.4 in a bit over 24 hours. If left alone and not buffered, it crashes QUICK. I cannot keep any sensitive species of fish. They would die instantly. It comes from the tap at nearly 8.8 or sometimes off the charts. 

Thats just crazy MJ. 

Could you age your tap water and keep fish that prefer very soft water? I know some fish are found in nature as low as around 4.5-5ph

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Yup. My water sucks butt. Many species of fish cannot live in it at all. Goldfish do okay and Blood Parrots are pretty versatile. I think it isn't great for Betta fish though. I think it harms them. 

I have never seen it fall below 6. And I mean maybe I could, but IDK how and it sounds like a pain in the royal... Well you get it. 

Yeah I was just thinking a stable low PH would probably be easier on the fish than a Swingin pH. I know one of my betta tanks right now, the black water tank. Is roughly 6 pH and doing great but it is stable.

Yup. My water sucks butt. Many species of fish cannot live in it at all. Goldfish do okay and Blood Parrots are pretty versatile. I think it isn't great for Betta fish though. I think it harms them. 
I have never seen it fall below 6. And I mean maybe I could, but IDK how and it sounds like a pain in the royal... Well you get it. 

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Bettas do better at 6 pH than 9 pH. That makes sense. I could maybe try it in a small tank, but this is not realistic for a larger tank. It doesn't swing if I buffer it but it's possible to forget or not add enough and then yeah... It can swing. 

Edited by mjfromga
  • Like 1

Water buffered and all is well. Mary's stress spots are gone and all 6 Barbies as well as Mary are happy. I removed the Bamboo plants. They're growing and I figured they would appreciate the extra room. 

Here is everyone today. All 6 barbies and Mary are doing just fine. 

• Like 1

Looking Great

Wow that isn't the right video! That's when the Barbies were in QT... OOPS! Silly me!!! 

5 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Looking Great

Lol... My bad. That was an older video. This was from yesterday. I copied the wrong link! 

Hi Myra!!! Hope Mary is doing well!!! Last week I decided I wanted a fish for my 55. I went to the LFS and got a BP!!!! I LOVE him or her!!! Everyone in the tank gets along GREAT!!! Yay!!! It's always a hit & miss with Cichlid's!!! She eats just fine with the rest of them!!! I will get some picture's soon!!!

3 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

Hi Myra!!! Hope Mary is doing well!!! Last week I decided I wanted a fish for my 55. I went to the LFS and got a BP!!!! I LOVE him or her!!! Everyone in the tank gets along GREAT!!! Yay!!! It's always a hit & miss with Cichlid's!!! She eats just fine with the rest of them!!! I will get some picture's soon!!!

You got one too? YAY! Aren't they great?? Can't wait to see yours. 

They are such GREAT fish!!!! I just LOVE him!!!!

DSC04126.JPG

DSC04129.JPG

• Like 2

They are great. He looks a ton like Mary of course. I hope you enjoy him as he grows. 

Hey look at that the Blood parrot twins :rofl

That just awesome you got one too. I have always loved those guys :) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, koko said:

Hey look at that the Blood parrot twins :rofl

That just awesome you got one too. I have always loved those guys :) 

You get one now too! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

You get one now too! 

:lol I wish I need a handy "the Sims' wall tool so I can expand the house :tomuch: 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 6:34 PM, DawnMichele said:

They are such GREAT fish!!!! I just LOVE him!!!!

DSC04126.JPG

DSC04129.JPG

Here's Mary and her 6 Barbies today. All is well here. Mary is a little sweet heart. Blood Parrots are really awesome. @koko you really have to get one lol

• Like 1

You definitely have to get one Koko!!!   :thumbup2: