mjfromga

Cute Blood Parrot

39 posts in this topic

I've had this fish for an entire day now lol... She's super cute. I had heard they were friendly but I also heard they're usually very shy at first. This thing isn't shy at all. She will already hand feed easily and she will even let me touch her a bit. She isn't scared of my hand at all. I love this fish already. Even most of my goldfish weren't this bold with my hands... And especially not so early. 

• Like 1

Mary is sooooooo cute!!!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

Mary is sooooooo cute!!!!!

Omg right? Cutest little monster ever. I guess goldfish aren't the only friendly types of fish. 

Right now it can only eat TINY food because it's very small and Blood Parrots have weird mouths and so it's very hard to hand feed, but I want it to get used to my hands so when it's a bit bigger, I can still hand feed it. It really enjoys company. 

I always liked watching those guys at the store. They are so neat to look at 😀

• Like 1

I've never seen them at any stores here. I've seen them on YouTube though and they've always been so cute to me. Their little humps and how friendly they always seemed... But I didn't know they were THIS friendly. But they're a lot like fancy goldfish, they're prone to swim bladder issues and feeding issues due to their mutations. They've also been known to get gravel stuck in their mouths a lot due to its small size and odd shape, but they aren't suitable for bare bottom so I have to get sand. 

6 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I've never seen them at any stores here. I've seen them on YouTube though and they've always been so cute to me. Their little humps and how friendly they always seemed... But I didn't know they were THIS friendly. But they're a lot like fancy goldfish, they're prone to swim bladder issues and feeding issues due to their mutations. They've also been known to get gravel stuck in their mouths a lot due to its small size and odd shape, but they aren't suitable for bare bottom so I have to get sand. 

They do sound a lot like a goldfish. I sure wish you the best with this guy. He sure is a keeper :) 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, koko said:

They do sound a lot like a goldfish. I sure wish you the best with this guy. He sure is a keeper :) 

Thanks a ton Koko. I got this thing because I just can't take anymore sweet little goldfish dying on me and I figured I wouldn't be as attached to a different type. But honestly it didn't work. I'll be just as sad if this one dies because she's so personable. 

Awe, the pictures aren’t showing for me, some server error.  Congratulations on a new fish though!  I’ve heard Blood Parrots are lovely.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Awe, the pictures aren’t showing for me, some server error.  Congratulations on a new fish though!  I’ve heard Blood Parrots are lovely.

They're videos... Sorry they aren't showing for you. She's a really sweet little thing. I had heard they were friendly but she's really something else. I've been bonding with her so that when she begins to grow a bit, she'll be comfortable with me. Perhaps you can click the link? It's just YouTube. 

https://youtu.be/9qE1ZJiE9-0

It's bittersweet though. I did have to put down my remaining two goldfish from my back pond and lost another to a pH crash in the front pond... But I love fish and there isn't anything that can keep me from them. 

Edited by mjfromga

5 hours ago, mjfromga said:

Thanks a ton Koko. I got this thing because I just can't take anymore sweet little goldfish dying on me and I figured I wouldn't be as attached to a different type. But honestly it didn't work. I'll be just as sad if this one dies because she's so personable. 

I know that feeling. Every time I lost one it broke my heart. In fact when I lost Pharaoh I almost just wanted not to deal with goldfish again. But I got back on that horse and just keep trying. I do have to say the two I do have now are the happiest goldfish I have owned. Goldfish even though he's got two tumors on him, he's doing great. They keep breeding in the tank. :)

49 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

They're videos... Sorry they aren't showing for you. She's a really sweet little thing. I had heard they were friendly but she's really something else. I've been bonding with her so that when she begins to grow a bit, she'll be comfortable with me. Perhaps you can click the link? It's just YouTube. 

https://youtu.be/9qE1ZJiE9-0

It's bittersweet though. I did have to put down my remaining two goldfish from my back pond and lost another to a pH crash in the front pond... But I love fish and there isn't anything that can keep me from them. 

Do you have any goldfish left ? Thats just so sad, Im sorry to hear about that ph crash. That has happened to me before when I first moved up here to Oregon. :( 

• Like 1

I only lost one in the front. There are 6 left. I haven't lost them all yet but the numbers keep dropping. I still enjoy the goldfish but the massive losses have disheartened me for sure. 

12 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

I only lost one in the front. There are 6 left. I haven't lost them all yet but the numbers keep dropping. I still enjoy the goldfish but the massive losses have disheartened me for sure. 

That is the hard part is loosing them in the masses :( Im sorry. :( 

• Like 1

It's okay. Things happen. I really don't blame myself for the pond loss. Whatever it was I couldn't fight no matter what it was. I am sure it was foreign. Not a single fish was able to recover in the end. I think I will stick to my Walmart fish. They truly were my healthiest fish for the most part. The ones supplied here all come from the same place. 

Tank going through some big changes to better suit the different species of fish. THANK YOU DAWN... You're such a sweet lady. 

• Like 1

Your so welcome Myra!!! The tank looks great!!! Does Mary like the food?

• Like 1

Mary loves the food. But I haven't found a food Mary doesn't like yet lol. She is very greedy. Her tank is starting to look blood parrroty now rather than goldfishy lol. Few more modifications and I'll be happy with it and done. 

Finally got a size on this thing. She is 9 grams. Quite the shrimp. She's getting some color though. 

IMG_20180702_174234.jpg

IMG_20180702_174305.jpg

• Like 3

New pics of Mary today. The scale number got caught in the flash by accident but Mary is 16 grams now. She's got a bit of black on her, which will go away in time and is fairly normal for Blood Parrots. She's my little baby. 

IMG_20180805_151020.jpg

IMG_20180805_151003.jpg

• Like 2

Mary looks great!!!

• Like 1

Thank you Dawn. She's really a sweet little girl. Love her. 

She's 19 grams now. Doing quite well. Sweet little mush. 

IMG_20180901_164634.jpg

IMG_20180901_164716.jpg

• Like 1

Mary is looking good Myra!!!  :thumbup2:

• Like 1

Growing up nicely :thumbs: 

On 9/3/2018 at 2:29 PM, koko said:

Growing up nicely :thumbs: 

Thanks. The Barbies were fighting and being bad as you saw... But all is well now. Here's Mary and her new Barbie tankmates. All doing well. Nobody fighting. That bossy Barbie got his act together once they went in with Mary. Barbies gotta stick together now lol

• Like 2